Get em while you can

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two part post.

I needed to contact Thompsons. Pull up website. Bill has health issues.

HE'S GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!!!

The reason I needed to contact him. I traded gold for a new 12v/hand crank puffer. It was N.I.B.

First run Beginning of summer about 45 minutes in it stops. Motor hot to the touch. does it again after I let it cool. Hmmm good battery.

Talked to dealer. He talked to Bill he said it shouldn't do that. Since I would be by in a few weeks he will swap out motor.

Fast forward to last week want to dry wash my raked material from a good patch I've raked down.

Forty five minutes in motor stops. Hot to the touch. Fully charged battery at start of run. Runs after cool off period.Not as long though cause it obviously isn't as cool as initial start up.

Next day I bring generator and my charger with battery in line on maintain. Thinking it might be voltage. Couldn't find voltometer (sorry Mojo it's somewhere:laughing7:) But again charger showed charged battery. Same set up I use for recirc and blue bowl.

This time the variable speed knob isn't variable speed knob either. It's a sometimes the motor is on knob. I tend to blame my self with this sort of issue. But, this time I think it's my luck to get two bad motors. Cause I didn't fry it to start with and barely used either one. No, I didn't hook it up backwards at any point. To me it's almost like a short in the motor? It's not like I'm creating more resistance on it, than it is supposed to handle. It's not binding in the linkage.

I am open to any thoughts..

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked to make sure nothing is binding?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
have you tried to let to motor run for a long time not hooked up to anything?al
so run on the machine without the speed controller.i went threw allot of controllers before i found one that worked.also make sure the motor is a 12 volt.
good luck brad

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried to let to motor run for a long time not hooked up to anything?al
so run on the machine without the speed controller.i went threw allot of controllers before i found one that worked.also make sure the motor is a 12 volt.
good luck brad

Bill got back to me He also thinks it's the variable speed control. I can bypass it but it will run fast. I'll open it up later and look at it. it is 12v he buys them for the drywashers.

I'm going detecting for a few hours.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems it would be less hassles without the motor.
Why didnt you just use the hand crank ???

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems it would be less hassles without the motor.
Why didnt you just use the hand crank ???

Because I can run through material quicker. I will use the crank when I hike in further. But, with spots I can practically drive to and walk a short distance for great gold.
I want to run a lot of material.

I used it to clear the riffle tray when the motor stopped and went back to detecting and raking.

I did buy a crank/ electric so I could use both. But only when it's actually worth it to stop and crank it.

Since I did in fact buy the motor the point stands that I would like to know why it's not working.

Thanks for all the help though:thumbsup:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have several of Bill"s drywashers and all have the; "slow-stop-fast" toggle switch motor. Can run that thing for hours and no mater how hot it gets it never stops running. I had a hunch that when he went to the "variable speed" control dial motor, there could be issues. Sorry to hear of Bill's failing health as he surely was an innovator.

It's only a windshield wiper motor, look up the model and order it up yourself if need be (I'm sure your already aware of this). The hand crank option does work surprisingly well as I've used it many times.

You could retro- fit one motor for the other but I believe it might take some minimal fabrication.

Sorry your having issues with his machine.

BTW; I use mine mostly on the "slow" setting as it catches fine gold like its nobody's business!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several of Bill"s drywashers and all have the; "slow-stop-fast" toggle switch motor. Can run that thing for hours and no mater how hot it gets it never stops running. I had a hunch that when he went to the "variable speed" control dial motor, there could be issues. Sorry to hear of Bill's failing health as he surely was an innovator.

It's only a windshield wiper motor, look up the model and order it up yourself if need be (I'm sure your already aware of this). The hand crank option does work surprisingly well as I've used it many times.

You could retro- fit one motor for the other but I believe it might take some minimal fabrication.

Sorry your having issues with his machine.

BTW; I use mine mostly on the "slow" setting as it catches fine gold like its nobody's business!

interesting i like the toggle switch idea.

Bill said to order a new control online. he would reimburse me up to 10 bucks. I d told him not to even worry.

I just wanted his "permission " to take to cover off of the control lol. I think the motor is just fine.

He said bypass the control and it would just run really fast but would be ok. I too want the ability to run it slow.

I have several decent sized piles that have gold in them. But. stopping to crank makes it not really worth it.

i already plan on bringing my cement mixer down to break up the clumps. As the gold is coming from the layer that is making the clumps.

Ive about detected every detectable piece. But there's still stuff the drywasher is catching.

Plus I want to run my tailings again.

weather is showing I have until next Tuesday before rain will end that for the year.

Thanks for the usable reply. can you pm me pics of one of the switche boxes he used to use when you gt a chance ?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pics...

Attachments

• IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1074.JPG
    IMG_1074.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    983.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much like mine But, it has the knob

Opened up the cover and it looks like the inside of the Millinium Falcon.Circuit board, resistors, heat sinks.Little R2D2's.

Hooked her up to trouble shoot. Seems like the potentiometer. It kinda took it's final crap while I was turning it.

Bypassed the switch circuit and it's whirring away.

Heading out in a few minutes. We'll see how it goes.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It lasted slightly longer. before it heated up and stopped.:BangHead:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear about Bill. The Thompson is a good drywasher.

Try starting with a decent motor. I doubt you will have any problems once you upgrade. The motor on there looks like a generic VW wiper motor.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about Bill. The Thompson is a good drywasher.

Try starting with a decent motor. I doubt you will have any problems once you upgrade. The motor on there looks like a generic VW wiper motor.

Heavy Pans

Yea I figured I was gonna have to do that and a simpler control.

My brother is a mechanic in SoCal... I won't be paying $100 bucks thats for sure.

mtchuck

Greenie
Aug 22, 2015
NW Montana
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 , Gold Monster 1000, Tesero Vaquero , Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear that he had to stop making them , his design seems to be very respected , too bad that I am to late to but a new one .

mtchuck

Greenie
Aug 22, 2015
NW Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone know of a used one for sale , 12V or hand crank ?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone know of a used one for sale , 12V or hand crank ?

Knowing what area you live in may help your quest as shipping would be pricey and pick up would be ideal.

Also, would you be willing to trade a given quantity of toilet paper for a one?
Sorry just kidding..........couldn't help myself.

Last edited:

mtchuck

Greenie
Aug 22, 2015
NW Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in NW Montana , I wouldn’t be opposed to paying shipping , or I have f@mily in Tucson Az . I would like to have one , and I am also interested in making some like them . I spoke with Bill Thomson’s wife Mary the other day ,and no one is taking over for him . I would like to get one , and maybe make some improvements and start producing some , I think that a low to mid priced lightweight Drywashers are now missing from the marketplace. I am interested in finding out what others think?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have both the Thompson and the Keene (dw212v) and like both. The Thompson is tough and the only improvements I could see for it would be;

-replace the steel leg supports with aluminum which would make a relatively portable machine "really lite" and.....

-get rid of the adjustable speed motor and go back to the; fast-off-slow speed toggle switch. I believe this motor was much more reliable.

The Keene dw212v is a really good drywasher as well but a beast of a puffer, not "pack frame" portable like Bill's machine.

mtchuck

Greenie
Aug 22, 2015
NW Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have both the Thompson and the Keene (dw212v) and like both. The Thompson is tough and the only improvements I could see for it would be;

-replace the steel leg supports with aluminum which would make a relatively portable machine "really lite" and.....

-get rid of the adjustable speed motor and go back to the; fast-off-slow speed toggle switch. I believe this motor was much more reliable.

The Keene dw212v is a really good drywasher as well but a beast of a puffer, not "pack frame" portable like Bill's machine.

I agree aluminum legs , should they be adjustable? Should the angle of the riffle box and grizzly/ hopper box be adjustable?
What was the old wiper motor off of ?
I just need to get my hands on one , or at least see some good photos and get some dimensions .
I have seen a couple videos of them , and a few poor photos .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions