George Washington Inagural Button Albert #W1-17A Wreath & Star RRR YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
George Washington Inagural Button Albert #W1-17A Wreath & Star RRR YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went Detecting with my Son South Jersey Jim and my other Son Ryan today at the Field of Legends. The targets are getting fewer and fewer but there is still alot there to be found. We were finding buttons and I did manage another copper ring and another ring that is very old and not sure if it is silver or not. I ended up with 25 buttons. I decided to hit another spot of the other field we have been detecting and started to find some buttons. Well what happened next just about blew me away. I got a signal and dug down and pulled out a button and all I saw was long live... well I knew what the rest of it was going to say and just started to holler and scream and act like a total idiot really:) I was screaming to my son that I found a George Washington Inagural Button but he was to far away so I called him. I wasn't going to post this tonight because I am tired but Jim called me and told me all about the button and how rare it is and I got a new jump start:) These fields are so laden with great things that we are going to be spoiled for any other field that we detect. We will be saying, "Remember those fields we hit last Winter." I am overwhelmed with the good finds and I hope there is more good stuff to come. God forbid what happens when they plow these fields. Jim was finding a couple of deep Large cents and Ryan found a cut silver 3 cent piece. Who in their right mind would cut a 3 cent piece is beyone me:) Wow Wow Wow is all I can say!!! It has been one heck of a ride. Arty if you are reading this Ryan found your prescription Ray Bans you lost:)

Attachments

• March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 002.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 002.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 906
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 003.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 003.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 1,000
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 004.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 004.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 838
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 006.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 006.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 806
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 007.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 007.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 839
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 008.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 008.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 830
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 009.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 009.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 814
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 011.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 011.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 749
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 010.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 010.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 783
Upvote 26

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on a Super Rare Find! This has to be Banner all the way! Can't wait to see it at the next meeting.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, first I have seen posted of this type here, although I am not to familiar with the GW button series, great discussion about the price and what it would fetch at auction. How come this has not been Bannered yet :icon_scratch: seems like standards have dropped here, when it comes to the Banner :BangHead: after all it's not every day something like this is found. I'll give it the vote..:notworthy:

SS

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with SS all the way, great discussion on the value of the button, but the price is really irrelevant. The real value is in it's historical significance and the joy it brings you when you look at it and remember how you felt when you brought that up and were the first person to see and hold it in over 200 years. I get that same feeling every time I unearth an old artifact or coin.
Great save on a piece of yankey history, I hope there are more for you still in that field. Banner vote going in.
ZDD

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button, but got to be real here folks. That's like saying all the lower grade dug chain cents are worth 80k because one sold at auction for that amount. In the real world with real money no one is coming anywhere close to 14k on that. Several years back when they were quite a bit rarer I believe someone posted a nice one they had sold for 5k. If that is the case, that same button probably would only get half that in today's market. If someone can provide info. that says otherwise I'd be interested to see it. There's no question some bigtime GW buttons are in the ground but I don't see that as being one of them. Not chopped liver by any means, but still nothing that is going to cause a huge stir and a big bidding war.
Not only do I agree......but this is the "REALITY" of this piece. Rarity helps, but it is still ground found, and quite frankly, considered damaged. Seems we always have a discussion like this on, what some think, the value of a coin or relic is. CASE IN POINT:------Look at the Vermont Ryder-7 copper in my avatar. Took this coin to the C-4 coin show in Boston a few years ago. These are "The Experts" in colonial coinage. Although ALL of them OOO'ed and AWWW'ed about it, the $ value was quite low as it was a ground found copper. Let me explain. Basically they all considered it MS, or MINT STATE! Stacks Auction House------" ....if this piece had been in a collection other than in the ground, it would stake a claim as one of the finest Vermont landscape coppers known". Hence, it could have fetch upwards of $30,000! (I have a few other stories too) I sold it in a private sale for $1,275. I wanted $2,000. What a coin or relic is actually "worth", is what someone will pay. Value, Worth, or Sale Price are 3 TOTALLY different entities, when it comes to coins and relics. Obviously, if the holder of a coin or relic, thinks it's worth a million bucks, well....maybe it is to them. But when reality finally sets in, and they decide to sell,.....they are in for a big letdown as regards to actual value. Then again, most on T-Net don't want to hear that! Fantasy lives larger than reality in most. I vote Banner as regards to it's rarity! Hogge

Last edited:

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree on pricing. Seems like a 1916D Merc is more of a canidate for banner than a piece of real history. Cmon bump this baby up top.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's some sweet New Jersey Nectar right there and my BANNER vote is in :notworthy:

Congrats on the rare GW Button! I see you have an octagonal cufflink there. Should have a design on it.

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find Goldie! I've never heard of any of those being dug down our way. WTG!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great button and a rare one to boot! I unearthed a great Dandy button yesterday that I thought might have been a GW, but no such luck--still a nice button tho, large with full shank. Be nice to do a hunt with you guys some time. Best, Erik

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your rare GW button Goldie, I don't know why it hasn't made it to the top yet but maybe my banner vote will get it there, I hope so anyways :)

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Value, Worth, or Sale Price are 3 TOTALLY different entities, when it comes to coins and relics.

So very true, and well said, hogge.

But pricing has nothing to do with my appreciation of the OP's great digz.

washington-crossing.jpg

George-Washington-would-slap-us.gif

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing GW button!! Great finds, sounds like the field of dreams!! HH, Finman (Joe)

OP
OP
G

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
I am just happy to have found this Button!The rest would be icing on the cake:) Thanks for your reply

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread