Going to Melbourne in July....Are the beaches worth hunting there?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the next few weeks I will be going to Melbourne and have 2 full weeks of ME time. I was just curious if anyone on here has hunted the beaches there or if there are betters spots to scope out.

not looking to get into anyones private areas, more just looking to hear from people that have hunted them before. My only downfall is not having my trusty scoop, but I figure i can find something collapsible by then.

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melbourne, Australia?
Or Florida, USA

OzDirtFisher

Jun 22, 2019
Victoria
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000 & Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If heading to Melbourne, Australia, you're looking at possibly the coldest time of year.
Beaches will be obviously lacking the summer beach going traffic and related dropping of coin, rings, watches, phones etc.
Many local councils on the eastern Port Phillip bayside from St Kilda down to Mt Martha, operate tractor beach cleaners on at least a weekly basis (Inclusive of winter months). Spoke to a tractor operator last week and he advises of a general clearance raking down to 150mm, whereby picking up all sorts of goodies. The more matured oldtime bottle-tops are still abundant at greater depth.

Beach Tractor.jpg

Best time to visit and detect would be October through to March and hit those beaches post 6pm.
Y'all have a good time on your visit. Cheers, ODF

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If heading to Melbourne, Australia, you're looking at possibly the coldest time of year.
Beaches will be obviously lacking the summer beach going traffic and related dropping of coin, rings, watches, phones etc.
Many local councils on the eastern Port Phillip bayside from St Kilda down to Mt Martha, operate tractor beach cleaners on at least a weekly basis (Inclusive of winter months). Spoke to a tractor operator last week and he advises of a general clearance raking down to 150mm, whereby picking up all sorts of goodies. The more matured oldtime bottle-tops are still abundant at greater depth.

View attachment 1725596

Best time to visit and detect would be October through to March and hit those beaches post 6pm.
Y'all have a good time on your visit. Cheers, ODF

Thanks for the heads up! Yea, I would love to go while they are active and warm, but I'm pigging backing on someone going for work for 2 weeks, So I will take what I can get.

Either way, if I dont come away with anything of real value, its just going to be an amazing experience metal detecting in another country.

Flight leaves today and i will be landing there on July 2nd!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the beaches on the mournington Peninsula Around Rye The beaches are very clean which would be explained by frequent combing. If your detector is water proof I would thing it would be better at the shallow shore in the water? Dead of winter there now so it will be VERY cold. I always go in March which is end of summer and most all beach birds are returning North for the warmer winters. Good LuCK!

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the beaches on the mournington Peninsula Around Rye The beaches are very clean which would be explained by frequent combing. If your detector is water proof I would thing it would be better at the shallow shore in the water? Dead of winter there now so it will be VERY cold. I always go in March which is end of summer and most all beach birds are returning North for the warmer winters. Good LuCK!

Thanks Randy!

Tomorrow will be my first day heading out there and to be honest. Its starting to warm up a bit (60's) But I will probably stay knee deep in the shallows if I get in the water. I really don't expect to come out with a motherload. Its just exciting to me to be in another country detecting. Hopefully I will have something to post in the next couple weeks!

Jimoutside

Jul 16, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well---did you go yet? What did you find? If you're still there, you should consider taking a train ride up to Ballarat and/or Bendigo and see the mining history up there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread