71.1 KB · Views: 1,317

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It would probably cost you more to extract them than you'd get from selling them.
There's a smelter's fee that runs about $250. Your chips only have a few $ worth of gold on them. :)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,200

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
pretty much what U see is what U get for content they only plated as well..prob not enough to fill a small cavity..lol.
the pins are not solid..
& total there prob less than a cple bucks.
Ebay'm

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
goldguru said:
pretty much what U see is what U get for content they only plated as well..prob not enough to fill a small cavity..lol.
the pins are not solid..
& total there prob less than a cple bucks.
Ebay'm

or destroy them. you never know what kind of personal info can be extracted from

passed along used p.c. chips.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ripping some apart right Now.
Taking what I Think is Gold
& Going to Burn the rest of the Boards.
Keeping all Pins in a small Gold Vile
Just Because.

Maybe yard sale one day with
"Make an Offer"

Somone may Think they are Valuable

Picture 011.jpg

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or destroy them. you never know what kind of personal info can be extracted from

Just FYI- Hard drives are the only thing in a PC that information is stored on. Used processors, memory modules, etc are totally safe to toss.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of along with the idea of this thread...I've heard that catalytic converters have platinum in them. What's this all about?

Scott

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
AU24K said:
Kind of along with the idea of this thread...I've heard that catalytic converters have platinum in them. What's this all about?

Scott
i have been a catalytic buyer for years thats all i do. i have a web site with prices. http://www.firstamericancore.com the converters also have pladium, and rhodium. if any one has many, i can pick them up or they can be mailed to me. i pay GREAT ! maybe near the best in the world.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,993

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
mojjax said:
My friend was going to throw these in the trash . I said "I'll takem"

Are they worth saving ?

They are INTEL Chips .
i think intel chips can go for up to 25 bucks each... mother boards are 2.65 right now per pound. my brother melted down probably 100 computers with acid and only got about 5 grams of pure gold, but they were old crappy apple computers.

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
"

Are they worth saving ?

They are INTEL Chips .
[/quote]i think intel chips can go for up to 25 bucks each... mother boards are 2.65 right now per pound. my brother melted down probably 100 computers with acid and only got about 5 grams of pure gold, but they were old crappy apple computers.
[/quote]

would that be crapple?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
traderoftreasures said:
i have been a catalytic buyer for years thats all i do. i have a web site with prices. http://www.firstamericancore.com the converters also have pladium, and rhodium. if any one has many, i can pick them up or they can be mailed to me. i pay GREAT ! maybe near the best in the world.
Went to your web site. are your prices for the entire converter or just the insides? Never heard of all those names, are they all converters? Those things must be pretty heavy. Since I am in SoCA does it really pay to ship them back east to you?

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
cyberdan said:
traderoftreasures said:
i have been a catalytic buyer for years that's all i do. i have a web site with prices. http://www.firstamericancore.com the converters also have palladium, and rhodium. if any one has many, i can pick them up or they can be mailed to me. i pay GREAT ! maybe near the best in the world.
Went to your web site. are your prices for the entire converter or just the insides? Never heard of all those names, are they all converters? Those things must be pretty heavy. Since I am in SoCA does it really pay to ship them back east to you?
yes the prices are for different converters. and the price is for full converters / half full are only half price. If you can buy for cheap or get them for free it's worth it also you can ship many of them cheaper and you can get insurance which will assure that you get paid now matter the circumstance. the 4 dot, vent tube, single plug, jumbo, and gm are all general motor converters, the strait edge, fish tail, and jeep are all Chrysler,plymouth,dodge converters. smalls, Pres, 2 pipe, 3 pipe scorpions, and wide gap rear ford are all fords. and most of the rest are imports. some are rhodium rich, some are palladium rich. in a good mixed pile it would probably bring around 40 to 45 dollars each

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
the process for separation, takes some time and chemicals
its worth it if you do it regularly, and gain a scrap quantity
pm me how much you have, or are you keeping it
edit,sorry where in pic its mostly 14k, meant to say, mostly
10k sometimes 14k

Attachments

• gold boards.jpg
    gold boards.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 981

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
cw0909 ,

None of the gold plating on most any electronic component is 10K, 14K, or 18K. The only exception I've seen is a Au/Pd alloy that was used for plating reed switches. I'm sure there are other rare exceptions, but these certainly don't include the parts in the photos. The plating on the ICs in the photo is most probably 99.99% pure (24K). Anything less would discolor when they are heated during the chip attachment or lid attachment (for the one with the gold plated lid, at least). Gold plated PCB fingers are nearly always plated with gold of at least 99% (23.76K) purity. For fingers, connector pins, or anything that could exhibit wear from multiple insertions, from .1% to 1% of cobalt or nickel is normally added to produce a harder deposit.

There are gold plating baths, used for decorative purposes, such as costume jewelry, that are called 14K, 18K, etc. However, the deposits from these only give a 14K or 18K color. In actuality, they are about 21 -23K. The color of plated gold is different than that of cast gold. With plated gold, it takes much less alloying ingredients to produce a pale color. Even with the addition of only 1% cobalt (99% gold), the plating will be noticeably paler than 24K plating, under the right light.

I'm curious where you got the idea that these parts are plated with 10, 14, or 18K gold. If an electronic tester was used to get this information, I'm afraid they are worthless for the determination of the purity of gold plating, unless it is very, very thick. The thickest gold plating you're likely to find on any electronic parts is about .0001", and I doubt if even that would qualify.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Here is another website that may interest you if you're going to get into smelting. The guy was big on a gold prospection site I use to hang out on. He died several years ago but somebody must be keeping up the site. enjoy. pj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions