Gilt brass and Enamel Fleur de Lis Sash buckle, few other Victorian sash items and chrub heart pin.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was trying a new spot and had a hunch to stay in the woods. Wasn't long before I hit a surface dump that ranged from 1920s to 1940s. A few non exciting whole bottles, a 1929 wheaty, lipstick tube cap with suit of armor helmet and crest on it (anyone know that logo? ).

Following a trail of Mason jar lid signals I stumbled on another surface dump. But older. Was chasing an iffy iron signal and hit glass. Opened it up more and a lot of 1910s and prior glass started coming out. All unfortunately broken so far. Porters Pain king liniment , dr. Kilmer's swamp root kidney and liver cure, Amber cone ink with blown out base was a bummer. But there's very little iron in dump pit and its really soft sandy soil so I took chance on detecting it.

Quite a selection of sash buckles in it so far. Cannot believe that heart cherub pin is in one piece. It's really thin.
I think piece with red gem may have a second half? Kind if like a butterfly sash clasp. I haven't opened pit up all the way yet so it very well could be in there.

Had a Mason jar lids signal and out came white enamel Fleur de lis sash buckle. Pretty shocked by its condition and how much gold is left given its age. These cleaned up well. Hopefully it's not frozen on me this weekend....

Attachments

• 20230130_211011.jpg
    20230130_211011.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230130_210957.jpg
    20230130_210957.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230130_095309_094.jpg
    IMG_20230130_095309_094.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • 20230129_204642.jpg
    20230129_204642.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 20
OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a lady was in the woods hope you find more of her stuff but of course hope you do not find her bones lol
It's actually a surface bottle dump so hopefully not a spot frequented by a Victorian serial killer...

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was trying a new spot and had a hunch to stay in the woods. Wasn't long before I hit a surface dump that ranged from 1920s to 1940s. A few non exciting whole bottles, a 1929 wheaty, lipstick tube cap with suit of armor helmet and crest on it (anyone know that logo? ).

Following a trail of Mason jar lid signals I stumbled on another surface dump. But older. Was chasing an iffy iron signal and hit glass. Opened it up more and a lot of 1910s and prior glass started coming out. All unfortunately broken so far. Porters Pain king liniment , dr. Kilmer's swamp root kidney and liver cure, Amber cone ink with blown out base was a bummer. But there's very little iron in dump pit and its really soft sandy soil so I took chance on detecting it.

Quite a selection of sash buckles in it so far. Cannot believe that heart cherub pin is in one piece. It's really thin.
I think piece with red gem may have a second half? Kind if like a butterfly sash clasp. I haven't opened pit up all the way yet so it very well could be in there.

Had a Mason jar lids signal and out came white enamel Fleur de lis sash buckle. Pretty shocked by its condition and how much gold is left given its age. These cleaned up well. Hopefully it's not frozen on me this weekend....
Very Cool!! Congrats!! Iced over here😳

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Beautiful stuff, nice job

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the heart shaped one is that an animal? I was able to meet a serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer at a bus stop in Milwaukee in June 1991. I assume you are going back to this spot this weekend hope you find some more like this!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a lady was in the woods hope you find more of her stuff but of course hope you do not find her bones lol
Right!
You can wonder about how these items got where they are - the story behind the item too...!

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the heart shaped one is that an animal? I was able to meet a serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer at a bus stop in Milwaukee in June 1991. I assume you are going back to this spot this weekend hope you find some more like this!
Wow really? The green heart actually has cupid with bow and arrow 🏹 on both sides. Chose to leave it green because I'm not seeing gold coming though. Piece with gem definitely has another half. It's a kind of butterfly sash buckle one half per sash end. Two halves clipped together in back. Trying to get back Sunday to see if I can find other half and anything else. Hopefully it doesn't freeze up on me. Though it's not very wet ground. Could be ok.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right!
You can wonder about how these items got where they are - the story behind the item too...!
It seems to be a surface bottle dump. Lot of broken milk glass oil lamp shades, 1890s to early 1900s bottle pieces, China, medicines, extracts ect. House hold stuff. went out with trash when they went out of fashion?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems to be a surface bottle dump. Lot of broken milk glass oil lamp shades, 1890s to early 1900s bottle pieces, China, medicines, extracts ect. House hold stuff. went out with trash when they went out of fashion?
....might be worthy to do a small test section, screening every shovel-full....it would be
connecting the dots in the history of your site...
Good Luck and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread