Gold specimens found and what the crush looks like

Ore-lock

Nov 23, 2020
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20201217_071544.jpg 20201217_071508.jpg 20201217_071436.jpg 20201217_071436.jpg 20201217_071626.jpg 20201217_071514.jpg 20201217_071514.jpg

Upvote 6

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like gold colored mica. It looks a lot like gold. Here's how you tell the difference. Take a small flake of it and put it on a hard surface. Take an ordinary straight pin and stick it in the flake. Mica will shatter. Gold will flatten.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait for an update...
What happens next?

OP
OP
O

Ore-lock

Nov 23, 2020
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like gold colored mica. It looks a lot like gold. Here's how you tell the difference. Take a small flake of it and put it on a hard surface. Take an ordinary straight pin and stick it in the flake. Mica will shatter. Gold will flatten.
While there is mica there it is very easy to pan out when using dial 1000 hand soap the first wash and then this miracle i discovered doing gold floatation experiments called simple green stainless steel polish on the second wash just spray it directly on the dried materials left from the first and the gold will literally float once it touches the water surface.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You now know what mica schist looks like and feels like.

Don’t completely abandon the possibility of there being gold present. Sample the material surrounding the mica schist...crush and pan it to see if you have free milling gold.

Love to see your recovered gold.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And remember, if you smelt it, you dealt it!:tongue3:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it....this is what the "real stuff" looks like,recovered today :) 011.JPG

tlh2865

Jan 4, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mining Engineering student here! A couple of things I'd like to toss out. I have never worked at a gold mine, but I know people who have worked in the gold mine in Kershaw SC. The Mica Schists can be a vector for gold and I am pretty sure it would have to be in a native form, but I do not know for certain (again, no experience in one of these deposits). You mention floating the gold, and while that is the way we liberate gold in an industrial setting, you have to crush it down to an extremely small size for it to work. Flotation only works when you make the target mineral/metal so hydrophobic that its attraction to air is stronger than the force of its weight which wants it to sink. Unless you use straight mercury as a collector, you'd have to have a specialized setup to float gold. You'd be better off trying to use a gravity separation method, like panning or a shaker table, if you actually have gold.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fire Assay the only way!

Fire Assay. Send a sample to be tested.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ore-lock: all of your posts show a bunch of shiny rocks. Some advice...I shall view your future posts if some precious metals are shown.

aj

OP
OP
O

Ore-lock

Nov 23, 2020
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your input as i have not been educated in this field and am running off everything i can learn thru the internet which is clustered mess of misinformation and just blatant lies. That being said the floatation technique i use actually works the steel polish actually targets the metallic minerals and your right i have to crush my material with mortal and pestal to baby powder consistency. But i have been looking at shakers. Hopefully one day. While im still in my first year of learning I aspire to be the best that i can be for there are great reasons behind me doing this far beyond personal gain. This is a path to enlightenment for me. Not just pulling gold from dirt but transforming the soul and purifying it this is my calling in life. I know it sounds crazy and i probably look insane but thats okay because i know my purpose and accept my destiny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread