Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought beaches were only good for sinkers and clad.

Who would have thought?

Anyway I went to beaches in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia in the last week. I visited six different spots. Most were pretty clean, unfortunately. I got no jewelry whatsoever. Once upon a time ago I had taken my small boat along the bay and the Potomac (not telling where this was found, sorry!), and had spotted some conceivable house collapses from the boat and from beaching it and finding some early glass and stuff along the banks. Well, over the last few days I went to three beaches. The first one was known for shark's teeth and I didn't do very well, got a few small ones. Second beach has larger teeth but I only found a few Hemiprisis teeth and the "fake" one I posted on previously.

The last beach had been hit by another MD'er. So I went to plan "B" and started looking closer to the parking lot and trail leading to the beach. I then started getting pull tabs, aluminum foil, a couple sinkers, and just a few pieces of clad. I then found one silver US coin about the size of a dime, but it was so far gone from the salt water it crumbled to almost dust! It must have been old, in order to do that. The silver coins we get at beaches are ususally corroded beyond redemption.

I was getting ready to leave and decided to use the Deus' small size loop to detect between a rock and a hard spot. I got a decent but aluminum foil range, but dug it anyway, I generally do this. Look what popped up. Of course, this was the day I had left my cell at my house, so I felt almost nekked without it and couldn't do an in situ pic. The following day I did get some nice pics from a nearby site in Virginia, here's some cool cliffs!

IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

Toy from a nearby spot: IMG_0842.JPG

Sharks tooth from a visit a few years ago: IMG_0841.JPG

Cliffs along the river, about 20 miles away: IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0844.JPG

Since Deus did that newest upgrade it rocks in salt water.

Upvote 138

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Congrats!! I bet you weren't expecting that!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a Banner vote for Smokey again.....

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey...you've been absolutely smokin' those beaches. A Gold coin find!! Awesome.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zowie! Blam! Kapow! Didn't want to use the usual superlatives. Amazing find, Smokey. You dug another Banner, for sure.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....that's beautiful Congrats smokey....and to think that was only worth a dollar back then. My how things have changed...great work smokey !!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I like the car the best!:cat: Anyway, I'll post some of the junk. The distance in air miles from Point A to Point B is over 150. I did a LOT of driving. About 1600 miles in a circle. Now I want to get a boat to get to the places that I KNOW there are old spots washing both into the ocean and the bay, but they are not very accessible by land.

I'll try to get some pics later.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey this is incredible! I guess it pays in gold to dig the pull tabs. Awesome piece of history! So happy for you!!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounded like a larger wadded up piece of aluminum. That's why you 1) don't rely on the meter and 2) dig it all. Most folks would have missed it - and as a matter of fact since that beach had been hit hard recently - they did! Dry sand, although it was somewhat wet underneath.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of the tiny teeth I got. IMG_0847.JPG

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats,

You just never know what's gonna turn up.

Still looking for my first gold coin 26 years hunting and have not seen one in a plug yet.

Maybe one day.

Jeremy

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey, ya gotta delve into some water hunting. With your obvious skills, that would open another world to you. My gold finds in my new years of hunting have been in the water. I had a lapse of about 30 years before beginning the hobby again. Work & divorce got in the way in between.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS, I'm going to go boat shopping in about 10 minutes. PLEASE SOMEONE STOP ME!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Smokey, clearly there is NO STOPPING YOU, my dear :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread