Diggydust

Greenie
Feb 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
991D5BC9-0AB4-4F4F-813E-6FC1E4FE2164.jpeg
F982FB5E-6CD0-424A-BF04-29768D00D6E4.jpeg
D70DF4A3-6EC3-436D-B624-113FEFE6D54D.jpeg
Still can’t believe it. Went to a couple spots with my brother and they did not disappoint. We found a handful of Indian head Pennie’s and wheaties with a few stinkin lincolns My Brother pulled a sterling silver union pin and an 1724 king George 1/2 penny (bucket lister.) It was literally laying on the bank of the river waiting to be picked up. Then it happened, about 6 inches deep I pulled out the hand made copper box with an ornate piece of gold in it. Still don’t know what it is but it’s gold none the less. If anyone has an idea what it is please let me know.

Upvote 12

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool! I hope someone IDs the gold thing.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know it looks like gold but did you verify it is in fact gold...and what Karet. Kinda looks like polished brass but it usually does not come out of the ground lookin like that,for sure.

OP
OP
D

Diggydust

Greenie
Feb 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool! I hope someone IDs the gold thing.
Me too. I tried to reverse google search it but I struck out
i know it looks like gold but did you verify it is in fact gold...and what Karet. Kinda looks like polished brass but it usually does not come out of the ground lookin like that,for sure.I tested it with acid and i figured it’s either 10k or 9k bc the 10k solution the gold stayed. And yes gold is def. Undeniable when it comes out the ground.

OP
OP
D

Diggydust

Greenie
Feb 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know it looks like gold but did you verify it is in fact gold...and what Karet. Kinda looks like polished brass but it usually does not come out of the ground lookin like that,for sure.
Hello, Yes I tested it with 10k acid and it stayed on my stone so I’m assuming it’s either 10k or even 9k. Gold def undeniable when it come out the ground or in this case 6 inches deep in a river bed.

OP
OP
D

Diggydust

Greenie
Feb 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can’t figure out what the heck it was used for.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like some sort of old clip. Maybe like and old women’s hair clip. There would have been more but that was my first thought

OP
OP
D

Diggydust

Greenie
Feb 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the other side of it look like? It would be good to know whether the design is only on the one side. Seems that the side you have shown would be unseen, as the hooks are on that side.
The other side has the same pattern on it. I thought it was maybe a tie holder but I researched them and I don’t think it’s that. They look like a money clip or have a hinge on them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Yes I tested it with 10k acid and it stayed on my stone so I’m assuming it’s either 10k or even 9k. Gold def undeniable when it come out the ground or in this case 6 inches deep in a river bed.
When you say "or even 9k" ... why do you say this ? - did it "slow fade" ?
Just so you know... if it slow faded then yes it could be in fact 9... or 8... but also could be heavy rolled or heavy filled.

Only one way to tell for sure is to take a file to an inconspicuous spot and file into... then drop 14 into cut... and post reaction.

PS... dont worry about "screwing it up"... for what you found is only part.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread