George Washington Inagural Button Albert #W1-17A Wreath & Star RRR YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
George Washington Inagural Button Albert #W1-17A Wreath & Star RRR YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went Detecting with my Son South Jersey Jim and my other Son Ryan today at the Field of Legends. The targets are getting fewer and fewer but there is still alot there to be found. We were finding buttons and I did manage another copper ring and another ring that is very old and not sure if it is silver or not. I ended up with 25 buttons. I decided to hit another spot of the other field we have been detecting and started to find some buttons. Well what happened next just about blew me away. I got a signal and dug down and pulled out a button and all I saw was long live... well I knew what the rest of it was going to say and just started to holler and scream and act like a total idiot really:) I was screaming to my son that I found a George Washington Inagural Button but he was to far away so I called him. I wasn't going to post this tonight because I am tired but Jim called me and told me all about the button and how rare it is and I got a new jump start:) These fields are so laden with great things that we are going to be spoiled for any other field that we detect. We will be saying, "Remember those fields we hit last Winter." I am overwhelmed with the good finds and I hope there is more good stuff to come. God forbid what happens when they plow these fields. Jim was finding a couple of deep Large cents and Ryan found a cut silver 3 cent piece. Who in their right mind would cut a 3 cent piece is beyone me:) Wow Wow Wow is all I can say!!! It has been one heck of a ride. Arty if you are reading this Ryan found your prescription Ray Bans you lost:)

Attachments

• March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 002.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 002.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 905
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 003.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 003.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 999
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 004.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 004.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 837
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 006.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 006.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 805
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 007.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 007.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 838
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 008.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 008.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 829
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 009.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 009.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 813
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 011.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 011.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 748
  • March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 010.jpg
    March 15th 2013 Field Finds George Wash inagural Button 010.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 782
Upvote 26
OP
OP
G

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
I was wondering if that was a cuff link or not. Thanks for telling me. You can't see what is on the front Steve:(

MikeO

Feb 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, congratulations! Keep digging, I really enjoy your finds. BTW, what make and model of detector did you use to make the finds? I really wish people would include the little details when they dig such incredible finds, such as detector model, average dig depth, terrain type, pottery types, glass types, other objects found etc...Most of us will never make a find like this and would like to read about the experience.

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt..BTW what is the triangular piece w/3 rivets pictured with the rings?...I found one last week in a 1800 to 1950's site.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Nominated for banner. Wonder what's taking so long! The pics seem OK.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Very sweet find you and the boy put some serious effort into treasure hunting:icon_thumright:

Especially the boy:laughing7:

I most certainly will nominate this for BANNER..

One of the most important times in American history..

Oh by the way welcome to the GW club pops.....

Blaze

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this photo is more pleasing to the eye.

Talk about a great feeling looking down and seeing that. It must have taken every bit of strength you had to pause and take the pic. (if that was the moment it was dug)

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had to reposition slightly for a nicer pic. Sadly only ultra photogenic finds can be considered for banner. Seems like rarity comes second to how good it looks. Too bad it wasnt a sweet 1916D merc or 1877 indian....

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
I use a technetics T2 detector that my family bought for me for Christmas! It wasn't that deep maybe 4 or 5 inches. It was in a filed on a hill. I plan on writing an article for a well known detecting magazine later on. Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to reposition slightly for a nicer pic. Sadly only ultra photogenic finds can be considered for banner. Seems like rarity comes second to how good it looks. Too bad it wasnt a sweet 1916D merc or 1877 indian....

Or an accumulation of finds over several days and a thousand smileys in the post. :)

My personal opinion is GW buttons, especially the more common ones, are a bit overrated, and I'll always say a very good Rev War button is as good or better because there's more of a history you can track. That being said, I still think ANY GW button find is an automatic banner, as well as any Rev War button that either has good condition, or rarity, or of course both. It is rather sad being pretty seems to trump history in some cases.

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Or an accumulation of finds over several days and a thousand smileys in the post. :)

My personal opinion is GW buttons, especially the more common ones, are a bit overrated, and I'll always say a very good Rev War button is as good or better because there's more of a history you can track. That being said, I still think ANY GW button find is an automatic banner, as well as any Rev War button that either has good condition, or rarity, or of course both. It is rather sad being pretty seems to trump history in some cases.

For once IP, you & I agree! Well said

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Damn......Then I should have made the banner 3 more times!? I want you as a moderator on this site! :headbang: I wonder,(quite often I might add), as to what the "powers that be", are thinking about when they post some of the sketchy banner finds. Whereas, some are passed over, for god knows why, and are more rare and valuable than the more common finds that are awarded banner. VERY, VERY, STRANGE!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hogge said:
Damn......Then I should have made the banner 3 more times!? I want you as a moderator on this site! :headbang: I wonder,(quite often I might add), as to what the "powers that be", are thinking about when they post some of the sketchy banner finds. Whereas, some are passed over, for god knows why, and are more rare and valuable than the more common finds that are awarded banner. VERY, VERY, STRANGE!

Thats the problem "the powers that be" ... and yes your right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread