Gold, lies, & Video tape , What do you think?

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched all the segments of the TV program on Victorio Peak.
My knowledge of the Victorio Peak treasure is very limited. I know there are those on this forum that know a lot about the subject than myself.
So, what are your thoughts on the accuracy of the program?
I thought the video's of the people and the Peak its self were fascinating.
I found most of the statements of the searchers to be believable.
But the White Sand's Military administrator came across to me as a complete liar.
That was my impression.
The military brass said they wanted to lay the Victorio peak claims to rest. So they just shut the search down. Well, the best way to lay the claims to rest would have been would have been to let the searchers search till they ran out of money, interest, etc. I don't see how the search was interfering with the military. Maybe the military had another reason to shut the search down.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting and try to catch it when its on

As far as the military aspect goes, well I served and sometimes the decisions are legit while others are more of a show of power and others make NO sense at all.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched the first and second episode. Tough to catch and they arenā€™t available on demand with the exception of the first episode.

Iā€™ve been interested in the story since I somehow stumbled upon 100 Tons of Gold in my high school library. I should have kept that book LOL.

Thereā€™s so many parts to the story that are believable and also unbelievable. I think we will never know the truth. Most of the people involved in the original find are no longer alive and anyone from the military probably wonā€™t talk or care about it. Probably going to go unsolved.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is if it was ever actually there it is gone by now. Whether it was the military or those 2 men who claimed to "just walk right in" and find it all yet both claimed they didn't take any. Yeah right!! With today machinery someone could make quick work of digging the whole place out if given the opportunity

Crotalus Scutulatus

Mar 14, 2022
Desert
Detector(s) used
Anti Evil.
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it was there. Simply by what the Ancient ones carved on the mountain . Roger Snow told me that those bars have sat for such a long time that they will fuse together, not pure gold.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Noss's gold bars, described as looking like "pig iron", were 70% copper. Thus the dark oxidized patina. IMO, those bars originated at Santa Rita del Cobre and were hidden in the Caballos before Douthit and Noss recovered some of them.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My knowledge of the Victorio Peak treasure is very limited. I know there are those on this forum that know a lot about the subject than myself.
But the White Sand's Military administrator came across to me as a complete liar.
That was my impression.
The military brass said they wanted to lay the Victorio peak claims to rest. So they just shut the search down. Well, the best way to lay the claims to rest would have been would have been to let the searchers search till they ran out of money, interest, etc. I don't see how the search was interfering with the military. Maybe the military had another reason to shut the search down.
my knowledge is very deep. i do not claim to know it all but, i saw the peak in 73, so what, there is no proof to put in your hand being gold, that a vast amount was ever there. i think noss had even the military believing it. you should try to picture what size and amount of bars it was that noss said he saw. check for yourself. the peak is and was a very old volcano with tunnels and adits all around it. the few artifacts that the noss family have show me indian theft, pilfering and stashing but no gold bars. oh well, show us the gold but it is a great legend. autofull.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Binge-watched all 5 episodes in 2 nights šŸ“ŗ:headbang:

After watching the first episode I thought OK there's nothing new here, I've read about all this before etc but meeting the personalities of the "Peak team" and their struggles with the excavation itself made it interesting enought to continue watching. By the end of the 2nd episode I was "locked-in". The series is very-well produced with little-to-no repetition or recycling of information from one episode to the next like you see with long-running shows like Oak Island, and showed lots of content that I had not seen before. Definitely follow through to the very end of the last episode !

Aug 15, 2017
Lower Alabama, Wish I was in Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to watch the show. Back in 2012 I was eating lunch with a couple of my employees in Panama City, FL and one of them, who grew up in Rincon NM, started talking about Victorio Peak. I said you're going to tell us about Doc Noss's treasure. He seemed surprised about my response. I told him I'd been thinking about that since I was a kid. We plan on heading out there in the near future.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I canā€™t even find it on demand. Not sure what happened to the show.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the show but at times it was hard to follow with all the flash backs etc. Even if Doc was lying about a lot of it he is not the only one claiming to have seen alot of gold bars down there.. There seems to be a few other possible/partial openings that they attempted to use to get inside. At some point maybe they were other ways in and they either caved in or were caved in on purpose...

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my impression.
Another oak island show wise. The us gov ripped it off long ago and again screwed over its citizens.

GoldenAnt

Jul 9, 2023
I acquired a dore bar from a man closely associated with the search for the Victorio Peak trove not associated with the Noss family or claim. He got it from a claim he was working a short distance from the actual Victorio Peak location. He followed the premise that the bars from the Peak had been moved by the tribe using the connecting tunnels. I had a scrapping done using an XRP and the results were interesting. 59% silver/34% copper/6.38% zinc/.098% AU. Interesting because the legend also speaks of there being bars of gold and silver. See attached picture of the bar. Only a select elite were aware of this finding.
I would be interested in finding out ways to authenticate it for age or connection to Victorio Peak if anyone has suggestions.

Attachments

• Bar 1.jpg
    Bar 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 86
  • Bar 2.jpg
    Bar 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 80

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been meaning to watch it and will when time permits.

Question for those who watched it, was there actually any compelling, credible evidence of gold being there, such as actual pictures of gold?

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I acquired a dore bar from a man closely associated with the search for the Victorio Peak trove not associated with the Noss family or claim. He got it from a claim he was working a short distance from the actual Victorio Peak location. He followed the premise that the bars from the Peak had been moved by the tribe using the connecting tunnels. I had a scrapping done using an XRP and the results were interesting. 59% silver/34% copper/6.38% zinc/.098% AU. Interesting because the legend also speaks of there being bars of gold and silver. See attached picture of the bar. Only a select elite were aware of this finding.
I would be interested in finding out ways to authenticate it for age or connection to Victorio Peak if anyone has suggestions.
Wow thatā€™s really cool! Looks very crude which would lead me to believe that it is old. Would love to hear from some of the others on here.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like an amalgamation of four metals. 100% metal, no mineral impurities, no age patina. If the XRP "assay" is correct (just a scraping), it calcs out kinda like a bunch of Cu/Zn brazing rods melted down together with silver coins and a little gold.

Garypederson

Aug 4, 2020
Payson, Az, Avila beach, Ca, Naples, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug & Whites Spectra 3vi & Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am more curious about your ā€œfriendā€ who is working a nearby claim. Did he claim to have found your dore bar there. Did he say how many bars he had actually recovered so far. Did he do a scraping before you bought and shared same with you. My limited knowledge of dore bars is that they were a combination of gold and silver and made up near the mine for later refining. A couple years back i read a story of the ā€œbully bueno mineā€ in Arizonas Bradshaws, wherein the same story was iterated, ā€˜ā€œthe apaches created landslides and killed the miners every time they started taking gold out of the mineā€ . I researched and found the owner of the mine, who was given same by grandfather, and this gentleman was 85 and had never tried to find the mine. Set up meeting, drove to his home. He gave me a hand drawn map left to him. I drove up the following weekend, stayed the night in crown king, a mining town high up in the bradshaws. showed map to a couple old locals. Their only comment ā€œyou really donā€t want to go into that area aloneā€. Finally made my way to the area of the map. hiked and crawled thru much underbrush Up and down canyon after canyon. Almost gave up after 6 hours, then found the landslide. Got my hand axe and shovel and dug a slit wide enough for me to slide in on my back, which i did ā€œ ā€œthat in hindsight was lunacy to do soā€. Walked back in it maybe 150 feet using my iphone flashlight, then thought ā€œif this caves in, thats itā€. Drove back to phoenix, went down to bureau of mines, they gave me instructions on claiming (current owner said it was fine with him). Took my 4ā€x4ā€x4 ft stake and my detector and returned. Posted the stake , slid back in, turned on detector. NOT A SIGNAL OF ANY KIND! SO MUCH FOR APACHE STORIES. GARY

GoldenAnt

Jul 9, 2023
Am more curious about your ā€œfriendā€ who is working a nearby claim. Did he claim to have found your dore bar there. Did he say how many bars he had actually recovered so far. Did he do a scraping before you bought and shared same with you. My limited knowledge of dore bars is that they were a combination of gold and silver and made up near the mine for later refining. A couple years back i read a story of the ā€œbully bueno mineā€ in Arizonas Bradshaws, wherein the same story was iterated, ā€˜ā€œthe apaches created landslides and killed the miners every time they started taking gold out of the mineā€ . I researched and found the owner of the mine, who was given same by grandfather, and this gentleman was 85 and had never tried to find the mine. Set up meeting, drove to his home. He gave me a hand drawn map left to him. I drove up the following weekend, stayed the night in crown king, a mining town high up in the bradshaws. showed map to a couple old locals. Their only comment ā€œyou really donā€t want to go into that area aloneā€. Finally made my way to the area of the map. hiked and crawled thru much underbrush Up and down canyon after canyon. Almost gave up after 6 hours, then found the landslide. Got my hand axe and shovel and dug a slit wide enough for me to slide in on my back, which i did ā€œ ā€œthat in hindsight was lunacy to do soā€. Walked back in it maybe 150 feet using my iphone flashlight, then thought ā€œif this caves in, thats itā€. Drove back to phoenix, went down to bureau of mines, they gave me instructions on claiming (current owner said it was fine with him). Took my 4ā€x4ā€x4 ft stake and my detector and returned. Posted the stake , slid back in, turned on detector. NOT A SIGNAL OF ANY KIND! SO MUCH FOR APACHE STORIES. GARY
The man did claim to have found this bar in NM in the vicinity of Victorio Peak 20 years ago. He had said he had a similiar bar assayed in CO and it showed as gold and was confiscated under antiquities act. That I am spectical of. I actually drilled a small hole in this bar and had the shavings XRP which showed the results posted above. I wasn't convinced a scaping would be as accurate as shavings from the center of the bar. There were numerous bars he said came out of the cavern he was working. I did see pictures of the other bars which were similiar in look. All looked as if molded in sand molds. Very textured and what looked to me as having patina but I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but am curious about the origin and possible story behind the bar(s). He was involved in a law suit with the State of NM and had to forfeit his rights to the claim, as I understand it. Conspiracy theories abound!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your friend did not have a mining claim near Victorio Peak.

It's not possible to locate a mining claim in that area. It's been withdrawan from location since 1944. The last time there was a claim within five miles of Victorio Peak was 1976 when the Hambrillo Soapstone and Talc mine shut down operations and relinquished their claims. Those claims were grandfathered in when the White Sands proving grounds were established in 1944. That Talc mine was in operation from 1910 so it was exempt from the White Sands Withdrawal.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions