Getting Started - Where do I begin??

N

Newbie1967

Hello,

I just happened on this site - my 6 year old son has been asking me for weeks to take him "panning for gold", and I've promised him I'll do some research and figure out what we need to do, and where we need to go. Honestly, this is all a bit overwhelming - I am hoping to skip a lot of the heaving lifting here - hopefully someone can give me an idea of where to begin! We live in Harford County in Maryland, and from what I've read so far, there seem to be some fairly decent places around the area to start. If anyone can give me a shove in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

Signed,

Panning Rookie Dad

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what I'v been able to find out, most of the Gold in Maryland is in the Counties of Montgomery, Frederick,Carroll, Howard , Baltimore & harford. with the majority in the Great Falls area of Montgomery.? ? ? ? ? Maryland Has Strict Property rights Laws. Permission of Property Owners Must Be Obtained.? ? ? ? ? ? ? It is Prohibited on State Governed Lands without Permission From Forest &Park Service. the same with Federal Park property where The Superintendent of Parks must be asked first.? ? You can also contact the MD. Dept. of Natural Resources 580 Taylor Ave. Anapolis MD. 21401 for more info? and the MD Geological Survey 2300 St Paul st. Baltimore MD 21218 .? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? What I would Suggest is If you Havn't Gotten yourselves some Pans, Do so & Get Permission & Enjoy your time together.? From what I'v found out KARL YOUNG is the GPAA STATE DIRECTOR FOR MARYLAND. Send Me an E-mail for his # & E-mail. I don't know IF I should Publish it here. ? ? ? ? ? ? I take it You Watch The Gold shows on The OUTDOOR channel, You can get alot of Info on Tecnique there.? ?GOOD LUCK , HAVE FUN, ; jeff

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
All you need to get started is a gold pan and some sort of a shovel. The Gold Catcher pan is nice and not very expensive. I have a 6 year old who found his first piece of gold in northern Ohio, of course it's about the size of a grain of sand, but that's about all you can expect up this way. The main thing to remember while panning, especially when looking for the fine stuff, gold will be heavier than the black sand. Don't get caught up looking at the shiney stuff that floats away from the black sand, if it's gold, it will stay there while the black sand washes away.

Dudes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread