General Washington shoe buckle

Aug 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told to post this here so it would get more looks.... received_364396790918148.jpeg
IMG_20190805_194703_918.jpg

Upvote 41

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they put buckles on everything. About the time of the War of 1812 the styles had changed, and the buckles started to lose popularity. Now we have velcro!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Astounding find! Definitely a banner worthy. I did find a ''General Washington'' cufflink with his portrait bun never herd of buckles. Those are way rarer than anything ''Inaugural GW'' and should predate them, probably being from Rev War or right after. Huge congratulations!

Last edited:

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yowzers! What an incredible find! I'd give my left tatertot to find one of those!

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington did have a button maker from what I understand. I think his name was William Rollins from Boston. He could had commissioned a buckle but he was way too modest to put his name on it. Also, I donโ€™t believe Washington ever made it to Kentucky during the war. Iโ€™m betting itโ€™s a tribute piece.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington did have a button maker from what I understand. I think his name was William Rollins from Boston. He could had commissioned a buckle but he was way too modest to put his name on it. Also, I donโ€™t believe Washington ever made it to Kentucky during the war. Iโ€™m betting itโ€™s a tribute piece.
Yeap, I hope no-one is suggesting it was his, that's too far fetched.
Made for the commercial market like the cuff-links for people who supported him or his ideology (like you say a tribute to the man & his achievements).

It's a very cool piece, & might be the only known survivor at the moment, but doesn't mean another won't turn up some day.

CONGRATS to the OP!.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dug Life Metal Detecting
Aug 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pictures show two broken buckles. Were they found in the same place? I highly encourage you to provide some details on the hunt to provide some credibility and provenance to the finds.

aj

Both pics are of the same buckle.....and I truly hope your not trying to discredit my find......

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OP
OP
Dug Life Metal Detecting
Aug 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, I hope no-one is suggesting it was his, that's too far fetched.
Made for the commercial market like the cuff-links for people who supported him or his ideology (like you say a tribute to the man & his achievements).

It's a very cool piece, & might be the only known survivor at the moment, but doesn't mean another won't turn up some day.

CONGRATS to the OP!.
Actually....when you start doing the research its not as far fetched as it seems... The area the buckle was found was inhabited bya number of early American politics... The Meriwether Lewis family... The Johnson Family (vice pres Richard Johnson) LaFayette was here.... The Taylors where here.... GWs personal powder flask was willed to a Lewis descendant that was less than 15 miles from the spot. The Washingtons where god parents to the Lewis children. All the families intermarried...
We know that Pattison was a tinsmith from Berlin Conn.
Which was frequented by Washington regularly. He was also commisioned to produce articles for Washingtons military... It may not have been a piece that belonged to GW himself...... then again.. it very well could have

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like I said on the other post, this, in my opinion, is the best single thing dug and posted on the forums I've seen this year. Even broken, it's an amazing piece. I would dig every single signal in that area. With it being broke, it's probably from plow damage and the other piece is still there. That is unless the site has been searched by previous relic hunters, but I would still dig all I possibly could.

Last edited:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is an epic find - congratulations!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually....when you start doing the research its not as far fetched as it seems... The area the buckle was found was inhabited bya number of early American politics... The Meriwether Lewis family... The Johnson Family (vice pres Richard Johnson) LaFayette was here.... The Taylors where here.... GWs personal powder flask was willed to a Lewis descendant that was less than 15 miles from the spot. The Washingtons where god parents to the Lewis children. All the families intermarried...
We know that Pattison was a tinsmith from Berlin Conn.
Which was frequented by Washington regularly. He was also commisioned to produce articles for Washingtons military... It may not have been a piece that belonged to GW himself...... then again.. it very well could have
Doesn't prove anything other than many more candidates. But, anyone can believe anything, that's fine.
Keep looking for the other pieces.

OP
OP
Dug Life Metal Detecting
Aug 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't prove anything other than many more candidates. But, anyone can believe anything, that's fine.
Keep looking for the other pieces.
I never said it did prove any thing...... I said it could be a possibility. I have an idea....prove it wasnt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread