Gold bug 2 coil repair

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most coils can not be repaired, if the short is inside the coil you are out of luck. It could be the cable but you would need to know where, if it is at the connection then you just need a new coil.

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
Most coils can not be repaired, if the short is inside the coil you are out of luck. It could be the cable but you would need to know where, if it is at the connection then you just need a new coil.
Have you tried Factory reset, I mean reset the equipment brian

OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The short is in the connection going in to the coil cover , I tried to loosen the connector but was so tight I did not want to strip the plastic nuts . I think the covers are glued shut , If I have to get a new coil then It can't hurt trying to fix this one .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The short is in the connection going in to the coil cover , I tried to loosen the connector but was so tight I did not want to strip the plastic nuts . I think the covers are glued shut , If I have to get a new coil then It can't hurt trying to fix this one .
The connector at the coil is not a connection point, it is a passthrough point, cable goes through and is soldered to the coil windings then resin is poured over the windings.

OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the passthrough point is the short do you think there is enough wire ( not in resin ) to work with & re- solder together ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the passthrough point is the short do you think there is enough wire ( not in resin ) to work with & re- solder together ?
Most likely not but you could open it up and see, not working for you now anyway. If it was me I would just get a new coil, but that is just me.

OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like fixing things that will save $ , Another thought if I did fix it at the passthrough point would the solder joint be an issue I think so .

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 47

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to be sure it was waterproof and be sure you didn't cross wires.

OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the factory sealed all of it in resin to prevent vibration & the pass thru port is where the issue is I decided to seal it in resin .
here is how it came out
coil repair 002.JPG

coil repair 003.JPG

002.JPG

This stopped all the vibrations in the wire & works fine , Yah hooo! I just saved some $ for now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just FYI they are not covered in resin to stop vibration, it is to keep the copper windings protected in case of leaks, copper windings will rust and they are very thin copper wires, once one is rusted thru coil stops working.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just FYI they are not covered in resin to stop vibration, it is to keep the copper windings protected in case of leaks, copper windings will rust and they are very thin copper wires, once one is rusted thru coil stops working.
Um, no, copper doesn't rust, and the epoxy is to prevent coil movement.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um, no, copper doesn't rust, and the epoxy is to prevent coil movement.
Perhaps corrode rather than rust is a betterCables were good going into the coil word, all I know is I have seen many coils go bad that had cracks and leaks in the outer cover, cables test good going into the coils while working in repair center and they were water proof coils.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread