Glazed Pipe

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been digging around the colonial farm I grew up on. I have come across a number of small pieces of glazed pipe. I don't imagine that this are colonial period. I remember several large complete pieces (largely tee's) laying around the property when I was a kid. In any case, I was hoping someone could tell me what it is. It seems to be some form of cement, with a brown glaze. The cement is about 1" think. As well as I can remember the complete pieces they were fairly large diameter, 10-12". The complete pieces were flanged, so I assume some sort of water pipe. The glazing is roughly the color of a football.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google "vitrified clay pipe".

It's usually for the older sewer lines from house to the street. Per SewerHistory.org "Clay pipe has been in-use in sanitary sewer systems for at least 5,000 years." Still used because it resists acids and H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide - very corrosive).

https://www.google.com/search?q=vitrified+clay+pipe&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwix5ruGzMTwAhX0Vd8KHaJfDDAQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=vitrified+clay+pipe&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjoICAAQCBAHEB46BAgAEBhQ-pUBWKDDAWCPxgFoAHAAeACAAVeIAa0MkgECMjCYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=aAacYLGSOvSr_Qaiv7GAAw&bih=966&biw=1920&client=firefox-b-1-d

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea of the age? I recall seeing it laying around on the ground in the 60's. Dug this piece up about 4" down. No doubting you, I don't have any sewer, nor is it in the neighborhood. View attachment 1925241 Glazed pipe.JPG Glazed pipe.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not without seeing it. And even then probably not. It's like looking at a clay flowerpot and trying to guess the age of it.

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck are you guys talking about?!?!?!?!

color of a football...you mean clay sewer pipe???

Post here asking about clay pipe?????

FFS

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What the heck are you guys talking about?!?!?!?!

color of a football...you mean clay sewer pipe???

Post here asking about clay pipe?????

FFS

Yes apparently his piece of clay pipe is brown like an American football is, it is even stippled in appearance. So the OP made the observation that it looked football in color.

Glazed pipe.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've repaired sewer pipe like yours that was installed by the C.C.C in Stafford Va around 1940 .

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting