Giants

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a much better than usual series of articles in progress on the giant skelatons and artifacts associated with them discovered over the years in the U.S. The sheer number of these, and the consistency of the details makes the claim, to anyone familiar with the scope and detail of these, that they are all hoaxes laughable. To my mind, even contemptable -- on a par with "swamp gas" identification of UFOs.

One of several things that impresses me is that they did their homework, learning the history of the Lene Lenape (which fully supports it) and incorporating it into the account for a bigger "big picture."

www.exploringrealhistory.blogspot.com/2022/07/part-2-ancient-giants-who-ruled-america.html

(Internal link back to part 1)

Upvote 6

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The average height of an NBA player is generally around 6-foot-6. However, the range of player's height in NBA history is over two feet (24 inches), with the tallest player standing at 7-foot-7 and the shortest player standing in at 5-foot-3. In NBA history, there have been 14 players to stand 7-foot-4 or taller

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that UFO stuff is nutzzzzzz ! Everyone knows beyond a shadow of a doubt "we humans" are Kings of the entire Universe,and beyond LOL

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It's interesting that almost every culture has a history or story about giants. And tall people were wildly popular circus attractions well into the early 1900's.

Even today, it's something that just captures peoples attention and we have TV, internet, etc. I think that "mental stickiness" made it into a lot of creation stories, which were passed down.

I am also absolutely positive that people back then had the same tumors that people now get. There is a very famous dwarf pipe from one of the Adena mounds, and lots of precolombian pottery shows a range of medical conditions (the different types of dwarfism, pituitary gland issues, etc.)

It makes sense if someone in ancient times ended up at the extreme of the spectrum, they would treated different and buried differently.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There were giants, they were on every continent. They were reported on by every culture. They were not freaks but a race. Old newspapers from 1800's to early 1900's have literally reported the same phenomenon country wide although separated by states and no communication with each other back then. Many of these skeletons were 7-9 ft. Local doctors, constables, mayor's all reported these findings. The Smithsonian often got involved and wisked these skeletons away never to be seen or heard from again. Believing or not really doesn't change a thing. It's fun to read of these things along with UFO's, Bigfoot, and the like. I'll belive in these things before I'll believe all we see around us on earth and in the mind boggling universe is the result of some "cosmic accident". Yeah right. We know nothing, if we did we wouldn't be in the sorry state of affairs we constantly find ourselves in. Were a bunch of pets who have learned a few tricks.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was said of the Karankawas, the skeletons were found in six ancient mounds at present day Port Neches park in Port Neches, Tx. Which were later destroyed through the years for expansion. "...We found several perfect skeletons buried in the mounds, and the people that lived in them must have been 7 feet tall. We took a lower leg one and placed it beside Capt. (W. P.) Rabb, who is 6 feet tall, and the bone was 6 inches too long for him... The skull from about 1 inch above the eye turned straight back and was as flat as a pancake clear to the rear of the head..."
Nothing too weird about it, just a tribe people that are taller than your average settler, but to them it would probably be considered “a race of giants”.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Skull from an inch above the eye flat clear to the back of the head.

Nothing too wierd about that ?

Really ????????

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No disrespect to the O.P..
It just reminded me of Wadlow I'd read about years ago.
An outlier though ,not a race.https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/size-37-shoe-of-worlds-tallest-person-on-display-at-legendary-michigan-store/ar-AAMcFu7

Giants seems a stretch. What if we're simply smaller than they were?
The article in the o.p. has some spot on descriptions comparable to the state Wadlow visited for shoes.
That of wall and ditch beyond.
One , a single wall took me repeated readings of in an old archeological journal to grasp the "ditch" relation.
Then , lithic artifacts combined the same context/level/placement of mixed origin.

Here's where it got good later (well for me anyways and why I repeat it too much) when about 60 miles North where I've been around multiple mixed lithics from varied origins (read styles varied due to "schools" , not previous eras) in a hearth. In the end of a mound. With a bit of charred bone. (Alleged determined cervid/deer bone.)
Mound site similar to O.P. references in relation to water. As with others in the area.

A couple points of opinion not related to the article though who knows..
To be on the site/area during spring run off and "normal" resultant flooding ,
A mound can be an island. Which suits turtle and co. versions of dry earth origin if a culture subscribes as they did /do here.

Mounds are burial sites, But not always!
Legend and rumor had a certain class and sex at one mound on the North end of a riverine valley. I've not pursued it. But the mounds nearer me below I had detail on the excavations of those sampled.
(While I leave such alone , a college was led into such.)
The mound with the hearth and mixed lithics (which matched the palisade ditch farther South caught my attention most and thus deciphering text. As layman readable was not the goal. l.o.l..
That mound had no burial in it. Nor those downstream. Those above I don't know but suits me if they were left alone.

How tall were those mound builders? If it matters.
Moving that volume of material without leaving "borrow" pits near was work.
Work of the type I'd call a luxury to have time to do.
Big bodies might have been welcomed.

Copper culture but more , red ochre in particular had influence over a broad area. Perhaps the remnants along the Mississippi far below prior part of range. OR , natives there were duplicating similar works?

Bringing me to , who was before red ochre to compare to for size?
And is there any relationship to the alleged reports of red hair long ago?

Todays fun threat is youth storming area 51 for answers. (No I don't advocate going where not welcome. Doubly so when not legal.)
Maybe some of us older folk should storm the Smithsonian for answers?
(I'm kidding if anyone from the government is looking for real threats.)

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a book titled:
Ancient Giants who Ruled America.
Missing Skeletons & the Great Smithsonian Cover-up.
Author: Richard Dewhurst

It is an interesting read and very compelling in showing the neglected / hidden history of giants in N. America.
If you Google Giant Skeletons in N. America you will be presented with hours if not days of information pro & con on the subject. Everyone can come to a conclusion they choose.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting article, thanks for sharing it.

Growing up I remember a certain family that came to town a few times to get supplies. Only recall seeing them twice growing up in the 60's but what stood out was the height.
Now our family were tall, I'm 6'3" and the parents were 6' 1" and 5' 10", and this family towered over my parents.
We were taught not to stare-but as a child it was amazing sight as the father of the clan was a foot or more taller than my own father.
The woman of the clan was probably 6" or more taller than my father.
So there were tall folks around even then, that were not the norm-and treated as like it seemed.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Infant skull deformation in conjunction with gigantism. Normal enough, I guess.

Add: intended sarcasm but not obnoxiously so -- more humorously, like seeing people like that is an everyday thing.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ancient giants referenced in the old historical articles did not suffer from gigantism. They were a distinct race of large humanoids with physical characteristics that were observed in every state they were recovered in. Double rows of teeth, 6 digits on hands & feet. Many had red hair still visible in the graves. I'm sure there were ancient NA's that suffered gagntism & dwarfism but they like today would have been an anomoly.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ancient giants referenced in the old historical articles did not suffer from gigantism. They were a distinct race of large humanoids with physical characteristics that were observed in every state they were recovered in. Double rows of teeth, 6 digits on hands & feet. Many had red hair still visible in the graves. I'm sure there were ancient NA's that suffered gagntism & dwarfism but they like today would have been an anomoly.

It seems to make good sense to me. Isolated groups where gene selection goes on for several generations even without real intention. Women from the tribes preferred the largest of warriors, fewer people meant the blood lines weren’t super varied.

Or maybe something in the environment was a contributor?

Entire tribes of very small people (pigmies) have been found and treated terribly, as lesser humans. Not hard to believe of larger humans being hunted and snuffed out through fear never allowing the blood lines to be carried too far.

I’m sure it’s far less crazy then some people would like to think. Scared humans are really good at killing one another.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Infant skull deformation in conjunction with gigantism. Normal enough, I guess.

Add: intended sarcasm but not obnoxiously so -- more humorously, like seeing people like that is an everyday thing.
I agree 100% I wasn’t minimizing your thread or anything. History is really amazing. I was just putting out some historical info I had come across in the past just for folks to think on. I wasn’t really referring to the skull shape though it would be strange to see, skull deformation isn’t that uncommon in cultures of the world. I was referring to a larger than usual tribe of people and how that they could be easily considered “giants” without being to far out of the known modern biological scope.
If you look at the size of extinct animals you can see a trend of larger than normal species, probably not that strange for ancient people as well. The Gaelic/Celtic/Germanic people were spoke of as being giants to the Romans.

I just don’t buy into to the added ufo/paranormal stuff out there. I like the truth and I like historical facts no matter how strange for what it is at face value. History/science is amazing enough without having to add to it. Unfortunately sometimes it’s not interesting enough for tv and they have to fluff it a bit to make it entertaining.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread