Upvote 23

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little sample that was found with a metal detector. Crushed by hand then panned to wash away some of the dirt and clay? The photo is macro so real small particles, but the quartz shows and what looks like iron and free gold. I think we need a small smelter to retrieve the values trying to speed up the recovery what's your thoughts ?
SouthFork, remember those small pieces of specimen ore the size of a die are just as valuable as the larger sizes. You shouldn’t crush and melt those in my opinion. Melted gold is of unknown purity and subject to smelters buying price. The quartz with gold showing proud is something collectors pay a premium for. You can also mix a little bit in with premium pieces and stand firm on you price.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthFork, remember those small pieces of specimen ore the size of a die are just as valuable as the larger sizes. You shouldn’t crush and melt those in my opinion. Melted gold is of unknown purity and subject to smelters buying price. The quartz with gold showing proud is something collectors pay a premium for. You can also mix a little bit in with premium pieces and stand firm on you price.
The price really goes down quickly once it’s melted in my opinion.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the specimens will be crushed or melted.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Me too this what I'm crushing it's not magnetic at least what's left still looks like tiny specks of gold in some of the particles of black sand. I wish i had a wheelbarrow full of this. Maybe a little silver or platinum ?
Dissolve a small sample in aqua regia then test with stannous chloride.

Au-Pt-Pd-Stannous.jpg

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My morning crush a little rusty chunk of ore. Just the pickers weighed 6 grams but loaded with host rock there's a lot of gold. This is going in the smelt jar.

Attachments

• P5180718.JPG
    P5180718.JPG
    877.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P5180725.JPG
    P5180725.JPG
    797.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P5180727.JPG
    P5180727.JPG
    553 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The crushed and dried sample weighed 13 grams after smelting it weighed 6.5 grams. Waiting on a cone mold I just water dropped the slag and weighed the precious metal / gold needs a little more refinement maybe with a collector metal. Learning as we go, I wonder how much gold per ton of this rich ore ?

Attachments

• P5200730.JPG
    P5200730.JPG
    581.3 KB · Views: 31

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The crushed and dried sample weighed 13 grams after smelting it weighed 6.5 grams. Waiting on a cone mold I just water dropped the slag and weighed the precious metal / gold needs a little more refinement maybe with a collector metal. Learning as we go, I wonder how much gold per ton of this rich ore ?
From what I gather your son is randomly picking from a pocket of high grade inside the old mine with some pickers from the tailings.

If the miners were tossing out nuggets to tailings, then I would have an assay done on the heap pile, leaving the nuggets out as this would be considered salting.

And you would'nt want to end up like that geologist from Brey-X who fell out of a helicopter.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d love to send you a free gift!!! Just send me your address and location of the pile.... lol

Killer results. Congrats.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I gather your son is randomly picking from a pocket of high grade inside the old mine with some pickers from the tailings.

If the miners were tossing out nuggets to tailings, then I would have an assay done on the heap pile, leaving the nuggets out as this would be considered salting.

And you would'nt want to end up like that geologist from Brey-X who fell out of a helicopter.
No, he's putting in the hour's randomly finding ore specimens on various mine tailings.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed,the whole thread is kind of weird. Private property means little to many.You live there 24/7/365?
Yes I live here 24/7. Here in California a few hundred bucks for a long day working in the hot sun is not a lot of money. My son is making wages and having fun. And I worked on this sample a few hours for fun and thought other like minded people would enjoy following along .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread