Gold folks

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed that not many gold folks are on the forum last few years, was wondering what caused people to leave, was it the political environment ?
Or just that prospecting has lost it's shine and no one's doing it ?
Maybe we can get some honest answers here.
I would hope that it was lack of prospectors and not mining folks being divided by politics, we are already so few in numbers, I feel some days I'm the only one left ...
Anyways just something I'm wondering about.....
Gt......

Upvote 8

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the late 1970s, early 1980s nuggetshooting was in its infancy. Large, even multi-ounce nuggets were being found almost daily. By 1990, nuggetshooting was in full swing, and multi-ounce finds were becoming scarce. You could still drop a 4" dredge in just about any river and come away with a few ounces for your trouble.

By the early 2000s, a little gold prospecting was on many people's bucket lists. Several prospectors, including myself, opened gold tourism businesses to take advantage of the surge in gold mining popularity. Then the "Green Meanies" and new regulations started to attack the hobby, and gold mining in general.

Today, areas are limited, gold is scarce, equipment is expensive, and our society has changed dramatically (think "girlie men"). The "hobby," can only be practiced by those in placer gold bearing states. Most club claims are played out, private claims are expensive. Scams rule as idiots flip fake claims or worthless plots of barren soil to pilgrims.

It will never go away though.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry I would not say the claims are played out, Many claims are 20 acres, some might be 120 acres. What I have found is that people in general are lazy. I say that because I have been to many a club outing, everyone follows the lead person to the same spot time after time. Me I walk, sometimes 2 miles in 1 direction, yes I wander off the claims. I sold my side x side, that got me further than my Toy 4x4. I've seen places and found gold where club members never dreamed of going, found old homesteads, mines, areas where the Spaniards mined in the 1600's, been to places there was no turning arround and changed the color of my shorts going down hill.
20190404_113517.jpg
20190508_120435.jpg
20190622_114102.jpg
20170216_120143.jpg
20170216_120155.jpg

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In the late 1970s, early 1980s nuggetshooting was in its infancy. Large, even multi-ounce nuggets were being found almost daily. By 1990, nuggetshooting was in full swing, and multi-ounce finds were becoming scarce. You could still drop a 4" dredge in just about any river and come away with a few ounces for your trouble.

By the early 2000s, a little gold prospecting was on many people's bucket lists. Several prospectors, including myself, opened gold tourism businesses to take advantage of the surge in gold mining popularity. Then the "Green Meanies" and new regulations started to attack the hobby, and gold mining in general.

Today, areas are limited, gold is scarce, equipment is expensive, and our society has changed dramatically (think "girlie men"). The "hobby," can only be practiced by those in placer gold bearing states. Most club claims are played out, private claims are expensive. Scams rule as idiots flip fake claims or worthless plots of barren soil to pilgrims.

Good points Terry,
For me it's in my blood, folks call this gold fever it a sickness can make one forsake all in the search for the yellow metal, most think they have it, but they know not .
I will be at it till the good Lord takes my abilities to do so, I've got the sickness, don't think anything can discourage me from the thrill of the chase, that's why I do the hardrock it's always gonna be there, don't get me wrong I love doin the placer, bleepin, snipin, drywashin, ect, but I always come back to hardrock..
Gt......

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much rock here in S.E.Arkansas,unless you dig down about 1000 ft.But,I think there,s some flour gold in the Arkansas River that may have washed down from Colorado.These gold forums have piqued my curiosity to find out,so I,ve got a pan and soon as the River falls out I,m going out looking.That,s prospecting isn,t it? I know I probably won,t find much but it,s the hunt and satisfying my own curiosity that,s got me going. Thanks to everyone for posting your experiences and knowledge.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold prospecting is great in Oregon! Republic mining helps us a lot. 820 acres of mining claims throughout Oregon, Washington, and California. 99 bucks a year.

A couple of grams from a coastal creek. 8 rivers close. The Klamath, Smith, Whinchuck, Chetco, Rogue, Pistol, Elk and the Sixes within 50 miles.

100_0056.JPG

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold prospecting is great in Oregon! Republic mining helps us a lot. 820 acres of mining claims throughout Oregon, Washington, and California. 99 bucks a year.

A couple of grams from a coastal creek. 8 rivers close. The Klamath, Smith, Whinchuck, Chetco, Rogue, Pistol, Elk and the Sixes within 50 miles.

View attachment 2020679
You know how the Pistol River got it,s name? You drink beer till midnight,Pistol dawn! Nice gold OV!

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry, I would disagree with your assertion that only people in gold bearing states can mine because people are limited to played out club claims and expensive private claims. My point of view (from a person living in the middle of gold country) is that there are MANY unclaimed areas to prospect gold, be it placer, float gold, or lode deposits. These areas are not published in books or magazines, but they ARE disclosed in published documents and maps. Your assessment could be compared to say elk hunting…right down to the expensive equipment. Doesn’t slow out of state hunters much. Maybe switch up your detecting vacations and start hunting “public ground” out west instead of popular pay to play areas. The newest gold detectors are expensive, but are incredibly easy to use. They only require basic digging and recovery skills. They are also drastically more sensitive, detect deeper than most detectors used historically in the gold fields, and are light weight and very well balanced. That means worked out ground is new again.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2020679
Shhh. Don‘t think of mentioning all the lode deposits that fed those rivers.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The newest gold detectors are expensive, but are incredibly easy to use. They only require basic digging and recovery skills. They are also drastically more sensitive, detect deeper than most detectors used historically in the gold fields, and are light weight and very well balanced. That means worked out ground is new again.
How long will it take to pay off a Minelab GPZ finding one-gram pickers? Almost all the big, easy, gold is gone. Paying off a Goldbug II on today's claims takes forever. :skullflag:

goldnuggets

Apr 11, 2022
I noticed that not many gold folks are on the forum last few years, was wondering what caused people to leave, was it the political environment ?
Or just that prospecting has lost it's shine and no one's doing it ?
Maybe we can get some honest answers here.
I would hope that it was lack of prospectors and not mining folks being divided by politics, we are already so few in numbers, I feel some days I'm the only one left ...
Anyways just something I'm wondering about.....
Gt......
The younger people aren’t really into it it seems. They just wanna play video games and find virtual treasure instead of real treasure. I think it’s mainly just a dying hobby unfortunately, but hey more for us I guess!

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry, I would disagree with your assertion that only people in gold bearing states can mine because people are limited to played out club claims and expensive private claims. My point of view (from a person living in the middle of gold country) is that there are MANY unclaimed areas to prospect gold, be it placer, float gold, or lode deposits. These areas are not published in books or magazines, but they ARE disclosed in published documents and maps. Your assessment could be compared to say elk hunting…right down to the expensive equipment. Doesn’t slow out of state hunters much. Maybe switch up your detecting vacations and start hunting “public ground” out west instead of popular pay to play areas. The newest gold detectors are expensive, but are incredibly easy to use. They only require basic digging and recovery skills. They are also drastically more sensitive, detect deeper than most detectors used historically in the gold fields, and are light weight and very well balanced. That means worked out ground is new again.
Always easy for us locals to talk about ease of finding gold or knowing where to look, coming from out of state most don't even know where to camp, not knowing the terrain or even where to look is a big disadvantage to even getting one coil over gold, most districts only have gold concentrations in certain areas, and those have been picked to death.
How many elk hunters bag one just coming in from out of state? I'm sure it's like gold nuggets one relys heavily on luck ..
Gt ....

goldnuggets

Apr 11, 2022
If history repeats it self there will be more mining activity when each new depression / recession comes around.

Hard work with little returns is more common now however with determination can go a long way's in the direction that can spell success for anyone who sticks with it.
Depressions open up a lot of new horizons for people who don’t instantly crumble during them. You’re completely right. There’s still enough gold in this country to spark anouther rush for sure. They never even found the mother lode in alder gulch before they stopped mining out there in the 1920s

goldnuggets

Apr 11, 2022
If it is "Critical minerals" you will have Congress backing up the mining big time.
Always easy for us locals to talk about ease of finding gold or knowing where to look, coming from out of state most don't even know where to camp, not knowing the terrain or even where to look is a big disadvantage to even getting one coil over gold, most districts only have gold concentrations in certain areas, and those have been picked to death.
How many elk hunters bag one just coming in from out of state? I'm sure it's like gold nuggets one relys heavily on luck ..
Gt ....
Enough research and anyone from out of state can come and have a decent idea of where to start looking. Personally I live in Estes but typically go to the western side of the divide to detect or prospect. That doesn’t mean there’s no gold on the eastern slopes. Just means (personally my opinion) the Rocky Mountain national area may have been over looked due to the gold rush at pikes. Then the park was established and you can’t claim on federal land.

goldnuggets

Apr 11, 2022
How long will it take to pay off a Minelab GPZ finding one-gram pickers? Almost all the big, easy, gold is gone. Paying off a Goldbug II on today's claims takes forever. :skullflag:
It’s still out there in places people have looked. Remote hard to get areas no one ever went to. Sure it’s not as easy as the old timers had it, but I’m sure there’s big chunks up in a tributary that’s been overlooked for centuries

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s still out there in places people have looked. Remote hard to get areas no one ever went to. Sure it’s not as easy as the old timers had it, but I’m sure there’s big chunks up in a tributary that’s been overlooked for centuries
I doubt one could find a spot that hasn't been visited by miners from the early days, I tell ya the old timers had it far worse than we do today, they may of got the cream, but many lost there lives from just exposure to the elements, not to mention everything was either carried on ones back or by beast of burden. Working was done by hand in the beginning.
We have it made today compared to days of old it's just harder to find the yeller stuff.
Gt....

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, maybe venture off those worked claims. People are still “paying” detectors off in finds. I’m watching someone work towards paying off a GPX 6000. I have complete confidence that it will happen before the end of the year.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up moving to AZ last year... then put my back out moving, been recovering for 6 months... I'm doing great today, but it's been a long haul. Running my own mining business and having it destroyed by the low life state California has left me far away from the left coast. Never again wil my 2- 8" dredges be able to run there.
I do love Arizona ❤ 😍 💖
I'm still mining here, and involved with the local mining association here, just not much lately being that I'm still recovering. But.. I'm just about ready, moving good again, swimming & getting built back up to go out.
I've been teaching people on the net for over 20 years and so many people know my old answers by heart these days, that I've been able to read posts and not have to answer them myself, while watching other "Far Younger Miners" give excellent advice.
Advice that puts a huge smile on my face 😀😃🙂
I fought the good fight and I've been loving my retirement. No more politics for me :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread