Gold Ore

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little sample that was found with a metal detector. Crushed by hand then panned to wash away some of the dirt and clay? The photo is macro so real small particles, but the quartz shows and what looks like iron and free gold. I think we need a small smelter to retrieve the values trying to speed up the recovery what's your thoughts ?

Attachments

• P4210546.JPG
    P4210546.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 646
Upvote 23
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• P9271203.JPG
    P9271203.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean up after the mill first screen 30 mesh lots of fines in the bucket. I will run the rest through the sluice and blue bowl. Gold rolls up into little balls pyrites turns to dust.

Attachments

• P9271210.JPG
    P9271210.JPG
    775.5 KB · Views: 44
  • P9271211.JPG
    P9271211.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 32

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Breaking rocks is hard work the dust seems to hang longer in the hot weather. But the hidden rewards start to add up after a while. This sure has been a learning curve on the smelting end of prospecting. Not anything I would want to do full time but gets me out of the house. I carry a bucket on the quad for float samples when checking the livestock.
That's a beautiful set of gold buttons! Could you give me a run down of the smelting learning curve in case I do actually find gold? All I have now is an electric assay furnace. Holds about 3 crucibles and takes a good 2 hours to get up to temperature. Got my hopes up found an old stope high up on a vein and am hoping the gold that was up in the vein went down as well. Going to sample the floor of the stope when I get a break.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful set of gold buttons! Could you give me a run down of the smelting learning curve in case I do actually find gold? All I have now is an electric assay furnace. Holds about 3 crucibles and takes a good 2 hours to get up to temperature. Got my hopes up found an old stope high up on a vein and am hoping the gold that was up in the vein went down as well. Going to sample the floor of the stope when I get a break.
I watched a lot of videos on processing gold ore you need a good flux recipe.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to see if I can clear up the photos any for you.

Attachments

• P4210546-gold.JPG
    P4210546-gold.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • P9271210-gold2.JPG
    P9271210-gold2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • P9271211-gold3.JPG
    P9271211-gold3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the host rock is but super hard my son single jacked the 2 pound sample . Then ran it through the chain mill classified the material and panned recovered around 7 grams. I took all the material that passed through a number 30 screen and sluiced it over a ribbed mat and the concentrates are now in the blue bowl. Ran out of daylight last night so I'll finish cleanup this morning easy couple of grams. This is the other side of the rock with a loupe there's micro free gold all over it. The photo doesn't show the blue green color very well, but it reminds me of mariposite

Attachments

• P9271202.JPG
    P9271202.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 33

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh well use better macro (like you said before).

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just panned the blue bowl concentrates and wow the fines are loaded with gold. I had to resort to bad boy mercury to pick up the fine free gold and might use acid to clean the rest. There's still a lot of dirty gold in the concentrates nothing gets tossed around here until I run it several times.

Attachments

• P9281217.JPG
    P9281217.JPG
    640.2 KB · Views: 27
  • P9281229.JPG
    P9281229.JPG
    569.9 KB · Views: 29
  • P9281227.JPG
    P9281227.JPG
    871.4 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good!
And using recycled mercury it's piling up nice almost time to clean up. Wish I had a jaw crusher just to make it a little easier it's a long day when my son brings home a sack of rocks. We need to make them small enough, so the chain mill doesn't jam once in a while a flat piece will flip up and jam in the feed tube. My primary mill is a sledgehammer some brake parts a wheelbarrow tub to catch the pieces high tech mining.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the host rock is but super hard my son single jacked the 2 pound sample . Then ran it through the chain mill classified the material and panned recovered around 7 grams. I took all the material that passed through a number 30 screen and sluiced it over a ribbed mat and the concentrates are now in the blue bowl. Ran out of daylight last night so I'll finish cleanup this morning easy couple of grams. This is the other side of the rock with a loupe there's micro free gold all over it. The photo doesn't show the blue green color very well, but it reminds me of mariposite
locally we have a hard red quartzite will have lots of sulfides and quartz stringers. we have a hard Granodiorite too.
contacts with ther serpentine were hot.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
locally we have a hard red quartzite will have lots of sulfides and quartz stringers. we have a hard Granodiorite too.
contacts with ther serpentine were hot.
No serpentine over here but big bands of mariposa slate Have you roasted any of the sulfides? I think we have big dikes? of Granodiorite

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No serpentine over here but big bands of mariposa slate Have you roasted any of the sulfides? I think we have big dikes? of Granodiorite
nope never bothered. But, mines around us had gold in the pounds per ton of sulphides. On my claims north of you guys the placer cons are full of them huge oxidized pyrite cubes and lumps of hematite.
Not sure where your property is exactly but, if you have a large amount of Digger pines and lack of Ponderosa chances are there is serpentine underlying the area. Or weathered into the lateritic soil ( red dirt with broken quartz) you are right in the area where it can be there either exposed or a little deeper.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope never bothered. But, mines around us had gold in the pounds per ton of sulphides. On my claims north of you guys the placer cons are full of them huge oxidized pyrite cubes and lumps of hematite.
Not sure where your property is exactly but, if you have a large amount of Digger pines and lack of Ponderosa chances are there is serpentine underlying the area. Or weathered into the lateritic soil ( red dirt with broken quartz) you are right in the area where it can be there either exposed or a little deeper.
We have red dirt with plenty of quartz Oaks grey pine and ponderosa at one time big burn. There's a lot of serpentine a short drive away.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One dirty specimen rock with gold along the edge and dirty placer gold in hand and tailgate. All from the drainage near the new old mines today. A little rock and mud in the mix along with the gold. The last person or persons that prospected that drainage left foil from there smokes everywhere enough to drive you insane lol.

Attachments

• PA011239.JPG
    PA011239.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 27
  • PA011238.JPG
    PA011238.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 27
  • PA011237.JPG
    PA011237.JPG
    850.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One dirty specimen rock with gold along the edge and dirty placer gold in hand and tailgate. All from the drainage near the new old mines today. A little rock and mud in the mix along with the gold. The last person or persons that prospected that drainage left foil from there smokes everywhere enough to drive you insane lol.
Yeah, the manmade things drive me crazy too. Now,,,. if it's a coin or relic from the past, that's OK. But just dumping your trash into the environment is a no-no. I found a triangular piece of metal today on our claim. Probably from an old bucket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple photos of yesterday's small rock samples we crushed and panned. Well worth the effort to haul up to the house to crush lots of gold wrapped around quartz and other rock. Needs to be smelted to clean up and get a nice bright button. The blue pan is one small ore sample the black pan is dirty gold from a pound of random rocks from a dump. The ore sample in the blue pan was a strong signal with the detectors. The rock samples we crushed in the black pan were silent before the crush but make plenty of noise now.

Attachments

• PA021254.JPG
    PA021254.JPG
    650.7 KB · Views: 27
  • PA021256.JPG
    PA021256.JPG
    846.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread