Gold Ore

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little sample that was found with a metal detector. Crushed by hand then panned to wash away some of the dirt and clay? The photo is macro so real small particles, but the quartz shows and what looks like iron and free gold. I think we need a small smelter to retrieve the values trying to speed up the recovery what's your thoughts ?

Attachments

• P4210546.JPG
    P4210546.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 645
Upvote 23

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breaking rocks is hard work the dust seems to hang longer in the hot weather. But the hidden rewards start to add up after a while. This sure has been a learning curve on the smelting end of prospecting. Not anything I would want to do full time but gets me out of the house. I carry a bucket on the quad for float samples when checking the livestock.

Attachments

• P7141065.JPG
    P7141065.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning gold vein material loaded with finely disseminated / free gold dirty oxidized ore to start with. But after a few days soaking in Whink it's starting to look nice. I going to let this soak in some fresh solution then pick out some small specimens I'll try and make a button with the rest. 65 grams dirty all found with metal detector. I forgot to say that I cleaned the samples with Muriatic Acid first then rinsed.

Attachments

• P7251072.JPG
    P7251072.JPG
    629.2 KB · Views: 46
  • P7251069.JPG
    P7251069.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • P7251075.JPG
    P7251075.JPG
    526.6 KB · Views: 49
  • P7251076.JPG
    P7251076.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A week's soak in whink the difference in color is sure apparent. 38 grams of dirty gold started at about 41 grams. I wish it would cool off so my son could dig on this waste pile lol.

Attachments

• P8161133.JPG
    P8161133.JPG
    665.4 KB · Views: 44

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our claim is registered as a Placer, so we can't use explosives. Probably can get away with an electric hammer drill/chisel, or whatever they're called.
doesn't matter what your claim is "registered" as. It's a claim the legalities of blasting have nothing to do with it being placer or lode.

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
southfork, just amazing. Hope you hit a good pay streak.

I still look at where the old timer hard rock miners dug. Still can't figure out just what they looked for, other than white quartz, that told them there was gold there. I've picked up their discards, and it is all white with occasional dark or dirty looking streaks. I would love to dig up just one rock that has a smidgen of gold stuck on it. I'll keep looking. Maybe someday I'll get lucky finding one.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather cooled and smoke cleared from a nearby wildfire, so Seth was swinging the Nox. The detector has been going off on some dark brown to black mineral on the waste pile. He crushed a little with mortar and pestle no visible gold to start but hidden inside some free gold. Just a pinch but finding enough to keep the dream alive.

Attachments

• P9141159.JPG
    P9141159.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P9141161.JPG
    P9141161.JPG
    718.2 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crushed a little more of Wednesdays samples needs smelting will be added to the melt jar. My son and a friend went out to another old mine for a few hours today and found a few pieces with gold using metal detectors. Smoke was really bad today wind and rain on the way this week:icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• P9161166.JPG
    P9161166.JPG
    642.6 KB · Views: 26

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Truly amazing what you find, I hope the rain clears up the smoke, and cools things for you.

A question to you, the expert. The placer gold at our claim seems to be petering out, until I can get lucky to find another sweet spot. I consider a sweet spot that produces 1/10th gram per outing. So I need to try something else. There are at least a dozen hard rock digs on our claim, a couple being vertical shafts. So those are out, but there's piles of discards lying next to these hard rock mines.

The question, is, is it worthwhile to dig into these discards. My problem is recognizing a rock that would have fine gold in it. My Bounty Hunter Time Ranger can detect gold, but has difficulty with a piece .15 grams within less than an inch from the 4 inch coil. So scanning big rocks is going to be a problem. Is it worthwhile to dig and classify the smaller stuff, in the hope my dry washer could ferret out some gold. Or did these old time prospectors get all the gold?

It's just discouraging to work for four hours, and get 1/100th of a gram, or of I'm lucky, maybe 3/100ths. Anyway, the piles I mentioned, seem not to have been disturbed for quite a long time, except when a detectorists gets a beep. But they are only scanning the surface of a 6-10 foot deep pile, next to a couple of these mines.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly amazing what you find, I hope the rain clears up the smoke, and cools things for you.

A question to you, the expert. The placer gold at our claim seems to be petering out, until I can get lucky to find another sweet spot. I consider a sweet spot that produces 1/10th gram per outing. So I need to try something else. There are at least a dozen hard rock digs on our claim, a couple being vertical shafts. So those are out, but there's piles of discards lying next to these hard rock mines.

The question, is, is it worthwhile to dig into these discards. My problem is recognizing a rock that would have fine gold in it. My Bounty Hunter Time Ranger can detect gold, but has difficulty with a piece .15 grams within less than an inch from the 4 inch coil. So scanning big rocks is going to be a problem. Is it worthwhile to dig and classify the smaller stuff, in the hope my dry washer could ferret out some gold. Or did these old time prospectors get all the gold?

It's just discouraging to work for four hours, and get 1/100th of a gram, or of I'm lucky, maybe 3/100ths. Anyway, the piles I mentioned, seem not to have been disturbed for quite a long time, except when a detectorists gets a beep. But they are only scanning the surface of a 6-10 foot deep pile, next to a couple of these mines.
I'm not an expert but lucky to have family and friends with the gold fever. They have been hauling samples in backpacks so I can crush the samples some make the detectors sing but most contain micro gold that the detectors won't pick up. What's needed is a way to crush the samples to powder so they can be panned. A lot of these old mine dumps contain enough gold for small scale miners to have fun. Like the old-timers said gold rides an iron horse rusty crusty quartz is one of our favorites but there's a lot of other rocks that carry gold I have learned. My son has been digging down through these waste piles a few inches at a time. Working the detectors real slow checking the larger pieces all around practice makes perfect and a good gold machine is a good investment. Did they get all the gold I like to say they got the easy gold if there's such a thing. My son and his friends detect all the ground from the bottom of the ravines to the ridge tops and find a lot of gold.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son Seth has been moving rocks on our property and swinging the detectors. The gold has a higher purity in these seasonal drainages but was hit hard by the Oldtimers. But they didn't get it all a little after work evening prospecting.

Attachments

• P9231171.JPG
    P9231171.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 28
  • P9231174.JPG
    P9231174.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and me worked on clearing a quad path to an old mine yesterday looks promising. Seth's out there now with the detectors getting me some samples. It's a lot easier carrying rocks on the quads than on your back a little more clearing and I can ride to the river:headbang::hello2::occasion14: It's been years since I've been able to reach this rich area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread