Upvote 23

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rather than wallow in your ignorance I suggest you purchase a copy of Ammen's Book.

CW Ammen - Recovery And Refining Of Precious Metals

View attachment 2024111
There is defiantly some useful information in this book.

The focus of the thread is more in the area of fine values in rock and recovery there of after crushing. Not everyone will agree on a given method as there is a number of factors that comes to play here.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Where do you think the mercury vapor from the gold amalgam ended up once it was heated up in your furnace.
Same place the gas in your propane bottle you cut open ended up.
What small amount was in his amalgam ball didn't amount to much of anything and probably burned completely up in the furnace, I doubt it turned to vapor but again I'm not a scientist a can't say for sure...

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is defiantly some useful information in this book.

The focus of the thread is more in the area of fine values in rock and recovery there of after crushing. Not everyone will agree on a given method as there is a number of factors that comes to play here.
How would you go about recovery of the values, and can you elaborate on the # of factors he would deal with in his method of recovery....
Also the picture shown is of high grade ore not fine values there's a really big difference in the two beasts ...
Gt....

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How would you go about recovery of the values, and can you elaborate on the # of factors he would deal with in his method of recovery....
Also the picture shown is of high grade ore not fine values there's a really big difference in the two beasts ...
Gt....
I have pointed out some methods already in other posts and not everyone has the same type of issues. One has to make decisions.
There is a mixture of both high grade course values and high grade fine values. This is common not just in the OP area.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Same place the gas in your propane bottle you cut open ended up.
What small amount was in his amalgam ball didn't amount to much of anything and probably burned completely up in the furnace, I doubt it turned to vapor but again I'm not a scientist a can't say for sure...
Yea it sure was a waste of fuel, did you know that propane as it comes out of the earth has no smell, they add the stinky to alert the user of a leak.

LPG has replaced CFC's as the propellant used in aerosol cans.

Source.

Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) Propellant Liquefied petroleum gas is a blend of two flammable but non - toxic gases propane and butane and it is very convenient and super pressurized gas used in aerosol tins

====================​
Source.
Propane manufacturers usually add chemicals to the propane gas to smell like rotten eggs. The most common odorant used is Ethyl Mercaptan, and it is what makes propane smell.

If your propane tank or cylinder experiences leaks, you'll find it easy to detect. You will feel the smell of rotten eggs or rotten cabbage.

Last edited:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Gt....
I would have ball milled the ore, then recovered the visible gold then used cyanide to recover the nano gold.

Smelting works but not near as economical as using cyanide.

Ammen in his book covers the topic.

IMO the OP has not nearly recovered the full potential of his gold values.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South Fork, you have free milling gold do you not? I’m not sure what all this smelting business is about. Are you wanting to consolidate fine gold that is difficult for you to sell or recover? Basically turning “ugly gold” (as My dad calls some of my gold) into something you can handle? curious is all.
We have free milling gold and sulphides and micro gold from grinding and cleaning. all the smalls/pickers and micro gold will be smelted and poured into buttons .

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have ball milled the ore, then recovered the visible gold then used cyanide to recover the nano gold.

Even if you use cyanide you have to smelt.
Isn't that how you get values out of your activated charcoal also..
Am I missing something here ?
And one doesn't need to ball mill highgrade, simple hand crush mortar pestal gets it done running through a mill is silly..
Gt...

Last edited:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
We have free milling gold and sulphides and micro gold from grinding and cleaning. all the smalls/pickers and micro gold will be smelted and poured into buttons .

From what you've commented earlier I assume your only using Borax as your primary flux ingredient.

This alone will do nothing to covert the sulfides.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm a hobby miner I don't have a ball mill I use a mortar/pestle and a gold pan. Cyanide really you were upset about a little ball of mercury.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
From what you've commented earlier I assume your only using Borax as your primary flux ingredient.

What is he converting sulfides into I didn't see any sulfides in his pic,
Sulfides are trash anyways...

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a hobby miner I don't have a ball mill I use a mortar/pestle and a gold pan. Cyanide really you were upset about a little ball of mercury.
Just a idea here is to use a number of different screens and pan each screen out put and see what you get.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is he converting sulfides into I didn't see any sulfides in his pic,
Sulfides are trash anyways...
The use a a lens may tell some more.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And one doesn't need to ball mill highgrade, simple hand crush mortar pestal gets it done running through a mill is silly..
Gt...
Step it up by using a post hole driver and a rod / pipe and rod set up. Fairly inexpensive as well.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
And one doesn't need to ball mill highgrade, simple hand crush .ortar pestal gets it done running through a mill is silly..
Gt...
When you have visible gold smelting is not going to do a dam thing to purify the gold.

Gold as it comes from nature is never found in its pure form.

1. Activated carbon used to recover the gold from a cyanide leach.

2. Ion exchange resins composed of a polymeric matrix functionalized with a piperazine group are suitable for separating gold cyanide from aqueous medium containing gold cyanide complex.

3. Direct electrowinning of gold from dilute cyanide leach liquors.

4. The recovery of precious metals from dilute alkaline cyanide solution by zinc-dust cementation has been practiced since the late 19th century.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The iron sulphides are being ground and roasted and ground again. I not trying to convert the sulphides just release the free gold and it's working just fine.

Attachments

• P6140692.JPG
    P6140692.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 39

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When you have visible gold smelting is not going to do a dam thing to purify the gold.

Gold as it comes from nature is never found in its pure form.

1. Activated carbon used to recover the gold from a cyanide leach.

2. Ion exchange resins composed of a polymeric matrix functionalized with a piperazine group are suitable for separating gold cyanide from aqueous medium containing gold cyanide complex.

3. Direct electrowinning of gold from dilute cyanide leach liquors.

4. The recovery of precious metals from dilute alkaline cyanide solution by zinc-dust cementation has been practiced since the late 19th century.
You guys are way to smart for me I'm bailing on this conversation...
Gt...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread