Gold coin find

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Here is my best so far, anybody ever find one from this mint?

Find details: That year started to do sidewalks and house tear ups as my major detecting focus. I had only a short time left in the detecting season, I needed 4 coins (keepers) to reach 68 to double the previous years total. It was November 29th the day before my birthday. Ground was frozen for days, it melted enough to go. I hit a couple of sites and only had 13 cents modern. I went to the site that a house was torn down. I had gotten 4 Indian Heads from it before. Oldest 1860, no silver at all. They had shaved down 8-10 inches of the yard. But they had also done the location of the new driveway. The day they did that they parked the bobcat on the spot. Day in question it was gone. It was dim light, I scanned the location and got a screwcap signal. So i popped up some dirt and there it was. I figured it was the top of a beer bottle (college kids had lived there). I picked it up then realized it was a gold coin. In the dim light i could make out the date, and all the detail. I put it in my pocket, just then a little old lady walks by and asks find anything? I told her as i pulled it out, just a five dollar gold piece. I do not know what she thought. I thought it was Denver for about 2 hrs. till i realized Denver did not exist then.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 22,177
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 22,091

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just gonna say the same thing. Very nice Find

C

czman

Great job...thats my dream...Have hunted since 1971 and never found a gold coin...HH

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice Half Eagle! 8)

Where did you find it? Tell the story if you'd like to 8)

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Great coin Pete. Congratulations. Thanks for the help with settings too~CO2

skinnyoda

Dec 10, 2004
California
Hey man

What part of the country did you find that in? I have a coin very similar to that, I put it in front of my coil and it sounded off really good, as a mater of fact I turned my disc level up to 5,(Bandito IIUmax) and it still sounded off good. Thats a great find by the way:)

C

Carl in CO

Beautiful! Only in my dreams! Bet that made your eyes light up.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
Wisconsin?!?!?! That's clearly a Denver mint mark. Send it to me and I'll make it feel at home! ;D CO2

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dahlonega (GA.)

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
Sheesh, what was I thinking. Denver wasn't even much of a stage stop in 1843! Send the coin along and I'll make it feel at home! ;D ~CO2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions