Gold folks

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed that not many gold folks are on the forum last few years, was wondering what caused people to leave, was it the political environment ?
Or just that prospecting has lost it's shine and no one's doing it ?
Maybe we can get some honest answers here.
I would hope that it was lack of prospectors and not mining folks being divided by politics, we are already so few in numbers, I feel some days I'm the only one left ...
Anyways just something I'm wondering about.....
Gt......

Upvote 8
OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wife just banned me from minin today she says it's Easter the Lord's day so I'm just going to lounge and work my garden can't take a day off from that or it dies I live in the desert.

Reed they didn't make mining illegal in California they banned dredging, that's a rich man game anyways. Bottom feeder like me can barley afford gas. So all the equipment needed to dredge to many $$, and there's no guarantee to even get enough gold to cover the gas

I do the dryland dredgings (drywashing) it's legal requires hard work of digging and can yield the same results as water dredgin, don't even have to have gas you can do like me handcrankin or as I like to call it power by Armstrong, there's still hardrock, detecting ,panning ,sniping, none of that is illegal.

I was gonna move Arizona went over got some work, I hung drywall at the time, after Workin my butt off for a week in the heat for 6 cents a square ft, I bailed back to California hangin the same sheets of board for $32 bucks n hour...
At least California I could afford that six-pack after work ..

Anyways we make the best of what we gets, California is where I built my mill and planted trees Is not as bad a place your Makin it out to be.. we all live on the same piece of Terra firma...
Gt...

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife just banned me from minin today she says it's Easter the Lord's day so I'm just going to lounge and work my garden can't take a day off from that or it dies I live in the desert.

Reed they didn't make mining illegal in California they banned dredging, that's a rich man game anyways. Bottom feeder like me can barley afford gas. So all the equipment needed to dredge to many $$, and there's no guarantee to even get enough gold to cover the gas

I do the dryland dredgings (drywashing) it's legal requires hard work of digging and can yield the same results as water dredgin, don't even have to have gas you can do like me handcrankin or as I like to call it power by Armstrong, there's still hardrock, detecting ,panning ,sniping, none of that is illegal.

I was gonna move Arizona went over got some work, I hung drywall at the time, after Workin my butt off for a week in the heat for 6 cents a square ft, I bailed back to California hangin the same sheets of board for $32 bucks n hour...

Anyways we make the best of what we gets, California is where I built my mill and planted trees Is not as bad a place your Makin it out to be.. we all live on the same piece of Terra firma...
Gt...
GT I’ve seen some pretty tight budget dredges built from junkyard parts. Some folks live on the river eating spam and beans for the summer. I really don’t think it’s a “rich man’s” mining method. I never did care for dredging because it hurt my back (didn’t know what I was doing). If I had to drive to the desert to drywash, I’d consider that a rich man’s mining method since it would cost so much to just get there, much less buy equipment I’m not familiar with. Then of course, I’d probably not break even because I wasn’t familiar with the area….mining is mining. We are still doing it and Reed is right about folks not wanting to disclose their activities on line.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gt...
I guess we are thinking very different...
Look at the American River... You can't use a shovel, a sluice box, or any tool other than your hands and a gold pan in the ASRA...
Scroll to the bottom for the gold mining rules. They've closed off roads permenantly as recently as last year.

I used to pull a decent wage out of that area before they outlawed gold mining. You're a hobbyist, I made a living, so we're coming from 2 different worlds. There's plenty of places that will yield 1/2ozt an hour in California, but not without tools...
Now... you can take 15lbs out with you... how much does 1 - 5 gallon bucket of material weigh?
15lbs is maybe a couple gallons...

How about the South Yuba River?

Have you applied for your use of water rights permit?

I've had my permit for years, most people don't even know when they are breaking the law.

I had a legal, profitable, gold mining business in California until 2009 when it was outlawed.
The Lukens Gold Mining Company was active in California from 1903 - 2010. In 2014, I was forced to write it off in my taxes as a total loss.

We had 9 generations of California Gold Miners in my family dating back to before the Gold Rush.

Attachments

• Lukens Ad jpg.jpg
    Lukens Ad jpg.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 126-2611_IMG.JPG
    126-2611_IMG.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 30
  • P7280019 (1).JPG
    P7280019 (1).JPG
    639.3 KB · Views: 31

East Bay

Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had the time to get out there. In the past 2 years I sold my house, bought a house, remodeled a house and worked full time on top of all that, so I've been lucky to get out a couple times in the summer. I'm lucky if I find half a pennyweight each time. Hard to justify a day off and $40 in gas for that.

I'm bummed to hear all you guys having bad experiences taking a buddy out only to have them return and clean the place up. I tend to go out alone but if I take somebody I take them somewhere I don't mind them cleaning up. Also, a lot of you post pictures or videos that give enough clues to locate your spots. You have to be more careful about that if you don't want an army of visitors.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the American River... You can't use a shovel, a sluice box, or any tool other than your hands and a gold pan in the ASRA...
Scroll to the bottom for the gold mining rules. They've closed off roads permenantly as recently as last year.

I used to pull a decent wage out of that area before they outlawed gold mining. You're a hobbyist, I made a living, so we're coming from 2 different worlds. There's plenty of places that will yield 1/2ozt an hour in California, but not without tools...
Now... you can take 15lbs out with you... how much does 1 - 5 gallon bucket of material weigh?

I've had my permit for years, most people don't even know when they are breaking the law.

I had a legal, profitable, gold mining business in California until 2009 when it was outlawed.
The Lukens Gold Mining Company was active in California from 1903 - 2010. In 2014, I was forced to write it off in my taxes as a total loss.

We had 9 generations of California Gold Miners in my family dating back to before the Gold Rush.
I still do mining for a living Reed, walk or just stand in my shoes one day I assure you you wouldn't be calling me a hobby miner..
I'm not gonna be in a pissing match with you, all you can do is insult California and brag about what you used to do, and then insult me by calling me a hobby miner I doubt you could even walk where I go.
Gt.....

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, you said you had a job paying $32.00 an hour hanging sheets above-
" I bailed back to California hangin the same sheets of board for $32 bucks n hour..."
I didn't realize that was in mining? What mine are you working in?
$32 an hour is decent pay . It sounded like you do it as a hobby...
Sorry about that. I do apologize 😀
Reed

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, you said you had a job paying $32.00 an hour hanging sheets above-
" I bailed back to California hangin the same sheets of board for $32 bucks n hour..."
I didn't realize that was in mining? What mine are you working in?
$32 an hour is decent pay . It sounded like you do it as a hobby...
Sorry about that. I do apologize 😀
Reed

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

That's a great line of family history to be proud of Reed ! and to top[ it off you posted a picture of my 4 friends ,Mike ,Bonaro , Reed , and my pal Dave (Zooka ) Brice ! GREAT MEMORIES !

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great line of family history to be proud of Reed ! and to top[ it off you posted a picture of my 4 friends ,Mike ,Bonaro , Reed , and my pal Dave (Zooka ) Brice ! GREAT MEMORIES !
Dan's not in the pic Russ 😀
That's 49erMike Higby, Dave Frank (Vortxrex), myself & Dave Brice (Zooka)
At the 49erMikes Prospectors Cache Moderators Outing back in 2005.
I'm still mining, I have my 4" Proline dredge here in AZ along with my Gold Fox Extreme that gets used all of the time, etc... etc... etc... We spend a lot of time out in the desert filling buckets to bring home, but we don't take many pictures these days 😀

Attachments

• received_720990815194499.jpeg
    received_720990815194499.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 32
  • received_314037386490384.jpeg
    received_314037386490384.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 33

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old timers did the hard work of finding the gold areas for us so that part is already taken care of. Our job is to pick up the crumbs and any side pay they missed. The old timers were everywhere and as far as placer goes they were pretty thorough imo.

I only detect and my gold has more than covered my detectors, gas, tools, etc. In fact detecting is my only hobby that has given me a positive monetary return, not to mention enjoyment.
As far as not posting pics, etc., I had to learn the hard way that it's probably best to keep the trap shut about your finds so I'm trying hard to keep any pics/info to myself and also no longer hunt with others. Unfortunate but gold does funny things to some.....
same reason here. I've seen so much gold dug in the last few years its crazy. mainly in easy to reach well trampled areas too. definetly learned the hard way about sharing, pictures on forums ans even sharing areas and initial finds with people became very problematic.

The forum became less interesting with all the complaining about how hard it is to find good ground and all the fake non helpful profiles. not tnets fault just the nature intrawebs social universe.
dudes are killing it really many many paying for detectors no problem and setting aside really valuable piles for sure.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Reed, I feel your pain, back in late, 2020 I spent 4 months building an electric Miny trommel and soon as I finished it the laws were changed here in Washington state which made it illegal to use, so sad
Use it anyway. The Washington laws prohibited motorized mining but they didnt include a penalty. If caught the F&G can only educate you. No confiscation, no fine. Thank him for the education and get back in the water and shovel on!

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm back at this hobby after about 10 years away. The reason for being away so long was because our club claims were becoming accessible only by 4x4 vehicles. The increased activity by the city folk in their off road vehicles was tearing up what had been adequate roads for two wheel drive vehicles.

A couple of years ago a person ran a red light, and slammed into the crossing vehicle, and those two vehicles slammed into mine. All three vehicles were totaled. Anyway, I managed to save about $15K in 6 months, and purchased a 4x4 truck. No, I don't make a lot of money. I sold my Large cent collection for $7K, and with what I saved, and my income tax return, paid about 2/3rds down.

I rejoined a couple gold mining clubs, and have been having lots of fun. The picture shows a gram of the yellow stuff, I've managed to get in the past 2-3 months. I'd only found about 7 grams in the previous 20 years due to access problems to the claims. Anyway I'm back posting, and having lots of fun.

Attachments

• Another gram of the yellow stuff.jpg
    Another gram of the yellow stuff.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 19

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm back at this hobby after about 10 years away. The reason for being away so long was because our club claims were becoming accessible only by 4x4 vehicles. The increased activity by the city folk in their off road vehicles was tearing up what had been adequate roads for two wheel drive vehicles.

A couple of years ago a person ran a red light, and slammed into the crossing vehicle, and those two vehicles slammed into mine. All three vehicles were totaled. Anyway, I managed to save about $15K in 6 months, and purchased a 4x4 truck. No, I don't make a lot of money. I sold my Large cent collection for $7K, and with what I saved, and my income tax return, paid about 2/3rds down.

I rejoined a couple gold mining clubs, and have been having lots of fun. The picture shows a gram of the yellow stuff, I've managed to get in the past 2-3 months. I'd only found about 7 grams in the previous 20 years due to access problems to the claims. Anyway I'm back posting, and having lots of fun.
May both your fun and your gold finds continually get better!

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Truth about access to the dale, is there has been no rain in three years and the sand is just to loose, you can blame the wash board on off roaders but not the loose sand that's all on mom nature..
The road to the fcm claim is in the middle of a main wash and always been bad...
Gt ....

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Truth about access to the dale, is there has been no rain in three years and the sand is just to loose, you can blame the wash board on off roaders but not the loose sand that's all on mom nature..
The road to the fcm claim is in the middle of a main wash and always been bad...
Gt ....
Yes, you're right about no rain affecting the sand firmness. Years ago myself and another person worked on the old Humbug Road that only crosses a couple of sand patches. I drove that recently, and discovered someone else helped improve that old road. So I try to avoid the big sandy road most people use.. the old road is a bit bumpy due to rocky outcrops, but is at least better than the sandy wash.

And yes, the washboard roads are a result of driving too fast on them. Wish the roads were like they were back in the early 2000's

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use it anyway. The Washington laws prohibited motorized mining but they didnt include a penalty. If caught the F&G can only educate you. No confiscation, no fine. Thank him for the education and get back in the water and shovel on!
Sounds like fun to try this, thanks, it is so funny there is much poaching when it comes to fishing and hunting that they would spend any time on the few goldminers out there, the few F&g officers I ran into had no problem with miners but where more concerned about illegal hunters and fishermen. Thanks Bonaro

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like fun to try this, thanks, it is so funny there is much poaching when it comes to fishing and hunting that they would spend any time on the few goldminers out there, the few F&g officers I ran into had no problem with miners but where more concerned about illegal hunters and fishermen. Thanks Bonaro
Don't forget the F&G can easily look up any active "Claim" with the County records.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions