Glacial Deposits

Sep 28, 2012
Hello all! Longtime lurker, first-time poster here with a question that I apologize for if its already been asked. I am wondering about the likelihood of finding gemstones in glacial till. I understand it is probably akin to finding a needle in a haystack, but I have researched maps which lead me to believe that if it may be worth pursuing. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
True.. becasue these glacial area tend to move very slow.. If anything is found.. It would be very deep or under these frozen tundras.. Only hope is for a dry area right under these frozen areas that allow you to explore.. However studies have shown.. that the glacial movment acts like sand paper and can even move larger stones miles from their current locations.. So anything found within these "tracks" could be nothing more then gem dust.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y
Sep 28, 2012
I figured it would be quite difficult to locate anything substantial, but I think I have a pretty good starting point. The area I live in is a couple hundred miles south of a diamond mine which is still active to this day. The last glaciers receded thousands of years ago so ice is not of issue; though if I were to have to search below the frost line, my window of opportunity in any given year would be limited. As luck would have it, I've located a drumlin at the headwaters of a creek and have seen maps indicating substantial sediment deposition where the pool actually narrows down into its creek form. It's getting late in the year so i will probably have to wait until spring or even summer. If further research supports my findings, I will be building a sluice over the winter as I believe this to be the best way to find anything. Then again I may just go sooner if the water levels remain low...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the glaciers direction was right and gem deposits also existed I suppose it would be possible.
I would search in rivers which pass trough the glacial till, since these will concentrate and sort out the stuff they pick up along the way.

Upvote 0

ScribbleMuse

Jul 12, 2012
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Central Wisconsin and have been picking over a local small creek that is just a trove of glacial till. I am rather ignorant still and trying to learn all that I can about geology, but with the winter season approaching I have been really concentrating on just getting out there and making the most of the time I have left, figuring that I'll do most of my self-education over the winter months as I finish cleaning and playing with my finds.

As far as gems and value, I don't know any statistics or variables that would predict what you'd find. I do know that I am absolutely smothered with extremely interesting finds at the moment, most unidentified though I am thinking most of mine are great specimens of colorful petrified wood. There are lots of agate type stones as well as jasper candidates. Quartz seems to abound where I am, as well as calcite. This isn't a definite answer whatsoever, but just wanted to point out that at least for an amateur rock hunter/mineralogy buff, a glacial deposited area can provide quite a lot of experience in identification of a large array of specimens and also satisfaction in at least finding some interesting types. I've been out in other areas that are outside the most obvious till zones, and it's difficult to find anything of obvious interest without a LOT of work and digging, so that is a great option to have. For me, it's a definite joy to have spots within just a 10-minute drive where collecting is legal (and do check out that aspect), the finds are almost guarenteed to interest me if not give me monetary value, and also so productive and varied that I can even take advantage of just an hour of free time.

The facts of variety and also the convenience are the most important for me, since I'm not from this area and other than the glacial deposits, I find it difficult to find anything of interest to me compared to the Kentucky hills and rural areas I grew up in.

So, sorry I didn't answer your question but I'm way too amateur to attempt saying any definite statement about what you COULD find. I just know that in my limited experience, I am extremely happy when picking around my glacial tills, and if nothing else, I'm finding a lot of gorgeous specimens that would be great candidates for lapidary and/or decor--maybe to most true mineralogists they'd be a leaverite, but they're quite likely to be at least the type of leaverite that has a place within sentimental collections or interests. I have only found a few specimens that I'd consider potential GEMS, however. In my glacial till at least, the majority seem to be calcite or pseudomorph types.

Probably a long shot, but I've also heard of glacial diamonds being discovered around here and other glacial areas. I don't know how common they are, and would be more likely to research them just to learn more about the methodology of finding any type of particular specimen in glacial tills, but perhaps there are more common areas for those and other gems.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep the season is coming to a close and i't might be dificult to search in these areas for these stones.. wet and snowy weather will undoubtedly cover or wash things away.. Best time of year when the snow is melting..just before the rainy season (spring) thou not without its faults or rain and simply bad weather.. do some planing I bet youll find something.. maybe not your first time out.. But keep hitting that same area.. Shallow streams or exposed river beds just outside the glacer slide

Upvote 0

luxefaire

Dec 21, 2005
Jolly Corner FL
Detector(s) used
Any
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tiffanys bought a diamond in the 20s that a lady found in her field, in alabama. kimberlite gets scooped by glaciers because it is soft, its how the canadian deposits were tracked initially, there are other gemstones moved this way too...there have been diamonds found out of area many many times, and most are attributed to glacial action. i know someone who found a big diamond while mining for gold in n california. many prospectors employ this knowledge.

Upvote 0

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Most of Michigan is Glacial till and the gravel pits are a gold mine of fossils, semi precious stones, the occasional diamond, and yes I have found gold in them too. Nothing much to brag about but it can be found with time, persistence and someone that will let you spend hours going through their rocks.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread