Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have examined the forums pretty closely and I'd like some input from the considerable knowledge and experience that this forum has got.

I have my main land detector which I like very much. I am also looking for another detector that will serve three purposes:

1. Act as backup to my main detector;

2. Allows me to hunt in bad weather;

3. Allows me to hunt at salt water beaches up to and including the wet sand (not much surf hunting for me).

Now both the Wader and the ATP seem to fit the bill. Both are waterproof. They operate on vastly different frequencies (2.4 and 15).

Both have their fair share of criticisms, especially related to the quality of construction. But it also appears that both companies have largely addressed these issues and I would consider both to be reliable.

I like the concept of the Wader, with the controls on the headphones which makes the unit lighter overall. The very low frequency of this detector (2.4 kHz) seems to make it ideal for wet salt sand, but it won't hit on small gold very well.

The ATP has newer technology, but I do see a great deal of criticism about its performance in wet salt sand, while some others say it does fine. Also, you have to buy the waterproof headphones seperately, which adds to the cost.

So if anyone has any thoughts, I'd very much like to hear them.

And no, I am not going to buy a Minelab. Too expensive for me right now and I don't trust used detectors. Just a personal thing.

Thanks folks! :icon_salut:

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't say much for the DetectorPro....

The AT Pro works OK in the salt water environment. You just have to ground balance in the dry sand, wet sand and again in the water and maybe adjust sensitivity down until it's stable. It's not difficult, just pump the coil a few times while holding the ground balance button. Depth is still good, I got a lead weight and rusty hook at about 10" in knee deep water.

As for headphones, the ones that come with the AT Pro are water resistant, not waterproof. If you are not going to submerge them (you say you are not into surf hunting), the stock ones will work just fine, even in a light rain. (Been there, done that)

Good luck with your decision.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Never had a Detectorpro Wader .......... But i do have a Garrett AT Pro .......... had to send it back twice then i sent it in for the upgrade.... Never used it in salt water ....... But it seems to be working fine.... But i still just don't trust it............. so when i go detecting i take my .....Sovereign Elite ....Minelab will still repair the Elite.......... and my Garrett GTI 1500........... Oh i picked up this Elite for $300.00 And it works great........ And i know all about the Sovereign's i have had every one made from 1992 right to the present........But what i hear Detector pro detectors arte a good detector.......... But a lot don't like them for they don't have enought bells & whistles for some...............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used a Detectorpro Wader but had a friend that liked his for freshwater. Not ever using one, I can't comment on how well it works at saltwater beaches in the wet sand or in water, but it operates near the same frequency as the Fisher 1280 which sometimes has trouble at salt beaches while the CZ-20/21 being a dual freq does lots better.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Detectorpro circuit is based on that of the Fisher 1280 but modified to better cope with saltwater but neither detector will match other beach machines that you will competing with.

The Detectorpro has been improved all round, no flip over of the ear pieces for instance breaking the wires. We (Europe) have to send them back to the U.S. for repairs if needed but excellent service from the company. The Garrett feels rather cheap.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
I have both machines, I give Garrett full points for putting out a VID unit and I like mine for rain hunting the higher frequency is nice.
Having to use a pigtail adapter to use other headphones was a bit annoying.

The Wader I've used for a few years now and has always been good even in dry ground I've dug buffalo nickels at 9 inches a keeper machine in my books.

I don't have anything bad to say about either machine so if your good with beep&dig the Wader, if you want to dig on ID the Garrett.

Dan :thumbsup:

Eagletalon

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2011
I have the Wader and really enjoy using it. I have only used it a few times in the ocean but did find a nice silver ring and clad. I have also used it in Tennessee looking around old homesites. It worked very good a both locations with the sensitivity set around 9 and the discrimination at 2. I also seem to be getting very good depth with these settings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread