Gold Washington Dollar cache: clue inquiry

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Various Seismic generators and magnetic anomoly detector equipment (MADs).
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I enjoy this story and I am surprised no one mentioned that several of these coins have purportedly turned up. The most recent was in 1989? I'll pull up the reference I was just reading about this story this week. Its a bit far for me though.

You need to read the whole thread tommybuckets. I know I mentioned it in one of my replies that the proported finding around 1989 was from a woman who found it "upstream" from the supposed stash, at a location not accessable from the road where she had a flat tire. She would have had to hike down the road (why even would she?) to get to a location where she could get to the river. Also, how did it wash upstream against the flow, in a stream that never really rushes at all, but meanders through a swampy area riddled with sandy banks, long grasses and skunk cabbage?!?!

I know because I visited the area (I live down the road from there) and saw it for myself. There is a very sad point to all this. While there I found at least two campsites where someone had tried to live out along the river searching for the treasure. Both sites were very sad and grimm sights, and very run down and not to mention creepy. One area had rough signs scattered around trying to scare off visitors, rough lookout towers and perches, and wood debris placed about as walking platforms in the soupy marshy ground. The other area had golf balls placed around as "crumbs" to follow and label sections of land already searched. So at least two venturers wasted their time if not their lives looking for this treasure. What they had left in this world they left behind to rot and decay among the rotting and decaying landscape. Don't bother, anobody..... for this is a sad tale of how far people go without really researching a tale of treasure. And if you think I am neysaying the idea so I could keep something all to myself..... then hey.... why not go for it like these other lost fellows did. I will even point the way.

I think this is a good forum for getting information, and for doing research, but nobody.... NOBODY should pull up stakes and gamble their whole life on a quest for treasure..... especially if it is based on hearsay and rumors, with unsupported statements...... not to mention the lack of any logic to these stories. There is no documentation to the truth of the stories, plenty of documentation on the falsehoods of the storires, but too many ignore the facts against there being a treasure. And although it takes many things being true to prove something, it only takes one falsehood to prove it doesn't exist, and there are many more flase statements than ones proven to be true.

Stay home and dream about this one, because that is all it is..... a dream.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No single coins were found up stream or down stream. Yes it is a dream for some and a nightmares for many. Story total untrue.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story is total untrue. I had live in Connecticut most of my life. This story I research the most. Most countries were poor and very few gold coins were minted. Captain Bates live to be over 90 years old and never mention this story. Many people had search for it and wasted their time. If the story was true, it would had been found by now. In the 60's, I had asked a man, marry to a Bate, who was living in the tavern, if his father in law believed the story, and he info me that nobody in the Bate family had heard about this story until they had read a letter to the editor. Since then many treasures magazines repeated the story. She had no proof. Washington Army was poor.
# 167. Very true.

American

Aug 7, 2012
long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, whites Beach hunter id,
There is more to the story. The Torres killed the guards ,after the coins were buried the wagon left in a field and the loyalists dispersed. During the war all the conspiring died for various reasons except for one who fled back to England . He wrote a letter to his sister describing the location

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never replied to myself, just family members. Please tell us all about your opinion about this story. Always good to hear from you.

Last edited:

au-artifax

May 23, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
Various Seismic generators and magnetic anomoly detector equipment (MADs).
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There is more to the story. The Torres killed the guards ,after the coins were buried the wagon left in a field and the loyalists dispersed. During the war all the conspiring died for various reasons except for one who fled back to England . He wrote a letter to his sister describing the location

Alas.... yet another unsupported rendition, even adding more details to pile on top of the other false details. Save it for the campfire story-telling. Unless of course you can dredge up this alleged letter written by an unnamed conspiator to his alleged un-named sister. Without provenence it is garbage information..... simple meandering supposition.... rumor..... and let us not forget.... a lie the grape vine has convinced dreamers was true.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I total agree with you. The Bate family never heard of this story until they had read a letter to the editor of a Hartford newspaper of a old lady. Then, many treasures magazines run with this story for many years, and still may do. I had interviewed a son in law of Mr. William Bates who info me of this statement.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I've got to find time to read through this thread since I share my surname with some of the characters, but...sigh...., no relation I'm guessing as I've never heard of this - no treasure stories in my family anyways.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, I am offering $ 10,000 not for the coins, but just to see a picture of one. No takers yet in all these years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread