genealogical website allows DNA for "other" things

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have had my DNA done several times and thought it was neat however the future of its purpose could have another agenda. NAHHH, Thats crazy thinking and not normal until today where I read about this California case.Now im glad the "genealogical website was used for good in this instance but I think it will open doors.....https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...deangelo-fights-dna-collection-effort-n870981

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
If any of my kin folk are serial rapists or murderers, please use my DNA to nail them to the wall. You have my permission.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
In the late 80's, in the city where we lived until retirement, in the snow zone, a high school girl was found in her car in a major local shopping center. No clues until this year. The detective who inherited the cold case after the original detective retired read the California case. The killer's blood was all over the steering wheel, and they kept good samples.Yes, they found him. An old man now, he lived 65 miles from the shopping center and was by all counts a good citizen. No real behavior problems in his life, except of course stabbing a beautiful young girl to death nearly 40 years ago.
The retired detective when he read the California case called the new guy to make sure he knew about it, and was told, "Already working on it."
In the USA, a man in his 60's convicted of a cold case will probably die in prison. Here in Mexico, they believe in rehabilitation so after 40 years of avoiding criminal conduct, a judge might decide he has been rehabilitated and set him free after a short time. Not guaranteed, but possible.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize DNA data bases really will continue to be used to both exonerate innocent men in jail as well ad catching the guilt. Isn't that using DNA for justice at its finest?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I often have views different from others. Some folks are worried that giving our DNA data to the ancestral DNA data companies can be used to violate our human rights. My view is it doesn't matter; if they went our DNA they will get it one way or another, as recent history shows. So, I am not going to object if they use my DNA to find any kinfolk who have raped and murdered.

In the meantime I am having fun finding hundreds of folks in my family tree, all over the world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread