Gold bars

chalky919

Feb 8, 2023
Hi guys,
Iā€™m after a bit of advice here and have no idea where else to find the answers. Long story short a guy that works for me happens to have dug up a S*** load of gold and jewellery on his farm. For security reasons I donā€™t want to mention what country this is in. Anyway Iā€™ve done a lot to help him out over the years and he wants to repay the favour by giving me 10-20kg worth of gold bars.

My question is will I be able to pack this in my suitcase and bring it back to my home country of New Zealand?

The gold is obviously not registered will this matter?

Anyone with a bit of knowledge about treasure would know which army buried it there in ww2 once they know the location so does that then belong to the country that originally buried it there if they find out we found it?

I havenā€™t seen anything against this on the New Zealand customs website it just says I have to declare it. Iā€™d love to give you all the details as itā€™s extremely interesting but I will save that for when itā€™s all said and done and tell you the story

Tonnes

Dec 2, 2021
Detector(s) used
AuraMeter, Japanese Wand, VR 8000 Long Range Gold Detector, Nokta DeepHunter 3D Pro, AuraSensor
Hi guys,
Iā€™m after a bit of advice here and have no idea where else to find the answers. Long story short a guy that works for me happens to have dug up a S*** load of gold and jewellery on his farm. For security reasons I donā€™t want to mention what country this is in. Anyway Iā€™ve done a lot to help him out over the years and he wants to repay the favour by giving me 10-20kg worth of gold bars.

My question is will I be able to pack this in my suitcase and bring it back to my home country of New Zealand?

The gold is obviously not registered will this matter?

Anyone with a bit of knowledge about treasure would know which army buried it there in ww2 once they know the location so does that then belong to the country that originally buried it there if they find out we found it?

I havenā€™t seen anything against this on the New Zealand customs website it just says I have to declare it. Iā€™d love to give you all the details as itā€™s extremely interesting but I will save that for when itā€™s all said and done and tell you the story
Maybe you are referring to the WW2 Imperial Japanese Army war loot in Southeast Asia.

To avoid confiscation and conflict, consider extending first your tourist visa so you could recast your bars to smaller pieces like a kilobar or a 10-gram nugget then sell it on pawnshops and jewelry stores because you are carrying an undocumented gold.

After collecting all the sales from you bars you may now buy digital gold token here : https://www.perthmint.com/invest/goldpass/perth-mint-gold-token-pmgt/
then you will be given a GoldPass digital gold certificate that is redeemable to physical gold that can be delivered at your home's doorstep. Just read the procedures on the link above so you can easily own a documented gold without the hassles of carrying them to the airports.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is the Philippines, there is a (presumed to be accurate) summary of the legal position from a local law firm at this link:

From a New Zealand perspective, I can see nothing in legislation which restricts you from importing the gold, apart from the need to declare it. There appears to be no duty payable. The only potential issue is that (arising from sanctions against Russia) NZ prohibits the import of gold which is of Russian origin. You would need proof that it isn't.

No-one in their right minds would pack anything that valuable in aircraft hold baggage without insurance (which might be problematical to secure). Bags and contents with value go missing from airport baggage handling services all the time. Cabin baggage weight limits might trip you up and prevent you from taking it as carry-on. Not to mention that it would undoubtedly be picked up on X-ray and you would likely then have questions to answer about ownership legality and motive. As well as delay.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread