P3190348.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 31

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update my son is still finding bits and pieces when he can get out. I have two threads on the same gold, but one is with me trying different methods to extract / recover values. Gold Ore thread not sure if it's going well, I'll keep trying for a while.
I’ll stop with the unrelated back and forth. End it with a joke for ya.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my son's finds on mine waste pile 5.5grams. Photo on the left is after a week-long soak in Whink. Photo on the right same nugget after 1 hour in Clorox.

Attachments

• P5040613.JPG
    P5040613.JPG
    520.2 KB · Views: 42
  • P5040620.JPG
    P5040620.JPG
    515.4 KB · Views: 43

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my son's finds on mine waste pile 5.5grams. Photo on the left is after a week-long soak in Whink. Photo on the right same nugget after 1 hour in Clorox.
The Clorox soak was after soaking in whink? It appears to have darkened the host rock? What made you want to soak in bleach? I’ve not heard of doing this.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Clorox soak was after soaking in whink? It appears to have darkened the host rock? What made you want to soak in bleach? I’ve not heard of doing this.
First pic covered in white / Second pic most of the white chalky matrix gone. Just an experiment your results my vary I like the way it turned out.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful!
Chlorine (bleach) is a Halogen and will dissolve your gold. :crybaby2:

Heavy Pans
I t takes a long time to dissolve pure gold by itself One hour soak. No change in weight even if it precipitates and goes into liquid solution, I think I read where it can be chemically made to drop?

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a thought....maybe use an ultrasonic cleaner. Might work to brighten gold after "whink" soak or maybe clean well enough to eliminate that step. For a test, a local jewelry store may do it for free.

Heavy pans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought....maybe use an ultrasonic cleaner. Should work to brighten gold after "whink" soak or maybe clean well enough to eliminate that step. Local jewelry store may do it for free.

Heavy pans.
I was thinking about another wink soak to see if the white comes back. The Whink sure brightens the gold.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought....maybe use an ultrasonic cleaner. Might work to brighten gold after "whink" soak or maybe clean well enough to eliminate that step. For a test, a local jewelry store may do it for free.

Heavy pans.
The ultra sonic cleaner does wonders, especially to get the rust stains out of the cracks in the quartz. However, it has to be almost an industrial ultra sonic cleaner like a dentist office/medical field would use before you start to see dramatic results. I’m half tempted to buy the Hornady ultra sonic case cleaner just as a test to see if it will work on specimen gold..if not I’ve got a use for it..the el cheapo ones are a waste of $$

EDIT: I wouldn’t use Whink in an ultra sonic cleaner!

Last edited:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SF, if you like how the Whink brightens the gold…you can get similar results with gold jewelry cleaner and it’s a heck of a lot safer. It will brighten the gold for awhile, then the impurities will tarnish eventually. I think you can put this stuff in an ultra sonic cleaner and get pretty decent results on a piece you are not trying to dissolve host rock from. Great for presentation…if you have a piece with nice quartz matrix and plenty of gold showing, the ultra sonic cleaner preserves the natural look of the quartz. Your host rock looks like calcium or limestone..I’m not sure.
5ABDCD58-A0D3-4957-96CC-175AD09D524A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I t takes a long time to dissolve pure gold by itself One hour soak. No change in weight even if it precipitates and goes into liquid solution, I think I read where it can be chemically made to drop?
While I'm still actively cleaning gold, I found this information on bleach. Gold is an almost non-reactive metal, but halogens — chlorine, bromine, fluorine and iodine — can dissolve it. Chlorine is the cheapest and lightest product that can achieve this. Bleach is the chemical compound sodium hypochlorite. When combined with hydrochloric acid, the mixture produces chlorine that dissolves gold from gold ore. This was the first commercial method used for gold extraction. When combined with hydrochloric acid I was only using bleach by itself.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Um... sodium hypochlorite is chlorine. You don't need hydrochloric acid to create chlorine from sodium hypochlorite.

All the halogens will dissolve gold all on their own. Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine all dissolve gold and they have all been used at different times to extract gold from ore. These days cyanide is preferred in most situations because it's cheaper, less toxic and easier to recover.

I seriously doubt that a few hours in household chlorine bleach (about 6% chlorine) is going to do any serious damage to your nugget. Leave it in there for a few weeks and you will have a portion of your gold in solution as gold chloride.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got invited on that trip but, I homeschool my girls and couldn't go. Schools not out until the 25th. I showed Ole how to use Muriatic and whink. your doing just fine. The gold in our area sheds because there can be quite a bit in the host rock contact. I use denal picks and a large drywall screw to help pick the quartz out of the gold crystal structure. not sure if you are but, use a multimeter and you can check for continuity on pieces to see what is cnnected and what isn't within the pieces. if it is mainly gold and your cleaning matrix off long soaks in muriatic seem to work best. I also have a battery powered water pick for teeth it has a little resevoir works pretty good blasting stuuf off of and out of the little nooks and crannies. Not too powerful. as you've probably learned do everything over a tub.

I have a few threads here showing specimins I cleaned up for selling.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got invited on that trip but, I homeschool my girls and couldn't go. Schools not out until the 25th. I showed Ole how to use Muriatic and whink. your doing just fine. The gold in our area sheds because there can be quite a bit in the host rock contact. I use denal picks and a large drywall screw to help pick the quartz out of the gold crystal structure. not sure if you are but, use a multimeter and you can check for continuity on pieces to see what is cnnected and what isn't within the pieces. if it is mainly gold and your cleaning matrix off long soaks in muriatic seem to work best. I also have a battery powered water pick for teeth it has a little resevoir works pretty good blasting stuuf off of and out of the little nooks and crannies. Not too powerful. as you've probably learned do everything over a tub.

I have a few threads here showing specimins I cleaned up for selling.
Ole is a gold magnet my son Ole and Tom hunt out here often

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done!

Congratulations, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread