Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
From Paher's book:
Como was platted in 1862 and boomed for two more years. "Como experienced important revivals in 1879-81 and 1902-05. In the 1930s a large mill was built. It ran but a few days until it was discovered that there was no ore, a fact that promotors had overlooked. Cellars and foundations are left at Como."
Paher's book includes two pics of Como in 1902 (sufficiently wide angled enough to get your bearings), a third pic of the five-stamp mill that stood on the road to Como in the early 1960s; and a pic of a 'whim' in operation.
Don...

OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOSSNV said:
rockyredbaron said:
ANYONE HAVE ANY RESEARCH DATA OR SOURCES FOR INFO N COMO NEVADA ??? IT WAS AN OLD MINING TOWN LATTER PART OF THE 1800s

11 miles SE of Dayton . Lyon County , NV . I don,t have time right now to give you a detailed history on Como , but if you can give me a couple days I will try to get some info up for you . A starting good source book is Nevada Ghost Towns & Mining Camps by Stanley W . Paher . Page 72 . Hoss

thank you for ur help and I will wait patiently for ur further input ..thanx again for the info on Como NV

OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your inputs. I was hoping for some info as to possibility of finding gold in the area of Como. Want to get my new MXT wet !!!! We are still going to the site so wish us luck !!!! Even a few older coins would be worth the trip. Will just "dig it all" ...... Will post after I return.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Rocky

There is a pretty extensive account of Como in Paher,s book . I checked on Amazon and a used copy can be had for under $40.00 . Which I think is a good deal . It might behove you to purchase a copy . At any rate . Good luck on your expedition to Como ! Hoss

OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last request....

Does anyone know where I can access a map or photo of the original town showing the layout of where the structures were....so when I get there I can perhaps get some sort of direction so I can concentrate on where the buildings once stood. I know it's perhaps a shot in the dark, especially seeing the few photos of what remains today. That would be quite helpful. As for the book, I was going to purchase the Paher book but not enough time to get it as I am leaving this weekend.

Thanks to all

Rockyredbaron

HOPPY

Greenie
Sep 22, 2013
NEVADA
Detector(s) used
whites , bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANYONE HAVE ANY RESEARCH DATA OR SOURCES FOR INFO N COMO NEVADA ??? IT WAS AN OLD MINING TOWN LATTER PART OF THE 1800s

went there last summer with my quad club .....will go back again when get more time to explore it.....there were about 700 hundred people at the peek....most of the people there ended up in Virginia city .........I will go back in the summer check it out better...................hoppy

fireman93514

Greenie
Apr 28, 2014
Fallon NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Como is mentioned briefly in Nevada ghost towns and desert atlas, vol. 1 by Stan Parker.

Svverwter

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there last year and found NADA so except for the scenery not worth the trip 4wd only as well.
Popular place for 4 wheelers and partiers nothing but pull tabs and bottle caps and shell casings, alum as well as rusted tin cans.

Found out later that the place had been detected many many times over the years with no reports of worthwhile finds.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions