Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
March is a fickle beast weatherwise in the Washington, DC area so between frigid mornings which quickly morph into hot afternoons (lots of clothes shuffling) and caretaker responsibilities haven't been able to get out much lately but I am able to integrate certain errands with some relic prospecting here and there. That being said ran an errand in Centreville, VA yesterday and this trip brought me past a place that caught my eye years ago working as a contractor in the area so decided today was the day to swing on it!
The site is an old rock wall with a lane egress that just terminates into some thick woods behind a shopping center, one of these colonial era sites hiding in plain view. Never hunted a site so loaded with aluminum (besides Digstock V fields maybe..lol) so was tough swinging but the Legend came through man I am liking multifrequency just started using it. Take care everyone good luck hunting and Happy Springtime :)!!!

Attachments

• relics.JPG
    relics.JPG
    854.6 KB · Views: 124
  • egress.JPG
    egress.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 83
  • first minie of day.JPG
    first minie of day.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • roundness.JPG
    roundness.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 67
  • 1890 milk money.JPG
    1890 milk money.JPG
    824.9 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 24

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
wow - great finds.

A good lesson here also about the site being located not in a rural area but in a developed area. You have located an amazing site that has given up some amazing finds and could continue to do so for a while.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow - great finds.

A good lesson here also about the site being located not in a rural area but in a developed area. You have located an amazing site that has given up some amazing finds and could continue to do so for a while.

Thanks for sharing.
thank you dognose I have to stay close to home as of late and finding sites like these scratches the itch for sure, I have hunted this site before just not this part of it (lived in this area years ago and recently returned) due to older machines not handling the trash well. Old glass here too will have to return with a probe, would love a local blob or hutch.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
March is a fickle beast weatherwise in the Washington, DC area so between frigid mornings which quickly morph into hot afternoons (lots of clothes shuffling) and caretaker responsibilities haven't been able to get out much lately but I am able to integrate certain errands with some relic prospecting here and there. That being said ran an errand in Centreville, VA yesterday and this trip brought me past a place that caught my eye years ago working as a contractor in the area so decided today was the day to swing on it!
The site is an old rock wall with a lane egress that just terminates into some thick woods behind a shopping center, one of these colonial era sites hiding in plain view. Never hunted a site so loaded with aluminum (besides Digstock V fields maybe..lol) so was tough swinging but the Legend came through man I am liking multifrequency just started using it. Take care everyone good luck hunting and Happy Springtime :)!!!
Great finds. Congrats

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you creskol thinking these woods burned at one time the lead here usually comes out white, was a fun day thanks for lookin'
Nice batch of civil war bullets. A lot of the bullets I find in the woods come out of the ground brown as well. It has something to do with the soil composition. I was told years ago to soak them in ammonia and it will take the brown off and show the white lead oxide underneath. Put them in the ammonia and watch for a few minutes and then just rinse them in water and let them dry.

Good hunt, thanks for posting, stay safe, good luck nd keep swingin.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good finds due to your smart thinking. The new tech is almost like your old hunted out areas are virgin areas again.
thank you for the very kind comment, I agree with you I am currently revisiting a bunch of woods cellar hole sites I have hunted with several machines in past (White's, Garrett, Nokta....) and am pleasantly surprised with results. The bummer is half of said sites are now gas stations or starbucks but such is life. Happy hunting friend.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice batch of civil war bullets. A lot of the bullets I find in the woods come out of the ground brown as well. It has something to do with the soil composition. I was told years ago to soak them in ammonia and it will take the brown off and show the white lead oxide underneath. Put them in the ammonia and watch for a few minutes and then just rinse them in water and let them dry.

thank you very much good to know, I will try it out later this week and post a pic. Happy hunting neighbor!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!!

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going! There's a certain additional thrill to finding stuff in "plain sight" but missed by others, congrats!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

the .69 cal smashed bullet was the worst looking patina-wise in my opinion so did the ammonia soak trick works great thanks again :)

Attachments

• ammonia cleaned .69 cal.JPG
    ammonia cleaned .69 cal.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread