Gold of the Mountain lion

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
north of El Paso Texas before you reach Alamogordo in Negro ED Canyon in Sacramento Mts there are paintings done in black an white showing attack on pack train.Man on horse with what appears to be a shirt of mail also a mountain lion standing with his head facing east looking over his right shoulder. His eyes are painted so you can see where he is looking.The legend told to my great aunt Elsie adopted into the Mescalero Apache tribe.My family followed the directions in the legend an found the paintings.The directions are as follows.In Negro Ed canyon on the side of canyon above talus slide is a ledge running to the head of the canyon,following it you come to a place where there is a small tunnel that you can only go through on your knees when you are in the upper canyon there is well eroded in the canyon bottom about eighteen feet across. The paintings are half mile up canyon on left- side cat looking across to the right side.BE CAREFUL OF SNAKES AN PEYOTE CACTUS.

longshotman

Sep 29, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
several, Garrett, whites, gold-bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this interesting, I live not to far from Negro ED canyon, do have or are you interested in giving more info. on this story?
TX
Mike

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
A friend of mine, from Colo & I, went there and camped on a "saddle" above the canyon
Next day we dropped down and walked the canyon's lenght :tongue3:
We didn't see the drawings . etc
When I met "Blackfoot" a few days later, over in The Bradshaw Mnts, AZ.
I found out that we,
were in/followed the wrong branch of the Canyon :'(
Although,
I did see an interesting cave on the north rim of the canyon.. :thumbsup:
That's going to have to wait until My (Doc's & I) trip out there on this '08 trip!
Anybody up for the sight ?
I have found a MUCH! :icon_profileright: easier way to it, than hiking the canyon!

OP
OP
B

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
Re: Gold of the Mountain lion FOUND

e-mail from mike Ed,
I went down to the mouth a (notch) and found the horse and the other red colored drawings, but the red ones are so faded they are almost completely gone, Did you actually see the drawing of the lion head ? and if so was it with these drawings? I will send you some pictures I took of the site, I found a spot in the cliff face directly above where the red shirted man was standing abut two hundred yards, the small cave had a big hole dug in the bottom of it, and it had been dug recently, I also found a pair of glasses and a big knife there as well. either the someone else found and removed the treasure or maybe it is not at that site. Can you tell me anymore detail about the lion head? was it with the other pictures? or did you see it? I won't have time to send you the new oictures I took until thiws coming weekend.
thanks for all the help and I'll be waiting for your reply
Mike
Well i guess some people aren"t as honest as I am,because they have not contacted me to turn over my share.

Blackfoot
There was a treasure hunter e-mailed me that they were going to look for it this past spring,now the address has been turned off.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Blackfoot:
As you know, The Govt. took GOD out of the schools
Since then, they have stopped teaching honesty & good morals
Being an honest person, now days, is looked at, as being kind of a Weird O!!
I am GLAD! that I was educated back in the days before all of this happened

EARTHLING

Aug 17, 2008
DALLAS TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SHADOW x5.... GOLDTRAX... D.P. WADER.... NAUTILUS DMC II B
been through that area quite a bit... there is a rare book store here in dallas that may have info on it..... will check.... more later

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Earthling:
Say!
Since we both live in "TEJAS",
How 'bout a phone conference some time?
&
We can discuss about meeting and having a "go" at this?
(Blackfoot knows he's in for & gets a "share"!) :thumbsup:

Cptbil (& Bugs)
aka Cptbild

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Blackfoote"
Here's the "Face"
Just, enlarge the center, of the rock formation
Also, Note the "Vertical Lines" on rocks
That surround the "Face" (both sides)

Attachments

• nm 012.JPG
    nm 012.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,245

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Whatcha doin' on the N M forum Bomber? Don't you belong in Illinois? Trying to figger out our plans? O K, we'll help ya. Where do you want to detect in N M? I have a little info....... Goose-0...aka Goose on other forums.

Model T

Greenie
Feb 17, 2006
Ed, thanks for the information on Negro Ed, the person for whom the canyon was named. Very interesting that his cabin was located at the base of the trail that leads to table top. Even more interesting that your Aunt Elsie related the fact that he was known to spend gold nuggets and dust in Alamogordo. Model T

OP
OP
B

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
here are the pictures of the canyon slide where the gold is. also the drawingof the mounted man the first colored one with the red shirted man is the slope where the cave is located. the one showing all the rocks is in the north side of the canyon the black an white shows THe south canyon mouth from down by eds cabin.

Attachments

• img037.jpg
    img037.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • img037.jpg
    img037.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,023
  • img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 756
  • img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 811

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat...is this on BLM or National forest land? I'll be vacationing in the area in August. Besides metal detecting, I'm looking for a place away from people to do some dowsing. Where I live you just can't go out into public very easily, to give it a try. If you take a metal detector, some people are always watching...if you try to dowse without a metal detector...they will want to know what you're doing. :coffee2:

Shtrider728

Jan 23, 2009
Hey,Goose-O or anybody who has any tips on where to go detecting in New Mexico,I would appreciate it.
You are so right about moals and honesty,bill.
Iam so broke its not funny,but as soon as I get a little room on my credit card,I plan on joining the GPAA lifetime plan at 50 bucks a month.Just so I dont end up claim jumping.Cause I really want to go out and learn how to pan and detect....S

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLACKFOOT said:
National Forest land

Thanks BLACKFOOT! I don't have a 4WD or truck, just a car so I'm staying on good roads and am alone which means won't hike far away. National Forest land you need to be really careful if T'Hing. On vacations just try to find BLM land. If I was with some other people who know what thy are doing when on NF lands, that would be different. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions