OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold...!!!! I use muriatic acid to clean my gold and sometimes use Whink. Muriatic really tackles the rust. A gallon at Ace Hardware is pretty cheap ($7-8) and goes a long ways. Be careful with the stuff, use it outdoors preferably with a breeze. A wiff of this stuff will knock you on your a$$.... Wise to nuetralize when done but I never do, just rinse real good with water.
Thanks' some of the locals use muriatic also I have a couple pieces soaking in it as we speak. My son's afraid I'll ruin it so I'm only allotted a couple at a time lol .

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold...!!!! I use muriatic acid to clean my gold and sometimes use Whink. Muriatic really tackles the rust. A gallon at Ace Hardware is pretty cheap ($7-8) and goes a long ways. Be careful with the stuff, use it outdoors preferably with a breeze. A wiff of this stuff will knock you on your a$$.... Wise to nuetralize when done but I never do, just rinse real good with water.
Does the muriatic acid turn the quartz chalky white? I’ve heard a ultra sonic cleaner makes all the difference.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been sorting specimen pieces all these have gold on both sides will be beautiful after cleaning. If I can get permission lol.

Attachments

• P3200382.JPG
    P3200382.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 42

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
coolest part is its literally in your back yard. Ive seen some properties for sale and thought to myself, theres enough gold on that property to pay for it.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the muriatic acid turn the quartz chalky white? I’ve heard a ultra sonic cleaner makes all the difference.
To be honest with you, I usually soak my nuggies for just a couple hrs or maybe overnight to remove rust and maybe some host dirt. If I want to lighten up some quarts I seem to gravitate towards the Whink but once again, I'm too impatient to soak with either muriatic or the hydroflouric (whink) for more than a few days so I'm not the one to really comment ? I do "think" the muriatic will not dissolve the quartz but the Hydroflouric will over time????
Here's a Montana nugg that I soaked for 5-6 days with both Hydro and muriatic seperatley and could not get what I thought was quartz host to lighten up...not one bit? Have no idea what the host rock is and don't really care but I did try and lighten it up with no success what so ever..... This is the only one I've soaked for any real length of time.....

Attachments

• goldy4.JPG
    goldy4.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 52

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest with you, I usually soak my nuggies for just a couple hrs or maybe overnight to remove rust and maybe some host dirt. If I want to lighten up some quarts I seem to gravitate towards the Whink but once again, I'm too impatient to soak with either muriatic or the hydroflouric (whink) for more than a few days so I'm not the one to really comment ? I do "think" the muriatic will not dissolve the quartz but the Hydroflouric will over time????
Here's a Montana nugg that I soaked for 5-6 days with both Hydro and muriatic seperatley and could not get what I thought was quartz host to lighten up...not one bit? Have no idea what the host rock is and don't really care but I did try and lighten it up with no success what so ever..... This is the only one I've soaked for any real length of time.....
That’s a nice one, I like it just as it is. A friend had access to medical grade ultra sonic cleaner and it does wonders with just warm dish water.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a nice one, I like it just as it is. A friend had access to medical grade ultra sonic cleaner and it does wonders with just warm dish water.
sorry for the semi hijack. Talk of cleaning prompted me to start a Whink soak last night of the Montana nugg above and we'll see what happens in a week.... I'll keep you guys posted. It'll be another 30-40 days before I can get back out in the brush to start next season...snow.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry for the semi hijack. Talk of cleaning prompted me to start a Whink soak last night of the Montana nugg above and we'll see what happens in a week.... I'll keep you guys posted. It'll be another 30-40 days before I can get back out in the brush to start next season...snow.
No hijack I asked what was used to clean gold thanks for the post. I just started a Whink soak myself all night in phosphoric acid water rinse. Wow gold showing already this one is a slug - weight and a photo shoot when finished cleaning.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hijack I asked what was used to clean gold thanks for the post. I just started a Whink soak myself all night in phosphoric acid water rinse. Wow gold showing already this one is a slug - weight and a photo shoot when finished cleaning.
I’m half tempted to buy the Hornady case ultra sonic cleaner.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the phosphoric acid rinse?

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
I missed this thread. Great finds! Awesome. 👍

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owen hit the nail on the head.
AMAZING!!!

You guys are living out what most of us only dream about.
Congrats & may the dump be full!!!!
The funny part of this is my son is a relic hunter and just started targeting Gold. His last couple of road trips to Nevada were successful but this one is in our backyard.

davidbird42

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...I would love to find even a single piece. LOL Great job!

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This bunch I soaked overnight in Whink all day in muriatic the first photo is after the Whink. All day in muriatic cleaned a lot of the red out. I rinsed in clear water three times let it dry not weighed yet. Sure, looks rich I guess we should test a little. Before we bring in the heavy equipment lol.

Attachments

• P3230422.JPG
    P3230422.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 42
  • P3240427.JPG
    P3240427.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread