Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it was snowing again and the high temps were in the upper 20s so off to the east I went where it is a little warmer and it is rain and not snow. I went back to the park I have been working lately in the grassy picnic areas. Most of the time I go to this park to detect the water and beach, but I have cleaned them out pretty much. I did most of the grass here 15 years ago and then they restricted detecting to the beach and swimming areas. I was recently told they have opened the grass back up to detecting so it’s time to see what has been lost in the past 15 years.

DAY 1
In 5.5 hours wandering around checking to see what’s what and cherry picking mostly high tones and a few good sounding mid tones. I found 255 coins with a face value of $9.96 (including 191 pennies), a cute little cheapie ring, a cheapie earring, a broken key, a 2 ounce sinker, an old laser pointer a few tabs and 2 aluminum cans.

34D4ED05-04A6-4453-AE26-2E210AF1C1C5.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the Civil War bullet school hoping to find some more goodies. It was 28 and frosty. It did warm up to 33 but then the rain started. I continued a grid that I had started that would connect to another grid where I had some luck and found the officers sword belt plate. The ground was wet and sticky and a pain to work with, but I kept swingin.

In 5 hours with the CZ21 I found 43 coins with a face value of $2.47, a gold ring, a 2 piece button face, a merc dime, a coal chit, a piece of decorative pewter, 2 game tabs, a swivel hook, a decent pile of can slaw, aluminum bottle caps and a big handful of can tabs (mostly beaver tails).

E56010B9-68F2-49C5-9AD6-B759D7EA98BA.jpeg

The first goodie was about an hour into the hunt. I had found a few coins, nothing noteworthy. Normally when I get a signal I just go ahead and cut a plug with my shovel but this one sounded close to the surface and was a midtone, so I figured another pop tabs. I pulled out the pin pointer and located it, stuck the trowel in and popped a small shallow plug. I pinpointed in the plug and found a gold edge just under the surface of the grass. It turns out that it was just barely under the ground with the grass growing up through the middle of it and it was a gold ring. It’s a man’s wedding band with three little diamonds in it. It’s decently bent. Shouldn’t be much trouble to straighten. It’s not real heavy, 3.8 grams or 0.12 troy ounces. It’s a thin gold 10k but hey gold is gold. This is the first gold of 2023 and ice is always nice even it they are small.

61325AD1-7E53-4451-BA83-DF9AA191D9DD.jpeg

6EA58BE6-7B37-4A4C-9083-FFAF45227D0E.jpeg

The mercury dime was a nice surprise. It was down in a damp low spot. That’s why it’s so badly tarnished, that area is rarely dry. A 1942 Philadelphia mint. The button was not very deep. It looks like it’s a Civil War navy button and it’s just the front. From what I can find this style was used between 1850 and 1941 so without a backmark it is difficult to determine the age. Considering its condition (badly eaten by the acid soil) I’m thinking civil war, but no way to confirm. Coal chits are common in this area and this one is a number 78. The ornamental piece looks and feels like it might be pewter, but I have no idea what it is a part of. I was hoping to find more of it, but no luck.

B47FC514-0EED-47B7-B6BD-64B3CA7CC883.jpeg

4A2CFBDD-C294-42D1-B4E2-2DB9105A5A16.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back to the park knowing I would probably get piles of pennies, but hoping for a goodie to make it more worthwhile.

I spent 4.5 hours with the CZ21 roaming around looking for the sweet spots. It was above freezing, but the wind has come back which made it quite chilly and it nearly blew me over several times. I almost quit early, but I am a die hard and stuck it out. All together I found 212 coins with a face value of $8.64, 2 sinkers, a Canadian penny, an allen wrench, a little foil and a pile of can tabs.

D44918EA-F738-45F6-B629-A61911558DBA.jpeg

This park has been a penny bank. I have made 4 trips here lately and found 121, 73, 191 and 149 pennies for a total of 534 in 17 hours of detecting.

With snow falling everywhere tomorrow and doctor appointments the rest of the week that will be all I can do this week. Gold, silver and a couple of oldies make it a good week. Piles of clad helped some too. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 17

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, those stacks of pennies make my knees hurt just looking at them! I thought I was a die hard but you make me feel like a sissy. :notworthy:
That's a handsome ring and you certainly deserved it, congrats!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, you might want to test the twisted wire ring. I found an identical one and it tests 14k and sterling silver.
Thanks for the advice, but I can see plating coming off and the dark color of old brass on the gold part so I know it’s not the real deal. When it first came out of the ground I thought it might be, but a little water and a toothbrush revealed the truth. Maybe next time. Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first gold of the year! Sounds like you earned it!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a haul! Beauty of a ring! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your determination to continue rewards you
Congratulations on your beautiful recoveries

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that same style wedding band a few years ago. Wouldn't come anywhere near fitting me it was so small, my wife actually took it and wears it.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it was snowing again and the high temps were in the upper 20s so off to the east I went where it is a little warmer and it is rain and not snow. I went back to the park I have been working lately in the grassy picnic areas. Most of the time I go to this park to detect the water and beach, but I have cleaned them out pretty much. I did most of the grass here 15 years ago and then they restricted detecting to the beach and swimming areas. I was recently told they have opened the grass back up to detecting so it’s time to see what has been lost in the past 15 years.

DAY 1
In 5.5 hours wandering around checking to see what’s what and cherry picking mostly high tones and a few good sounding mid tones. I found 255 coins with a face value of $9.96 (including 191 pennies), a cute little cheapie ring, a cheapie earring, a broken key, a 2 ounce sinker, an old laser pointer a few tabs and 2 aluminum cans.

View attachment 2066300

DAY 2
I went back to the Civil War bullet school hoping to find some more goodies. It was 28 and frosty. It did warm up to 33 but then the rain started. I continued a grid that I had started that would connect to another grid where I had some luck and found the officers sword belt plate. The ground was wet and sticky and a pain to work with, but I kept swingin.

In 5 hours with the CZ21 I found 43 coins with a face value of $2.47, a gold ring, a 2 piece button face, a merc dime, a coal chit, a piece of decorative pewter, 2 game tabs, a swivel hook, a decent pile of can slaw, aluminum bottle caps and a big handful of can tabs (mostly beaver tails).

View attachment 2066301

The first goodie was about an hour into the hunt. I had found a few coins, nothing noteworthy. Normally when I get a signal I just go ahead and cut a plug with my shovel but this one sounded close to the surface and was a midtone, so I figured another pop tabs. I pulled out the pin pointer and located it, stuck the trowel in and popped a small shallow plug. I pinpointed in the plug and found a gold edge just under the surface of the grass. It turns out that it was just barely under the ground with the grass growing up through the middle of it and it was a gold ring. It’s a man’s wedding band with three little diamonds in it. It’s decently bent. Shouldn’t be much trouble to straighten. It’s not real heavy, 3.8 grams or 0.12 troy ounces. It’s a thin gold 10k but hey gold is gold. This is the first gold of 2023 and ice is always nice even it they are small.

View attachment 2066305

View attachment 2066302

The mercury dime was a nice surprise. It was down in a damp low spot. That’s why it’s so badly tarnished, that area is rarely dry. A 1942 Philadelphia mint. The button was not very deep. It looks like it’s a Civil War navy button and it’s just the front. From what I can find this style was used between 1850 and 1941 so without a backmark it is difficult to determine the age. Considering its condition (badly eaten by the acid soil) I’m thinking civil war, but no way to confirm. Coal chits are common in this area and this one is a number 78. The ornamental piece looks and feels like it might be pewter, but I have no idea what it is a part of. I was hoping to find more of it, but no luck.

View attachment 2066303

View attachment 2066304

DAY 3
I went back to the park knowing I would probably get piles of pennies, but hoping for a goodie to make it more worthwhile.

I spent 4.5 hours with the CZ21 roaming around looking for the sweet spots. It was above freezing, but the wind has come back which made it quite chilly and it nearly blew me over several times. I almost quit early, but I am a die hard and stuck it out. All together I found 212 coins with a face value of $8.64, 2 sinkers, a Canadian penny, an allen wrench, a little foil and a pile of can tabs.

View attachment 2066306

This park has been a penny bank. I have made 4 trips here lately and found 121, 73, 191 and 149 pennies for a total of 534 in 17 hours of detecting.

With snow falling everywhere tomorrow and doctor appointments the rest of the week that will be all I can do this week. Gold, silver and a couple of oldies make it a good week. Piles of clad helped some too. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread