jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monument Peak, which some old timers call Lizard Mountain , Looms over what's of the Ghost town of Lake Valley in Southern N.m

000aaa.jpg

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Spent some time there not too long ago.

Interesting place, but haunted. Can you spot the ghost?

AF1fHygl.jpg

S0XL9o2l.jpg

oUYOedWl.jpg

n5Ih323l.jpg

0fdYBCAl.jpg

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There used to be lots of old buildings remaining at the site. Some of the rock structures had gun ports in the walls as the town was active during the Apache wars. The famous Bridal Chamber massive pure silver chloride discovery is right adjacent to the highway and used to be open, but a little dangerous. Haven't been there in years - it may have been collapsed by now.
p-00300.jpg

I did a Peralta Horse Stone overlay on a New Mexico map several years ago, and interestingly, the Bridal Chamber (Lake Valley) registered quite well against other significent NM sites.
Horse map south.jpg

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
There used to be lots of old buildings remaining at the site. Some of the rock structures had gun ports in the walls as the town was active during the Apache wars. The famous Bridal Chamber massive pure silver chloride discovery is right adjacent to the highway and used to be open, but a little dangerous. Haven't been there in years - it may have been collapsed by now.
View attachment 1917147

I did a Peralta Horse Stone overlay on a New Mexico map several years ago, and interestingly, the Bridal Chamber (Lake Valley) registered quite well against other significent NM sites.
View attachment 1917151

Yessir, have to admit the Bridal Chamber was the impetus behind my visit there. Amazing amount of pure silver pulled out of that hole. Boggles the mind.

The 'Chamber' measured more than 100 feet by 100 feet and varied from 10 to 20 feet from floor to ceiling. Almost the entire room was lined and filled with interlaced crystals of Chlorargyrite (Cerargyrite), Silver Chloride (AgCl), Calcite and Native Silver, much of which was mined with axes and hatchets. Saws were used to cut the silver into blocks. One horn silver crystal mass weighed over 10,000 pounds.

No where on earth has a comparable deposit of silver ever been discovered.

" Records indicate 2.5 million ounces of silver was recovered from the Bridal Chamber alone. A nearby "lesser" discovery, the Thirty Stope, produced a million ounces. It's doubtful these records allow for the actual amount removed. Most early official reports of precious metal extraction were on the low side. "

Your mention of the Horse Map don't surprise me none. I'd already come to the conclusion that when it comes to Treasure Tales, New mexico is like that "6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game. Pert near every treasure story with a Map seems to either begin, intersect, or end in New Mexico.

Makes ye wonder if they may have all originated from the same source.

Thoughts to chew on. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread