Getting permission

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
I have only been metal detecting for 2-3 weeks.ive been hitting the beaches as the sand didn't seem to freeze as fast as everything else.as I'm driving around,I see places I'd like to get into. How do you go about finding who owns the property,and getting their contact information?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Door knocking is personal. You see who is asking.
How would you react/respond to a phone call requesting permission to hunt your yard?
Vs. in person?

Someone pays taxes on a given property. IF you go that route in person , be polite!
The township has information as to who. Your relationship with the person/people that can help you will be based on the first encounter.

Current plat maps can contain owner names
Just googling an address can lead to information too.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around here, better than half the farms are absentee landowners. Difficult to find them. I just ask the farmer who is farming the ground. Usually not the owner, but can still give you permission. I've lived here a long time and have only been turned down once in 28 yrs. by a farmer that hunts arrowheads. I pretty much have the run of the township.

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
Door knocking is personal. You see who is asking.
How would you react/respond to a phone call requesting permission to hunt your yard?
Vs. in person?

Someone pays taxes on a given property. IF you go that route in person , be polite!
The township has information as to who. Your relationship with the person/people that can help you will be based on the first encounter.

Current plat maps can contain owner names
Just googling an address can lead to information too.
I understand if there is people on the property swinging in to have a chat. I was thinking more on undeveloped areas. There is this spot, use to be all trees, a lot of people use to squat in. A couple years ago, they went in and removed all the trees. There's no house. I guess I could use on x hunt to get a name and go from there.i appreciate the recommendations.

Has anyone had any experience with Realtors or banks asking them for info or permission on foreclosed homes?

thormchammer

Dec 14, 2021
Timbered regions of the PNW.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand if there is people on the property swinging in to have a chat. I was thinking more on undeveloped areas. There is this spot, use to be all trees, a lot of people use to squat in. A couple years ago, they went in and removed all the trees. There's no house. I guess I could use on x hunt to get a name and go from there.i appreciate the recommendations.

Has anyone had any experience with Realtors or banks asking them for info or permission on foreclosed homes?
Cal Topo also offers a subscription for tax lot info (property owners) but many times you can stain that from your county, some places (like my county) offer it for feee.

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250...looking into a Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each state has maps per county. Door knocking works good if you show up looking good and have a sample of what you might find. Offer them something, before you dig. It's all place by place...look a farmer if they are farmers, look like scientist if they look woke. Just be honest.

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250...looking into a Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each state has maps per county. Door knocking works good if you show up looking good and have a sample of what you might find. Offer them something, before you dig. It's all place by place...look a farmer if they are farmers, look like scientist if they look woke. Just be honest.
Bring a child along holding a few cool coins or tumbled rocks. Kids on site can grease any old farts heart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread