Gold in an unusual place.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through old stuff to put in a garage sale and came across this golden oldie. My dad had this since the late 50's at the latest, could be earlier. Gift from a supplier to our grocery store I believe. I have seen them selling used for $400. Notice that this one still has the plastic wrap on the cork, the original tag, the original sheepskin lined leather case, and beautiful flawless gold plating. Not a scratch or mark anywhere. I doubt they made many of these. One of the last places I'd expect to find gold, and thought folks might find it of interest.
20220629_163721.jpg
20220629_163745.jpg 20220629_163811.jpg 20220629_163840.jpg 20220629_163847.jpg 20220629_163907.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once picked up at a yard-sale a bamboo fly rod for $5.00 made by Wright & McGill which is now Eagle Claw. It was labeled Water Seal and had an image of a 🦭 on it. I put it on eBay and it sold for over $400. Yours looks pretty special and potentially valuable, being in the wonderful condition it is.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through old stuff to put in a garage sale and came across this golden oldie. My dad had this since the late 50's at the latest, could be earlier. Gift from a supplier to our grocery store I believe. I have seen them selling used for $400. Notice that this one still has the plastic wrap on the cork, the original tag, the original sheepskin lined leather case, and beautiful flawless gold plating. Not a scratch or mark anywhere. I doubt they made many of these. One of the last places I'd expect to find gold, and thought folks might find it of interest.

It’s a long while since I’ve done any fishing, but that’s a beautiful rod.

I think it’s a little later than your recollection of its family history though. Fibreglass rods first appeared in the 1940s but St. Croix only began switching from bamboo in 1955. They had a major relaunch of new models in 1959 but the particular range that included the features of your model seemingly didn’t appear until 1963 according to the St. Croix website:

1963 Micro-Cell Foam-Filled Tubular Fiberglass: Readily recognizable by the 14K gold-plated guides, it was what was inside St. Croix Magna-Flex spinning, spin/cast and fly rods that truly set them apart. Filled with a urethane foam, flex strength was increased by more than 25% while impact resistance experienced at least a 50% gain, with little increase in weight. Each rod was packaged in a padded, steel rod-reinforced case for just $50.00.

I would think ~$300 would be a fair price for it now, even in that lovely condition, but could well exceed that on Fleabay if someone takes a fancy to it.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for looking and the comments. Has both a bait casting and fly casting handles. Definitely not a garage sale item. Auction or Craig's List maybe. Has no special meaning to me. Unlike this item, which was his first rifle. I take it with me to the range once in a while. Still a tack driver. Perfect backpack, small game rifle. Will probably go to great grandson one day.
Rifle 01.png
Rifle 02.png
Rifle 03.png
Rifle 04.png

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handles are for spin casting or spinning reels,could easily be used for bait casting too,but not for fly fishing Great combo travel rod!
I believe you are absolutely right. I think I must have been blinded by all that bling when I open the case. I should have known from my own Orvis travel rod. Fly rods end almost at the seat. Fortunately I didn't discover that by assembling them. Still flawless. Thanks for pointing that out. Would be a little embarrassing if I'd put that in a for sale ad.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you are absolutely right. I think I must have been blinded by all that bling when I open the case. I should have known from my own Orvis travel rod. Fly rods end almost at the seat. Fortunately I didn't discover that by assembling them. Still flawless. Thanks for pointing that out. Would be a little embarrassing if I'd put that in a for sale ad.
No biggie,I,ve fly fished for a long time,only reason I caught it!:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread