OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey have you found anything in your collection with it that has caused any concern?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in High School one of our science teachers was also a professor at the Colorado School of Mines. He brought in a number or minerals as well as two types of Geiger counters to make his presentation on radiation and radioactive materials. In a nutshell it was explained and demonstrated that most naturally occurring radiation was harmless and the stronger forms of radiation from natural sources, Radon gas was one example, are long term exposure problems. Man made concentrates are more of a threat than anything you'll encounter in nature. By and large you'll recieve more radiation exposure from medical/dental x-rays, flying on aircraft or sitting in front of old CRT TV's then you will with all but a small handful of certain minerals.
My thoughts fuss.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Urainium can be found here in Montana, and I know the spot to look, but I don't want any of it in my house lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured as much, But I do have a lot of rocks and minerals in my office, buckets full in the closet, my son also has a collection on his bookshelves full of granites and syenites (Yooper's), limestone fossils etc.. Just want to make sure our new hobby isn't secretly a long term health hazard. I may pick up a Geiger anyway, could be interesting to do testing with.

Back in High School one of our science teachers was also a professor at the Colorado School of Mines. He brought in a number or minerals as well as two types of Geiger counters to make his presentation on radiation and radioactive materials. In a nutshell it was explained and demonstrated that most naturally occurring radiation was harmless and the stronger forms of radiation from natural sources, Radon gas was one example, are long term exposure problems. Man made concentrates are more of a threat than anything you'll encounter in nature. By and large you'll recieve more radiation exposure from medical/dental x-rays, flying on aircraft or sitting in front of old CRT TV's then you will with all but a small handful of certain minerals.
My thoughts fuss.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh, no worries. There'd not be to many of us old rock hounds around if it were a problem ;) You might be surprised at some of your finds but in all they are pretty harmless unless dropped from high places on unsuspecting heads and feet.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Basically anything with potential radioactivity you don't want to keep in your pocket, under your bed, on your nightstand, etc. - otherwise you're good. I have a friend that's a mineral dealer and deals in Autunite and even that isn't too big of a problem and that has one of the highest concentrations of uranium in nature. His recommendation was what I put in the first sentence and in a sealed container.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a small grouping of uraninite crystal at the Franklin, NJ zinc mines. It ready reasonably high. I would read about 10' away, nothing more than that, but I kept a lower grade piece and sold this beauty for a few hundred $$$ to a dealer. It has a cluster of tan thorvetite crystals (micros) perched on it. It wasn't worrisome, but I have carnotites from PA and really not much else. They are barely 1,000 cpm.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread