Getting back into detecting - which machine?

LeslieTx

Nov 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I metal detected in the 1990s and early 2000s. I had several detectors, my favorites were Fisher CZ6a and a Minelab Excalibur. I'm looking for a best all around detector, relic, beach, park, etc. Right now I'm leaning toward the Minelab Equinox 800. I would appreciate getting advice from those using the newer machines.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Equinox! Welcome to the forum!:occasion14:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Equinox 600, $550 shipped to my door plus i spent about $35 on wireless low latency headphones that wirelessly connect, nothing else needed, just turn them both on.

Just keep in mind, it is not waterproof, despite their false advertising that it is. It's water resistant, nothing more, keep that in mind and you'll be good to go.

Though i don't own one, testimonials abound on the excellence of Deus too.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the fray. Do yourself a favor and spend an hour or two this weekend on YouTube. You can see most of the popular detectors in action and get some insight/training on the features and capabilities. You might even recognize some people from this forum lol. Enjoy it, don't rush into anything without doing the proper homework, and you'll be happy instead of second guessing your decision, which is my specialty apparently.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet! If detecting on saltwater beaches, saltwater etc. I recommend the Minelab Equinox 600 or 800. Deep iron then The XP Deus. Best of luck out there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote here for the Equinox. I'd get the 800 if it's in your budget. It's just is more adjustable for changing conditions and has a nice gold mode for nuggets and tiny gold jewelry. Comes with wireless headphones too.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking at the Nokta Makro Simplex plus. It seems to cover all the bases and the price is right.

Springcitydoc1

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Granview, TN.
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 NOKTA MAKRO SIMPLEX+
2 MINELAB X-TERRA 705s, GARRETT GTP-1350
and a defunk White XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab 800 is a very good machine from all the reviews Ive read. I have 2 Minelab 705s , the Teknetics T2 and just recently bought a Nokia Makro Simplex+ , And they probably didn't cost me much over what you will pay for one equinox 800. Each machine has its own use. But a Multi Frequency Detector is probably the detector most people will go too eventually. Goo Luck Hunting for your machine

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the 800, you won’t be disappointed

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Back,
If you go with the Simplex, go with the Headphones package. Then get the SP24 coil and run v2.77 software in Park1 mode, ... incredible, seriously incredible, hear me now, believe me later:)

Last edited:

Eagleman

Jun 8, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD-2, White's TDI-SL, My design of, PI detector, also BFO type detector, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, I have a Garrett Apex an it is a very good value for the price. The other detectors are also very good. Enjoy the hobby again.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Welcome back. I would look for a multi frequency machine if you want one machine that will do it all, and one with a fast recovery. the equinox fits the bill. I have the 600, and its a good machine. I have only used it for coin shooting in sports fields, school yards, and homesites, but from reviews and the fast recovery I know it has, it would be a good relic machine too. But I agree with other posters, watch some videos and look at some other ones before deciding. What's good for one person may not suit another.

Also, if you haven't gotten one, get a pinpointer. The Garrett Pro Pointer AT, the orange one nicknamed the carrot, is the one I would recommend. I wouldn't go hunting if I didn't have it.

Good luck in your decision, and once again, welcome back.

Nov 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the Equinox 800 fits your budget, you can't beat this machine.
Although there are one or two here that are referencing the Simplex +, these do not compare with the Equinox, which is why they are priced accordingly.
Equinox allows to hunt in true Multi Frequency, whereas the Simplex cannot.
The Garrett Apex can hunt in true Multi Frequency, but is not waterproof, and seems a bit chatty at the beach.
Also, depending on how it is set up, it will sometimes cause separation issues when close to iron.
Just my two cents worth.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello:

lorennerol

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2020
Seattle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same boat- had a Compass RM7A when I was in junior high- loved it, 'understood' it. Bought a White's M6 maybe ten years ago and never had the same feel with it. The M6 failed and I'd like to replace (Santa is coming). Casual user, Seattle area, parks, play fields, old cabin sites in the mountains, etc. Narrowed the choice down to Minelab Equinox 800 or the Garrett AT Max. Thoughts?

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a Simplex to me. Punches way above its class for the $ , a strong vote for it ... no bs

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same boat- had a Compass RM7A when I was in junior high- loved it, 'understood' it. Bought a White's M6 maybe ten years ago and never had the same feel with it. The M6 failed and I'd like to replace (Santa is coming). Casual user, Seattle area, parks, play fields, old cabin sites in the mountains, etc. Narrowed the choice down to Minelab Equinox 800 or the Garrett AT Max. Thoughts?

IMO, there is nothing the Garrett AT series, Simplex, Anfibio, etc can do, that the Equinox can't do better. Now, if you want to factor in price to the equation, the others do a credible job too. In most situations, in mild ground, without major EMI, not very deep targets, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. It's when things aren't ideal that the better machine (Equinox) will shine. If you can afford the better machine, buy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread