35.9 KB · Views: 1,194
Upvote 8

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two points in the first picture are the smallest notched points I have. I do however have a Madison Triangle Point that is even smaller than those, but I don't have a good close up picture of it. It is the orange point right below the Drill in the center of picture #2. The Madison is just a hair short of 1/2 inch long.

Attachments

• Pics-344.jpg
    Pics-344.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • Artifact Pictures 037.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 037.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • Pics-344.jpg
    Pics-344.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 945
  • Artifact Pictures 037.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 037.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 957

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Great post....Here are a couple of my smallest triangles. I'll have to look what I have for
small notched points. T.

Attachments

• DSC04574 copy.JPG
    DSC04574 copy.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,069

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Cool point Dorkfish. The smallest one I've ever found ended
up being lost from my shirt pocket last month a couple days
after I found it. What a bummer! It was half an inch! >:(

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Here's mine.

Found this little guy on Cristmas Eve. It was frozen to the gound.

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

Attachments

• Picture 1294.jpg
    Picture 1294.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 958
  • Picture 1294.jpg
    Picture 1294.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 769

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
These were a gift, not found by me.
I assume they are real since the original finder is family and he says they are.
IMG_2462.jpg
\
Again, found out west sometime in the 70s.

GL, those are real points for sure. The one on the coin and the broke one look to be what we call Harrell points. Fairly typical of the Southern Plains region.
Nice points at that!! Nice gift you received there if I do dare say so.
Heres I guess some of the smallest I have...I think.

Attachments

• birds apr.jpg
    birds apr.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 733
  • tiny, mound 1.jpg
    tiny, mound 1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,748

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Okay. Some of these are just ridiculously small! They have got to be more along the lines of a bored Indian making a teeny point from a flake while waiting for a deer out on a hunt, or jewelry or something. I thought mine were too small to be functional but now I see ones that appear to be too small to lash to an arrow. I can fully see a point maybe an inch or even 3/4 of an inch used on actual arrows but there is one above me that is smaller than half a penny!
Did Natives use darts or blowguns? These little guys make me think that maybe some points were purely art or to see how small or intricate they could make them.

I mean really, was there ever a more interesting hobby than collecting Indian artifacts? Keep on posting these! I love it.

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
GL said:
Okay. Some of these are just ridiculously small! They have got to be more along the lines of a bored Indian making a teeny point from a flake while waiting for a deer out on a hunt, or jewelry or something. I thought mine were too small to be functional but now I see ones that appear to be too small to lash to an arrow. I can fully see a point maybe an inch or even 3/4 of an inch used on actual arrows but there is one above me that is smaller than half a penny!
Did Natives use darts or blowguns? These little guys make me think that maybe some points were purely art or to see how small or intricate they could make them.

I mean really, was there ever a more interesting hobby than collecting Indian artifacts? Keep on posting these! I love it.
I must admit that the one smaller than half a penny might be a bit skewed since the penny in question is about three inches in diameter.Check the hand photo its a bit more to scale. I agree a fabulous hobby!, U

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
GL, the Cherokee used/use cane blowguns w/darts for birds and small animals but to the best of my knowledge
none of the darts were tipped with anything. They just grind the end of the shaft to sharpness.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a few,I may have shown these befor, sorry if I have...d2

Attachments

• DSC02142.JPG
    DSC02142.JPG