Gold and Sapphire Ring Found at the Site of Shipwreck

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without going into too many details, I will say that there is a beach I have searched several times with my son in the mid-Atlantic that is but a couple hundred yards from the location of a late 18th century wreck where more than a hundred passengers drowned. I never hit the beach with hopes very high because it has been searched so hard and for so long. So when we popped out on the beach one recent afternoon, it was with low expectations. But I did say to him, as Mel Fisher always said, "Today could be the day."

We searched for several hours and saw two or three other detectors on the beach in our proximity, but my years old Fisher always seems to turn up something when the others can't. A few fishing weights and a few modern pennies later and the day was nearing a close. As we made our way back toward the car, I told him we would dig one more. We got a nice strong signal, and it was deep. We dug and dug and it wasn't long before the sand gave up this beautiful sapphire and gold ring. The ring is not marked and appears handmade though I have no way to know if it may have come off the wreck or was lost later. I had it XRF'd and it tests right around 23K, and the jeweler says it looks like a very old cut stone. It's been many years I've been searching, and this is certainly the best thing I've ever found. It was very nice to share the moment with my son, and I've put the ring aside for him when he's a little older. Is it from the wreck? How could I be sure?

Attachments

• 95571674_630119457541861_6696920257275101184_n.jpeg
    95571674_630119457541861_6696920257275101184_n.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 654
  • 94497658_229749334967133_1995932016108896256_n.jpeg
    94497658_229749334967133_1995932016108896256_n.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 385
  • 94640147_183078119413781_7496692353755774976_n.jpeg
    94640147_183078119413781_7496692353755774976_n.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 94779692_565498807423166_4838023622331203584_n.jpeg
    94779692_565498807423166_4838023622331203584_n.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 67

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what it takes to get you a banner, but you sure should get it based on your dogged pursuit of treasure and the eventual result. Hoping for the same kind of outcome while detecting the treasure Coast beaches. Congratulations to both of you on an amazing find.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without going into too many details, I will say that there is a beach I have searched several times with my son in the mid-Atlantic that is but a couple hundred yards from the location of a late 18th century wreck where more than a hundred passengers drowned. I never hit the beach with hopes very high because it has been searched so hard and for so long. So when we popped out on the beach one recent afternoon, it was with low expectations. But I did say to him, as Mel Fisher always said, "Today could be the day."

We searched for several hours and saw two or three other detectors on the beach in our proximity, but my years old Fisher always seems to turn up something when the others can't. A few fishing weights and a few modern pennies later and the day was nearing a close. As we made our way back toward the car, I told him we would dig one more. We got a nice strong signal, and it was deep. We dug and dug and it wasn't long before the sand gave up this beautiful sapphire and gold ring. The ring is not marked and appears handmade though I have no way to know if it may have come off the wreck or was lost later. I had it XRF'd and it tests right around 23K, and the jeweler says it looks like a very old cut stone. It's been many years I've been searching, and this is certainly the best thing I've ever found. It was very nice to share the moment with my son, and I've put the ring aside for him when he's a little older. Is it from the wreck? How could I be sure?
Stellar find! To me the construction of that ring to me looks late 1700's- late 1800's.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There could be a couple reasons for no hallmarks, 1. the ring was decreased in size, 2. In the United states there was no required hallmarks up to 1900. In 1906 the U.S. passed the jewelers liability act of 1906 requiring a hallmark. Theres other reasons as well, but I'm still investigating a bit. Also during the Georgian & Victorian era alot of jewelry was not hallmarked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know what it takes to get you a banner, but you sure should get it based on your dogged pursuit of treasure and the eventual result. Hoping for the same kind of outcome while detecting the treasure Coast beaches. Congratulations to both of you on an amazing find.
Thank you for the kind words! -N

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moley... Finally something in my wheel house surfaces... its been awhile.
First... i will start with... BE CAREFUL WHO you allow or show this to in person DUE to the value.
SUPER banner find and definitely one of the best finds I have seen posted on Treasurenet.
STELLAR find.

Also... what info have you received... Like who told you it was Sapphire and not Aquamarine etc ?

This needs a ACCURATE test for purity and then post results please.

Last edited:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding that ring. Now you will enjoy the journey of trying to find out about your ring.

I suggest you send a picture of it to Dr. John DeBry of the 1715 Fleet Society and Dr. Priscilla Muellar of the Hispanic American Society of NYC, for their expert opinions.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding that ring. Now you will enjoy the journey of trying to find out about your ring.

I suggest you send a picture of it to Dr. John DeBry of the 1715 Fleet Society and Dr. Priscilla Muellar of the Hispanic American Society of NYC, for their expert opinions.
No need... Its not Spanish... IMO... or i would have stated the possibility of it. heh
There is the possibility of course of many origins.,, but overall it does not have a typical Spanish "feel" / "finished look"

And neither of them can tell any more from a picture than I can.

Purity test is in order to narrow any further without known location provenance of said ship.,, AND OR the exact location and history of any other and all artifact surfacing if any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No need... Its not Spanish... IMO... or i would have stated the possibility of it. heh
There is the possibility of course of many origins.,, but overall it does not have a typical Spanish "feel" / "finished look"

And neither of them can tell any more from a picture than I can.

Purity test is in order to narrow any further without known location provenance of said ship.,, AND OR the exact location and history of any other and all artifact surfacing if any.
The ship itself was Irish.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great find! Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread