Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday afternoon hunt on a muddy field. We had no success with the expected roman finds for about 2hrs. I started strolling further from the high ground we started. The field has a gently slope to a sunken road or hollow way where it goes to the small village. I got an iffy signal and the detector didn't stop for the next swings.... I thought it was a detector problem but it stopped a couple foot away. I turned and hit that patch again with the same crazy signals. Wow, thats a huge signal! Not as solid as i know it from massive iron like big artillery shells. Somewhat weird...
I couldn't resist and had to look whats there. 2 1/2 feet deeper i hit rusty iron.
42443640tt.jpg

It was big and i knew i needed help so i called a buddy who fortunately was close by, hunting 'lost places' with another guy... They came over with their shovels. It took some time to free this big thing we still didn't know what it was, other than the feeling it must be WWII.
42443641fe.jpg

With the circular shape we started thinking Tank...
42443642fv.jpg

42443643tw.jpg

We had it laying on top and it WAS heavy.... i saw the shape and the welding around the round part and knew it was really a tank part. The hatch...
42443644dw.jpg

Now laying there in the middle of a muddy field, heavy as hell, more help was needed. The farm is just on the other side of the field and i called the farmer to fire up his tractor. He and his vintage tractor were there for the pic of the day...
42443645la.jpg

He pulled this thing to his farm, got the forklift and i got the truck. Nice to have a 2500HD...
42443646dd.jpg

My buddy works on a farm too and he has the forklift we got it out of the truck with.
42443647lu.jpg

Research was easy with this after the farmer told us his father spoke about a German tank shot there at the corner of the farm...
German Sturmgeschutz IV....
Pic of an original one
42443648rc.jpg

And one of a model you can see it better.
42443649av.jpg

Exact there, in this field, 4 guys, not half as old as i am, died fighting for political interests... And i found a part of their tank on our memorial day... Made me sit down with teary eyes.

Upvote 29

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday afternoon hunt on a muddy field. We had no success with the expected roman finds for about 2hrs. I started strolling further from the high ground we started. The field has a gently slope to a sunken road or hollow way where it goes to the small village. I got an iffy signal and the detector didn't stop for the next swings.... I thought it was a detector problem but it stopped a couple foot away. I turned and hit that patch again with the same crazy signals. Wow, thats a huge signal! Not as solid as i know it from massive iron like big artillery shells. Somewhat weird...
I couldn't resist and had to look whats there. 2 1/2 feet deeper i hit rusty iron.
42443640tt.jpg

It was big and i knew i needed help so i called a buddy who fortunately was close by, hunting 'lost places' with another guy... They came over with their shovels. It took some time to free this big thing we still didn't know what it was, other than the feeling it must be WWII.
42443641fe.jpg

With the circular shape we started thinking Tank...
42443642fv.jpg

42443643tw.jpg

We had it laying on top and it WAS heavy.... i saw the shape and the welding around the round part and knew it was really a tank part. The hatch...
42443644dw.jpg

Now laying there in the middle of a muddy field, heavy as hell, more help was needed. The farm is just on the other side of the field and i called the farmer to fire up his tractor. He and his vintage tractor were there for the pic of the day...
42443645la.jpg

He pulled this thing to his farm, got the forklift and i got the truck. Nice to have a 2500HD...
42443646dd.jpg

My buddy works on a farm too and he has the forklift we got it out of the truck with.
42443647lu.jpg

Research was easy with this after the farmer told us his father spoke about a German tank shot there at the corner of the farm...
German Sturmgeschutz IV....
Pic of an original one
42443648rc.jpg

And one of a model you can see it better.
42443649av.jpg

Exact there, in this field, 4 guys, not half as old as i am, died fighting for political interests... And i found a part of their tank on our memorial day... Made me sit down with teary eyes.
Cool!!! Congrats!!!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very cool find !

You might want to research this topic on the internet if needed ...
You can soak rusty steel artifacts in a Fresh Water & Lye Bath to help prevent any future deterioration of the steel.

Good Luck !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. There is no museum local with WWII history on display. I could give it to another museum, but i like the idea to have it here.
Maybe a garden feature with poppies growing out of it?!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great piece of history! Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts with us!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread