GOLD! GOLD I TELL YA in a GEODE!

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Bout time I found something, I got new toys so decided to cut some geodes I had for a while. One has gold in it. What do you think, real gold or iron pyrities? Looks like real gold to me. might be worth some bucks, can only find one mention of this happening on the net.

041.jpg
043.jpg
031 [800x600].jpg
025 [800x600].jpg

Upvote 0

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like gold to me too - one quick way too tell, pick out a small bit, put between two pieces of steel, sharp tap with hammer - if it's flattened it's probably gold. if it goes to dust it definitely isn't. Nuggy

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geodes are cool. looks like gold to me. makes the geode that much more interesting :thumbsup:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
To me, gold shines in the shade, and iron pyrite doesn't. That's sort of an unscientific, quick ID I use. If it doesn't work, then I've tossed a lot of dull gold.

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Looks like gold to me too. I wouldn't pick any out. It would be worth much more than the weight of the gold as an intact specimen

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BosnMate said:
To me, gold shines in the shade, and iron pyrite doesn't. That's sort of an unscientific, quick ID I use. If it doesn't work, then I've tossed a lot of dull gold.
Yea,I am betting you have tossed gold...there is goldthat looks like lead until its cleaned up.I have one spot that the gold is black!!I a guy cant look at a piece of gold and look a piece of pyrite and tell the difference ,they ought to look at more of each!!

OP
OP
mickk

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Well it shines in the shade! I spose I will put it away and next time I go to a museum take it with me. Thanks for the replies. I do research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread