Garrett AT PRO v.s. Tesoro DeLeón

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Northeast Ohio, the Tesoro will beat the pants off the Garrett. If you were farther west, and your soil a bit more mineralized, I would probably go with the Garrett. But, hey, I lke Chevy's over Ford's every time! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
L

lededoop5125

Jul 11, 2013
North-East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites- Coinmaster Pro, Garrett- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any suggestions on a Tesoro between 4 and 600$ that will perform better than the At pro.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had both the Vaquero & Outlaw. Both fine detectors and the Tesoro loyalist will tell you how much better they are than any other detector they compete with. As will the Garrett contingent!

It's a personal preference thing PERIOD. You want someone to tell you T is better than G, you won't have any problem finding it. Then there will be the loyal ATP users that will disagree. Each side with explain their answers and each side is going to flat out lie to you and throw blanket statements out because only their experience counts.

You want a single tone machine w/o a screen thats lightweight and great on batteries. Get the Tesoro.

Want a multi tone machine that has TID #'s thats also good on batteries. Get the ATP.

DO NOT believe anyone that tells you one is deeper than the other. Some will say the screen will lie to you...hard for a number to lie really since it's just a digital interpretation of a targets conductivity but they'll cling to the belief none the less.

Last edited:

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
So quick question fella, if the tessoro is a single tone machine, how do you determine if your target is a coin or junk?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So quick question fella, if the tessoro is a single tone machine, how do you determine if your target is a coin or junk?

There is a discrimination knob. So say you have the knob set to just below nickels. You should pick up all targets that have the same conductivity as nickels. Now, you turn the disc knob up past nickel and way the coil over the target again. If the signal went away, it might have been a nickel. So on so forth on up the conductivity scale on the disc knob.
Best thing about the Tesoros I've used including the lowly Compadre, is they are very good at ID'ing a good portion (not all) of aluminum trash. They give a distinctive scratchy tone on a lot of trash. However...not all trash is created equal and some still sounds good!

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
Have you heard much about the 3 tone golden u max? I was prepared to get an at pro but have really been thinking about tessoro.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you heard much about the 3 tone golden u max? I was prepared to get an at pro but have really been thinking about tessoro.

Not a lot. It's a fixed ground balance machine so I have little interest as most of the areas I hunt in are pretty highly mineralized. Love some of the features it has like notch width and multi tone. If it had a manual GB I'd be on it like white on rice.

Seem to have heard something about them being back ordered because of problems too...don't quote me on that!

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
I was just now reading up on the Tejon. Seems people love it for coins and relic hunting. I'm in Indiana so not sure what my soil condition is considered.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just now reading up on the Tejon. Seems people love it for coins and relic hunting. I'm in Indiana so not sure what my soil condition is considered.

If I were you I would call Tesoro 928-771-2646 or hit up their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Tesoro.Metal.Detectors and ask the experts what machine would best suit your needs and wants. I own the Compadre; Cibola; Vaquero; Tejon; Lobo Super Traq; and Sand Shark. My suggestion is the Vaquero. Good Luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Terry said, the Vaquero should do you very well. :icon_thumleft:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Terry said give them a call. Don't be surprised if the president of the company talks to you. I called once to ask questions and he was the only one available and he gladly took the call. We shot the breeze for the next 20 minutes about detectors and everything else. The folks at Tesoro will gladly take the time to answer your questions and help you decide which Tesoro is best for your hunting needs and soil type. I can't say enough about the great folks at Tesoro.

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
I just keep getting nervous about not having a screen. So it's between the ATPro and the best Tessoro they have.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So it's between the ATPro and the best Tessoro they have.

Well, that just doesn't exist! There may be a "best" for certain situations but they, like ALL other manufactures, don't have a single "best" detector!

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
I see that you have both a Tesoro as well as the AT Pro. Which do you prefer and why? I am definitely getting the ATP or the Tejon.

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Vaquero and ended up sending it back. Didn't much care for it.
BUT a lot of people like Tesoro for whatever the reason. I prefer something
with depth reading and good pin pointing mode. I would definitely buy the AT PRO or AT GOLD
if I were hunting in mineralized ground or hunting gold nuggets.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
people at Tesoro are great, years ago I wasn't even their client at the time and they answered all my question via email and even more impressive, I noticed they were not trying to push me on buying things like other brands did

so, big thumbs up to Tesoro

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people need a display screen, some don't. Without the screen you really learn to listen to the tone and can tell a good target by disc. setting and how the tone sounds when passing over the target. Bear in mind there are several things you will find that despite your disc setting will have the right conductivity and shape to give a good clean tone. Chances are these same targets will fool a display machine. I don't have displays and at present that is just my personal preference. Now that doesn't mean I won't ever try a detector with a display.

If you need the display check out the AT Pro, M6, MXT Pro, the Xterra series, Omega, T2, Fisher F series. All good detectors with different features. Personally if I were to get a display machine I would take the Xterra 505 or 705 over the AT Pro. That is just my personal opinion, others will disagree.

If you want beep and dig, Tesoro is the answer with the Outlaw, Vaquero, and Tejon. You also get a lifetime warranty.

Below is a mineralization map link where you can look up the ground mineralization for your area. Go to page 35 of 63 and look up your area for iron content.
MINERALIZATION MAP

Good luck in your decision!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
If I had to choose between the AT Pro and a Deleon, I'd go with the Pro. Only because for me personally I would take either an Outlaw or a Vaquero over a Deleon. If the AT Pro wasn't waterproof I wouldn't even look at it.
I like certain models from all manufacturers, but Tesoro's put the fun in md'ing. The only machine I've used that I didn't like was the Ace 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread