GOLD RUSH BEGINS TONIGHT

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't dislike turd so much if he just put in the work when the cameras are not on. All offseason he apparently gave the gold no thought. no research, no land contract, no equipment-- just depend on Jack's prayers I guess

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't dislike turd so much if he just put in the work when the cameras are not on. All offseason he apparently gave the gold no thought. no research, no land contract, no equipment-- just depend on Jack's prayers I guess

yea I guess because that worked so good in the past :laughing7:

My guess because all their money fell into their laps, without having to work for it

They are an easy mark by all kinds of scam artists get richer quick schemes,
like the landfill they dug, and the ones
selling them on getting rich off those tiny diamonds in the mud last season :tongue3:

Last edited:

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The hoffmans are the laughing stock of the mining community..but im sure it was planned that way...people love drama...guess thats why my videos dont get views! haha

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, looks like we're to blame for keeping this show on the air. :)

DISCOVERY CHANNEL GRABS DOUBLE DIGIT VIEWERSHIP AND RATINGS GAINS IN OCTOBER

Gold Rush Finishes as October’s #1 Unscripted Show in Total Viewers and Key Demos

Powered by strong returning series and breakout new hits, including ALASKA THE LAST FRONTIER, Gold Rush, and MISFIT GARAGE, Discovery Channel delivered double digit increases in both Prime Time viewership and ratings in Oct. 2014 vs. Oct. 2013. Additionally, Discovery had five of the Top 10 unscripted series among Persons 25-54 for the month on cable with Gold Rush, FAST N’ LOUD, MISFIT GARAGE, EDGE OF ALASKA and ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER, and the top seven unscripted series among Men for the month.

Discovery Channel was up double digits in Oct. vs. Oct. 2013 in Households (+23%), Total Viewers (+21%), Persons 25-54 (+12%), Men 25-54 (+14%) and Women 25-54 (+12%). Discovery also ranked in cable’s Top 10 for the month in Prime Time for Persons 25-54, moving up three positions to #6, Men 25-54, moving up five positions to #4, and for Persons 18-49, moving up four positions to #8, vs. Oct. 2013.

Gold Rush was the #1 unscripted series for the month in Total viewers P2+, Persons 25-54, Men 25-54 and Men 18-49, no exclusions, averaging 3.477 million total viewers P2+ for the month. Season Five of the series premiered on Oct. 17 and was the #1 program in all of cable among Total Viewers P2+ and across all key demos with 3.59 million total viewers for the night.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drama Drama Drama...

Anybody else notice that when Toad needed equipment it was Volvo to the rescue. Who supplied his heavy equipment last year? Volvo. Just so happens Discovery has a track hoe available along with a front end loader. This show is getting more ridiculous each week.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drama Drama Drama...

Anybody else notice that when Toad needed equipment it was Volvo to the rescue. Who supplied his heavy equipment last year? Volvo. Just so happens Discovery has a track hoe available along with a front end loader. This show is getting more ridiculous each week.

:laughing7: they certainly didn't blur it out like they do some cast members Shirts & hats on occasion
when they inadvertently advertise. instead they zoomed right in :laughing7:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...previous miners just abandoned a very nice loader on their new claim.:icon_scratch:

I was laughin' mao when Toad went to start the excavator, supposedly setting for years, it turns over great but doesn't fire, he gets upset, and keeps crankin'.

Any hoe that sat for a couple years, and still turns over should bring a big smile to you face, but not the toad. I'm sure his mechanical ability is limited to key turning.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah...previous miners just abandoned a very nice loader on their new claim.:icon_scratch:

I was laughin' mao when Toad went to start the excavator, supposedly setting for years, it turns over great but doesn't fire, he gets upset, and keeps crankin'.

Any hoe that sat for a couple years, and still turns over should bring a big smile to you face, but not the toad. I'm sure his mechanical ability is limited to key turning.

In that winter weather the battery would be dead and not ready to turn the engine over.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove a Volvo 1120 Loader for years, they are a good reliable machine. Down here it would cost $6000.00 to rent it for the season and about double that for an excavator so his $28,000 in gold that he had - paid for the season and then some not counting the insurance. It's nice to see Todd doing ok because I feel that he has learned quite a bit from the school of hard knocks now. Before the show, his dad asked us here on the forums what we thought of their idea and we all told them that they should hire experienced operators and real gold miners instead of cidiots. Fred, Todd, and his crew have paid their dues the hard way and they are Gold Miners. They would have been a lot better off if they had listened to us in the first place but at that time we didn't know that they had already started filming the first season. I've had great years and bad years as well but the bad years started after the dredge ban for me because I was averaging ½oz a day with my dredge. Then I did well with the trommel but it has been back burnered this year from legal issues that I'm dealing with on the land and then our car wreck last year has caused me to be able to carry one of those nice little blue plaques in my car for the permanently disabled ever since... So this year was a bust as I didn't do hardly any mining because of legal issues on 4 different areas, but the wife got her first nugget :) So any way in my book Todd and Fred are now considered to be miners by me because after all... they have now gone through the same school that we did. Todd still has some learning coming as we all do every year that we let the gold fever control our emotions and we continue mining.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone else notice Todd using a 4' long level to measure for 2" to the foot of drop on the sluice for "little red"? :laughing7:
(That would end up being 1/2" to the foot unless he allowed for the length of the level or take the measurement 1 foot from the start of the level which it didn't appear they did, at least on camera anyway)

GG~

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only want Todd to succeed because he drags down the show so much it'll hurt it. Since Discovery won't dump him, if he keeps failing and making fans madder and madder, they will eventually tune out.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Last two years have been a bust for me as well, forrest fires burned everything to the ground, this years thieves, mechanical failures and lousy ground, but their is always next year...

Attachments

• Aspen fire 006.JPG
    Aspen fire 006.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Aspen fire 007.JPG
    Aspen fire 007.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Aspen fire 008.JPG
    Aspen fire 008.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Aspen fire 009.JPG
    Aspen fire 009.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Aspen fire 010.JPG
    Aspen fire 010.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 123
  • Aspen fire 004.JPG
    Aspen fire 004.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 166
  • Aspen fire 005.JPG
    Aspen fire 005.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 161

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last two years have been a bust for me as well, forrest fires burned everything to the ground, this years thieves, mechanical failures and lousy ground, but their is always next year...

The gas cap is off the motor... Did somebody siphon the gas out?
°
°
°
°
°
°
°

I know °°°that's not funny°°° :) But after the year we have had, you gotta laugh anyway :)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Todd was talking money with the guy who melted the gold and made the bar......if you look on the scale the tray is still full of gold???????????? So, does that guy just leave a pile of gold on the scale and go do a melt? My point being they are discussing the post melt weight? Yet, it looks like the gold that was shown as Todd's was still in the tray. Maybe its there cause he was weighing the next "clean out " for the discovery producers???. I want to believe these guys really are digging and the drama and occasional scripting are the limit.......but, seeing that made me wonder. Also Parker is no dummy by experience he knows that if you have to move the plant closer then it has to be done. Breaking his foremans balls over a repair that would be necessary regardless of the plants, considering the problem was created during normal operation is just b.s... I don't see an owner seeing it the way it was portrayed.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When Todd was talking money with the guy who melted the gold and made the bar......if you look on the scale the tray is still full of gold???????????? So, does that guy just leave a pile of gold on the scale and go do a melt? My point being they are discussing the post melt weight? Yet, it looks like the gold that was shown as Todd's was still in the tray. Maybe its there cause he was weighing the next "clean out " for the discovery producers???. I want to believe these guys really are digging and the drama and occasional scripting are the limit.......but, seeing that made me wonder. Also Parker is no dummy by experience he knows that if you have to move the plant closer then it has to be done. Breaking his foremans balls over a repair that would be necessary regardless of the plants, considering the problem was created during normal operation is just b.s... I don't see an owner seeing it the way it was portrayed.

I have said it a number of times. Discovery and its stockholders are driven by money by the advertisers. If gold is not shown viewers would not watch. With Discovery's deep pockets who is to say that Discovery is not buying gold to be shown. We only see the show after hundreds of hours of editing. We the viewers would never know without being on site during cleanouts if the amount of gold being shown is really being found or peppered. The bottom line is these miners are now actors or actors being miners (you pick) and being paid. They sign contracts and these contracts may or may not have disclosure's written in them. Each week it gets harder for me to watch without laughing and the BS drama that takes place. This show has a huge following and with that being said Discovery is banking the green gold.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back and watched it on the dvr and it is the same gold. In fact you can see exactly where they cut the talk out about the gold, before they went outside. This is a show, so they did that interior scene all at one time. Anyone with directing or producing experience can find the flaws in any program. What you have to remember is that this is a program that is really doing the industry a lot of good. Because we are in the same industry, we see things that the regular audience will not. This is what makes a show and I enjoy it because it really promotes gold mining to the public in a good way that gives the viewers plenty of excitement. Yes, we see the parts that are scripted like Parker's blow up, but we as miners know that it was scripted for the show. Gene is a good mechanic and a Top Hand, I am sure that the worn out connection was seen before the plant was put back together because anyone that works around steel and machinery knows to look over every part as it is disconnected and sitting on the ground. What you are seeing is more of the show for the people who have no idea how to even cut steel... let alone weld it. The best way to watch the show is to laugh at the mistakes that we see while knowing and understanding that for the good of our community °°°The show Must Go On°°° hehe. How many of us reading this thread got into gold mining after watching a gold show on tv? Whether it was George "Buzzard" Massey, Charlton Heston, The Lone Ranger or his side kicks Tony, Parker and Todd, even way back then the need was seen to bring people to our side through good programs. These people aren't mining the miners, they are gathering the public and bringing them in to our world by letting them see the hardships and the mistakes that we miners make to to bring this new money into our world. :treasurechest:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, well said Reed!

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Reed was spot on. Sometimes we need to just enjoy the show. But I still see a lot of fine gold going off the end of those sluice boxes.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I was impressed with Freddies reaction when Dave told him about the deal with Todd. He showed a lot of class.

The reaction of Daves brothers when they found out the other "investor" was Todd was pretty much what I expected. That his dad showed faith in Daves abilities was great! When he showed up with all those machines it was great! MUCH better way to invest than to give Todd cash to buy in! Now all they have to do is keep everything running and they might have a good season for a change.

Previews make it look like the "Hoffman Curse" strikes again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread