getting ready to detect a new farmstead

detectorbishop

Sep 29, 2021
fife lake, mi
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all, I just received permission to detect a 40 acre farm that has, according to the owner, not been detected in at least 30 years. whoo hoo! I'm super excited. I'm pretty new to detecting and was hoping for some advice. I will be using a garrett at pro. I will start with the main yard and such, but are there any hot spots that I should be aware of? I have as long as I want to search.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck! Can't wait to see your finds!!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here''s some spots I always try first;

#1 - underneath the clothes line since coins were left in pants and most people hung them to dry upside down.

#2 - the path from the house to the outhouse. Not sure why but maybe they had to get there quick and were dropping their pants on the way there!

#3 - the front yard especially if there's large shade trees. If they had a family picnic, that's where they would set up the tables.

Be prepared to locate a lot of iron so go slow. Let us know how you do and Good Luck!

OP
OP
detectorbishop

detectorbishop

Sep 29, 2021
fife lake, mi
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here''s some spots I always try first;

#1 - underneath the clothes line since coins were left in pants and most people hung them to dry upside down.

#2 - the path from the house to the outhouse. Not sure why but maybe they had to get there quick and were dropping their pants on the way there!

3 - the front yard especially if there's large shade trees. If they had a family picnic, that's where they would set up the tables.

Be prepared to locate a lot of iron so go slow. Let us know how you do and Good Luck!

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could ask the owners if they have any old pictures of the house and yard...if so, there might be some clues there.

Sometime an old tire made for a swing, or a wooden swing - that tree would be a good place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread