Gold hunting in water:HF 9" coil 28 Khz or X35 9" coil 28 Khz which one is better?

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
Gold hunting in water:HF 9" coil 28 Khz or X35 9" coil 28 Khz which one is better?

:dontknow:

Which one is better? Has anyone done a comparison test between the two coils for a jewelry hunt in the water? (freshwater or land)

Both are able to use the same frequency. 28 kHz is very good for detecting gold. When I hunt in the water it is a very useful feature of target ID normalization. On the of LF coil, this was a big advantage. I set the gold range, so I only dug out the signals that belong to it.
The HF 9" coil is great, but when I increase the frequency the VDI changes, getting higher and higher. The upper range will become narrower. This makes it difficult to decide whether to dig or not.
Let's look at an example.
A 1.5 g 14K wedding ring is the test object.
HF 9 "coil at 14 kHz = ID 50, 28 kHz = ID 65, 56 kHz = ID 79.
X35 11 "coil 11.3 kHz = ID 54, 16.4 kHz = ID 54, 25.4 kHz = ID 54!
If I use frequency offset these numbers will change a bit.

The general opinion of many people is that the HF coil is the best. I'm not so sure about that. I looked at this idea in terms of the gold jewelry hunt.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Not too sure about that as i am still learning my Orx. I have found 3 gold rings with it so far and all three I was using the HF 9” round coil in coin fast disc 5, 95 sensitivity, reactivity 2.0 14khz. Two of the rings were very small with the lightest one weighing 0.7grams and the Orx hit hard on it. I’ve dug bottle caps that were just giving a repeatable whisper easily 20-24” down and same with pull tabs 18+ inches. I love my new Orx. I’m digging old beaver tail pull tabs at beaches I’ve gone over with my At Pro dozens of times and that is just awesome to me!

OP
OP
timmysys

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
It is interesting how few use Deus in freshwater in the US. Here in Europe, this machine is popular among water hunters. I really like to use the HF scroll for jewelry hunting in the lakes. But I know several hunters who can easily find a lot of chains, small earrings, the back of an earring with the old low frequency coil. The HF coil is much more sensitive to gold. The gold range changes as the frequency increases. Therefore, it is much more difficult to learn typical values, coins. In a very trashy place, it is more difficult to select the gold range.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
It is interesting how few use Deus in freshwater in the US. Here in Europe, this machine is popular among water hunters. I really like to use the HF scroll for jewelry hunting in the lakes. But I know several hunters who can easily find a lot of chains, small earrings, the back of an earring with the old low frequency coil. The HF coil is much more sensitive to gold. The gold range changes as the frequency increases. Therefore, it is much more difficult to learn typical values, coins. In a very trashy place, it is more difficult to select the gold range.

I use my Orx only for water and wet sand. The way it hits on pull tabs and gold rings is awesome. My AT pro doesn’t bang on rings like that.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have used all the coils in water, ocean and parks fields. As far as fresh water goes,the 9”Fl and 9” Hf work fine. I use 17 kHz. I also use Gary blackwells hot program in the water. Found quite a bit. YouTube- Metal Detecting with CZKidd. One problem I have encountered often is the LF coils disconnect” no coil”, even though the antennae is out of the water and RC floating about my neck. The coil that gives me the least issue in the water is the 9” Hf. It does not disconnect. Don’t use the elliptical in the water. Take to long to search. It’s nice, but to small

Last edited:
OP
OP
timmysys

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Build an antenna like the one I showed in this post. You will no longer have a disconnection problem. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/636747-fresh-water-lake-hunts.html#post6583501

A friend of mine loves the HF elliptical coil in the water and with very good results on the very dense garbage beaches, but only in fresh water. ???

Very interesting video! May it help eliminate the ground noise in water to hear the small low conductors. I am curious how will works in water hunting with it. Silencer and reactivity how helps.

Last edited:

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You will not have ground noise in the water unless you are running the coil very hot. Don’t really have to. Most jewelry drops are sitting on the surface bed. I have found small earrings with either coil. LF at 17 and round at 31khz. Trashy bottom running react at 2-4. Silencer, wide open, -1. Don’t have a lot of iron to contend with in the lakes. Go luck!

OP
OP
timmysys

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
You will not have ground noise in the water unless you are running the coil very hot. Don’t really have to. Most jewelry drops are sitting on the surface bed. I have found small earrings with either coil. LF at 17 and round at 31khz. Trashy bottom running react at 2-4. Silencer, wide open, -1. Don’t have a lot of iron to contend with in the lakes. Go luck!
Here some lake have bad clay/mud on bottom, filled with vulcanic sparks and a tons of tiny irons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread