Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold pan. They manufacture metal ones, it was the norm years ago. Then came plastic pans. Lighter, rust proof...
Today we have pans.. that don't look like pans!
The Gold claw.
gold claw.jpg

The EZ pan. I hear this one works.
EZ pan.jpg

The Banjo pan.
banjo pan.jpg

The turbo pan.
turbo pan.jpg

The Gold grabber.
gold grabber.gif

The Le trap.
le trap.gif

The hex pan.
hex pan.gif

Piont is, I won a contest. Included was the new Garret Gravity sluice pan.. I like that pan!
But this one is like atta round.... An Offset, Acentric Design Delivers Improved Performance!
garret.jpg

So I have the big ass super sluice pan, now they made it f'in crooked! WTF?

Upvote 0

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Actually, Garrett's new acentric design was predated by a few years by this pan made by Evco Plastics...The smooth "long" side actually has a series of fine concentric lines which aid in catching the finest of gold. A great pan, by the way. IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0322.JPG

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how you but them in order from dumbest at the top to useful at the bottom.:laughing7:

One thing I've noticed over the years.

The more you pay for a pan. The crappier it gets.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how you but them in order from dumbest at the top to useful at the bottom.:laughing7:

One thing I've noticed over the years.

The more you pay for a pan. The crappier it gets.

Thanks bro. I did not intend that! Actually I missed a few "pans"
The "burlap".. .. is best...seasoned with fish oil....

laughing11.gif

laughing021.gif

smiley-laughing025.gif

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easy pan is my favorite pan to use when you can only pan or want to sample areas in a hurry. It catches everything and takes about 15 seconds to do a whole pan.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except the Flow Pan! But that's more a sluice concentrator than a pan.

I can process more material with a classifier and pan.

So, its been a no way for me. Started with the hog pan. Tried it hated it.

That made it even more "too expensive" for me

Sorry, Doc. Gold Hog is still rocks otherwise :headbang:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easy pan is my favorite pan to use when you can only pan or want to sample areas in a hurry. It catches everything and takes about 15

Seconds to do a whole pan.

got two so I could send one to Delnorter.

I do llike how fast it is. That Back wards slope is cool nothing is getting past it.

Until I did want to finish down. The opposite saide wasn't shallow enough.

Then it got all kinds of wonky. Tryin to swirl.

I'm sure with more practice I would have came up with a technique.

But its just easier to go back to the Green Monster.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The gold claw is interesting. Has anyone actually tried one?

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where is the garbage can lid? :-)

I did not have a pan last year, and while this was just for sampling, I used a garbage can lid for one of those smaller garbage cans. It works, but I would not use it to get any gold, but just to test the streams it worked okay.

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old gold pan works pretty darn good!
My go to pan is this cheapie 14". I have somewhere around 8 different pans and this is the only one that goes with me everywhere. Well I actually carry 2 pans. Black cheap 14" and a big 17" proline for bigger test pan samples.
Funny thing is, I probably would not have bought the 14" but I found it years ago way above treeline and it has stuck with me ever since! It does its job well!

https://amzn.to/2Jwmd97

Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
I still like my Hog Pan and it has gotten a lot of gold for me. I find it faster than a classifier and pan although I still have to put the Hog Pan concentrates in a regular pan for final panning.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am of the belief that rocker boxes are an evolution of gold pans, though sluice like in appearance its concentrating action is closer in function to a pan.

Rick-SAR

May 26, 2011
Been using my Gold Claw both wet and dry. I like to go sampling up a dry creek (i live in AZ) and use the Gold Claw to dry pan hot spots - no need to blow concentrate. Wet it works great also. The commercials is right on saying it takes only 30 sec to pan 1/2 shovel full. New one has just been announced that can pan a 5 gal bucket in 45 sec. - same design only bigger. You don' have to classify before you pan. They also make a 9" mini they call a pocket pan - because you can carry it in a pocket that also works both wet and dry.

Been prospecting for over 65 years and still have my old medal pan. I don't take any pan except the Gold Claw now that I have one.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using my Gold Claw both wet and dry. New one has just been announced that can pan a 5 gal bucket in 45 sec. - same design only bigger.

Sounds very painful ! At that speed even if its true that pan would be way too heavy for me.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the garrett pans. I have to agree with the OP when I seen the new garrett pans I thought why. I guess if I ever need another pan I would try one but would rather not.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds very painful ! At that speed even if its true that pan would be way too heavy for me.

Heavy, maybe not but still backbreaking. The only saving grace for the extra weight is that the pan is worked while being held under water. Archimedes principle comes into play and the weight of the pan and it's contents reduces by the equivalent weight of the water displaced when submerged. Water weighs a little more than eight pounds per gallon. A gallon of regular beach sand weighs somewhere around thirteen pounds per gallon but when suspended under water in a gold pan it would weigh about five pounds....Just a little science lesson for ya'll.:laughing7:

Rick-SAR

May 26, 2011
For me also. I have a hard enough time picking up 5 gal buckets at my age (81). The standard Gold Claw is about right for the output of my puffer and drop trap. So I have not reason to buy the bigger one.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first gold pan was the top part of a Boy Scout mess kit. Only about 8" in diameter, and the sides sloped up at a much sharper angle...but it worked great!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first gold pan was the top part of a Boy Scout mess kit. Only about 8" in diameter, and the sides sloped up at a much sharper angle...but it worked great!

...and it didn’t cost 40 bucks (for a piece of plastic!) like a Goldclaw!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread