OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look folks gold is precious metal, not many folks have and it’s not clad, small and detecting it has its challenges but keep in mind silver coins aren’t easy either, try finding needle in haystack, great information

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Keep in mind that when gold coins were in circulation, anybody who lost one would have spent a great deal of time trying to find it again. That was an "eagle sum."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I think so they go nuts loosing such value

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure the chances of finding Spanish escudos is 3 times higher than finding U.S. mint gold coins in the U.S. Especially if you're a diver, then make that 10 times higher. I don't ever expect to find a U.S. gold coin in my lifetime, never have, and probably never will.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a gold dollar and a silver dollar and a greenback had the same value. Silver dollars were not all that popular in everyday transactions, they were big and heavy. Gold coins were used a lot, especially Spanish/Mexican, Portuguese/Brazilian and British. Even French and Dutch gold coins were used.

This is a bit off topic but in 1873 these were all the U.S. coins minted.

Attachments

• 1873.png
    1873.png
    202 KB · Views: 58

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver dollars were not all that popular in everyday transactions, they were big and heavy. Gold coins were used a lot, especially Spanish/Mexican, Portuguese/Brazilian and British. Even French and Dutch gold coins were used.

I have to disagree on that statement. I've seen a lot of 1800's silver dollars that were heavily worn, but rarely see gold coins that are worn at all. Almost every gold coin I've seen posted on YouTube is in great shape. Why? Because they weren't popular, due to their size. They were very easy to lose, while you had to be pretty dumb to lose a huge silver dollar! Just my take on it...

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes very far western Pennsylvania bordering Ohio 10 minutes

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A lot of the U.S. silver dollars were used quite heavily in Latin America, where they were trusted especially during continued on again off again turbulent times. Remember too, we are talking about over 650 total mintage for Morgans alone. Beyond the fact that you can find many worn examples...you can also find an abundance of UNC examples. Far more in fact than other more used denominations.

orork

Greenie
Sep 3, 2012
Port St. Lucie, Florida
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting in Iowa seems to produce much less booty than the old settlements of New England, The treasure coast and The old west. It seems to me the best place in Iowa to find gold coins is our state fair grounds. The fair grounds have been in the same location since the late 1880's. The trouble is, it's illegal to metal detect the fairgrounds.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver commemorative coins, foreign gold bullion, massive gold jewelry.

These three items are more common to find than American gold coins.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The problem with gold coins unlike pull tabs is people who find them selfishly keep them instead of leaving the for others to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions