Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find, it looks like it may have come from an early wine bottle but more pictures would be very helpful. That certainly looks like knapping to me so it may be an interesting case of the natives recycling discarded glass. It would be extraordinary if you managed to find a glass arrowhead made from a 17th-18th century bottle on the farm, and with items like that one your chances look good. What other artifacts have you found there?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the previous posts , this looks like knapping ! Very interesting find - I know there are quite a few contemporary knappers out there - I really want to get their take on this !

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should post this in the artifact forum here , specifically- North American Indian Artifacts -there is a subforum titled Modern Flint Knapping , for a higher number of informed responses , go there !

tlh2865

Jan 4, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not unheard of to find Obsidian pieces in even the Atlantic states. I found a piece of raw obsidian amongst a great many native artifacts in the Shenandoah valley of Virginia. Trade was prolific amongst the native peoples, it isn't hard for me to believe that pieces of obsidian would be found on the east coast, if only rarely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread