Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cranman said:
I just got a Pro Pointer with my new MD, I am very impressed with it and wouldn't want to detect without it. A few times it seems to go crazy though, beeping somewhat erratic even when held up in tha air. I have turned it off and back on and it clears up. Is this normal?

Could be caused by a low battery or interferance from your detector.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree Bad Battery, If changing, and it doesn't fix the Problem Send It back for A Replacement!!!! Chug

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noticed mine was doing the same today. Guess I'll try changing the battery.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is doing the same thing, but its NOT the battery. I think its almost time to send it in, but I have never dealt with Garretts customer service before. How is it?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VWandSTUDEBAKER said:
Mine is doing the same thing, but its NOT the battery. I think its almost time to send it in, but I have never dealt with Garretts customer service before. How is it?

Garrett's customer service is top notch. Give them a call and explain the problem, they'll offer a solution and/or ask that you send it in. It'll take longer for shipping than Garrett will keep it for service. At least that was my experence. 4 days there, 3 days service and 2 days back... (I think Fed-EX lost it at one of their hubs resulting in the 4 day shipping it to Garrett.)

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi /low tone suggests the battery is low. Erratic beeping can be multiple things, it's best to send it in if you've changed the battery. Garrett turns them around in about a week. If it beeps when you press it hard into the ground, make sure you have a small rubber or foam piece in the battery cap, that helps push the battery down to a tight contact.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
If your Garrett very sensitive to banding and touching it can be broken Garrett Pro Pointer coil inside tip. When I opened my ProPointer and cutted coil off I found broken coil... Very fragile plastic rod inside copper wire IMG_2588.JPG Pro Pointers coil. Never bend or push GArrett Pro Pointer with force you will brake coil. Bad design Garrett...

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent mine back twice for the same thing, it still acts up but not as bad as before. I did put a piece of velcro in the cap to push the battery down and that seems to have helped.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
BP if Garrett Pro Pointer tip is sensitive to pressure your garrett has bad-broken coil. Pushing batteries will not solve anything.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also make sure your not picking up EMI from power lines,ect. Mine acted up the other day,and I looked up,and sure enough,I was right under some power lines. Once I was out of the area things went back to normal. Another thing I have noticed with mine is,if I leave it on while digging,it will pick up signals from other targets,(my digging tools,the detector shaft, shallow trash in the ground it's laying by,.ect. I think it tries to process those signals,and get's confused?:dontknow: I do know it is a lot more accurate if I turn it off,and on with each check. It may have the same effect as a " Hard Boot" on a pc,and keeps it cleared up,I'm not sure,but I do know it makes a difference with mine?

Last edited:

Bob62

Greenie
Mar 14, 2010
woodstock GA.
Detector(s) used
white's mxt and classic id. and Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just got the Garrett pro pointer yesterday took it out today and turned it on it done fine went to turn it on again nothing so i hit it and it's been working ok any one else had this happen

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a Pro Pointer with my new MD, I am very impressed with it and wouldn't want to detect without it. A few times it seems to go crazy though, beeping somewhat erratic even when held up in tha air. I have turned it off and back on and it clears up. Is this normal?

Yep thats normal for garrett pro pointers to act erratic beeping in mid air beeping with nothing by it ....changed batteries same thing made sure the foam was under the battery cap holding battery tight.....placed more foam to hold even tighter...still erratic and acts up when it wants to....best thing to do is buy a minelab or another spare garrett pro pointer maybe 1 of the 2 will work when its needed

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep thats normal for garrett pro pointers to act erratic beeping in mid air beeping with nothing by it ....changed batteries same thing made sure the foam was under the battery cap holding battery tight.....placed more foam to hold even tighter...still erratic and acts up when it wants to....best thing to do is buy a minelab or another spare garrett pro pointer maybe 1 of the 2 will work when its needed

If you would use it for more things besides testing bottle caps, you might have better luck. :D

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you would use it for more things besides testing bottle caps, you might have better luck. :D
seems to work best with bottle caps i think all garretts do ;-0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread